Significance of Jihad? (1 Viewer)

ohai

HSC
Hi there.
Not really trying to ask for you to do my homework. Just some feedback.

I've been asked to explain the significance of the concept of jihad as part of our Islam depth study for the prelim course. The main points I have come up with are:

- Jihad is a struggle against evil. Muslims believe fighting is ok if it is to put something right or to defend Islam.
- The most important jihad is within the self; resisting the nafs.
- “Islam” is the Arabic word for submission. Submission demands struggle as it is god’s will that people will struggle in his path. As such Jihad is of critical significance to submitting to god.
[FONT=&quot]- Muslims believe this struggle will bring peace to society and recognise the divine reality of our consciousness.

Think i'm missing any major points, or have anything incorrect?
If i'm doing anything wrong by asking this please let me know, don't just go ahead and lock this thread.
Cheers.
[/FONT]

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Hi there.
Not really trying to ask for you to do my homework. Just some feedback.

I've been asked to explain the significance of the concept of jihad as part of our Islam depth study for the prelim course. The main points I have come up with are:

- Jihad is a struggle against evil. Muslims believe fighting is ok if it is to put something right or to defend Islam.
- The most important jihad is within the self; resisting the nafs.
- “Islam” is the Arabic word for submission. Submission demands struggle as it is god’s will that people will struggle in his path. As such Jihad is of critical significance to submitting to god.
[FONT=&quot]- Muslims believe this struggle will bring peace to society and recognise the divine reality of our consciousness.

Think i'm missing any major points, or have anything incorrect?
If i'm doing anything wrong by asking this please let me know, don't just go ahead and lock this thread.
Cheers.
[/FONT]
LOL...you make me sound like a nazi mod who locks everything that comes into my forum!

Only the rubbish and the spam which this is clearly neither

Looks good though there is something about "Jihad is a struggle against evil.Muslims believe fighting is ok if it is to put something right or to defend Islam" that just doesnt sound right.

Worded badly and sounds like you are saying that Islam is evil, terrorists etc (which Im sure youre not)

I would change it to talk about Greater and Lesser Jihad

Define Jihad- "Struggle" (not against evil as not everything is evil that ones encounters in Jihad- does depend upon your defn of evil I guess but Im using it at the "its reallly, really, really bad" end of the spectrum eg Hitler!

You have mentioned Greater Jihad (struggle within self)- focus more on this and if you have to talk about Lesser Jihad (Defence of Islam), make sure you get it right, define the rules and dont depict Muslims as a bunch of 'terrorists' (ala most media outlets)

HTH

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)