Silver Oxide button cell (1 Viewer)

cwag

adonis
HSC
N/A
Ok, iv been over this topic numerous times, but i continue getting conflicting diagrams and chemistry invloved with the silver oxide button cell.....can anyone confidently tell me the real anode and cathode reactions, and a diagram? I say this because the diagram and equations in my chemistry contexts2 (longman sciences, irwin, farrelly, vitlin, and garette) give me equations as follows:
Anode: Zn(s)+ 20H-(aq) --> Zn(OH)2(s) + 2e-
cathode: Ag2O(s) + H2O(l) + 2e- --> 2Ag(s) + 2OH-(aq)

the diagram shows a steel cathode with a zn anode case. insulation separting the two, and a Paste of Ag2O separated with a porous medium. However i have seen many variations on this set up? Anyone?

appletooth

HSC
I'm pretty sure the half equations you've quoted are correct. But I think all (minor, plausible) variations are acceptable anyway.

I've memorised a different silver oxide diagram to the one in Chemistry Contexts 2 though. It's in the Jacaranda textbook, which according to that is comprised of a powdered zinc anode, electrolyte (KOH paste) and a graphite-silver oxide cathode.

kenankong

HSC
No the flat bit is the positive and thus the cathode, thats why on the flat side of every button cell battery you see the model, make and a plus symbol - cathode :)

idk what you're thinking but i do know that chemists and physicists may see it differently, reversing the anode and cathode rules, however, the cathode is and always will be the flat side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)