Significant figures/ Decimal places (1 Viewer)

hvf26

Awesome Member
HSC
So in chemistry we're told to use the minimum number of sig figs in the question, but what about physics? do we do the same? or give it to 3 sig figs always or 2 d.p always?

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I don't think it really matters in either Physics or Chemistry because if you check the standard packages the exemplarary samples have responses with the final answer to various significant figures/decimal points. However it would be advised that you at least put in brackets to how many significant figures/decimal points you have rounded off your value to.

HSC
Uni Grad
I usually do scientific notation to 2 d.p. but I don't think it's something you'll get marked for...

whitnall8

HSC
I did physics last year and it was important for the practicals (although i can't remember what the exact rules for sig figs were) to use the right number of significant figures, but it didn't matter for the theory exams as long as it was a reasonable number.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I don't think it really matters in either Physics
This is true. Except for nuclear fission related calculations in the Quantum to Ducks options module.

or Chemistry
I'm not too sure about this. Because quite a few times (eg. titrations and mole calculations) you are dealing with small quantities...

However it would be advised that you at least put in brackets to how many significant figures/decimal points you have rounded off your value to.
I don't think this is necessary for the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)