Shrek and Immigrant Chronicle!!! (1 Viewer)

rsingh

HSC
Hey,

I need a film as related material for the AOS, so do you guys rekon that Shrek is one that relates, clearly, to the concept of Physical Journeys?
The problem is? I cannot answer these questions on it.

What is the purpose of embarking on the journey?
What does the traveller learn from the journey?
What are the obstacles/challenges the traveller faces?
What is the result of the journey?

I also wish to link Shrek with Immigrant Chronicle? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot guys!

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
Straight-forward, Un analytical answers? Here you go:

What is the purpose of embarking on the journey? To give the beautiful Princess Fiona to Lord Farquad, though mainly to get the posession of his swamp back.

What does the traveller learn from the journey? He falls inlove with Fiona, learning that beauty is on the inside, not the outside (again, simple... sorry I'm not more... wordy.), That he could always use a friend, and how important friendship is. Shrek has good character development.

What are the obstacles/challenges the traveller faces? You really need help with this one? Dragon, Lord Farquad, knights, fairy-tale creatures, Donkey, Fiona, his percieved ugliness.

What is the result of the journey? Shrek gets Fiona, because of his personality and innocence, not his looks. He looks past himself and sees whats inside of him, begins to open up to people instead of following his recluse behaviour, and so on.

rsingh

HSC
Thanks a lot.

Just one more thing, do you know of any particular scenes in the movie where Physical Journeys are clearly represented - one with good techniques.

If so, which one, and what are the techniques used and their effect?

Thanks again!

Stomping Ground

Complicated name, no gain
HSC
Throught the whole "on the road again" song, there is clear representation of journey, as they walk from the cave "thats the moon donkey" to the final place of "weed-rat". Thats all physical journey. And the song is a technique (and a related text in itself).

This is my little set up of the movie. Its not very good at all though. Just quick to satisfy to my teacher that I do work.

The purpose of Shrek’s journey is to give the beautiful Princess Fiona to Lord Farquad, and also to get the deed of his swamp back. Shrek’s catalyst for this journey are meeting Donkey, and Donkey’s behaviour as to what he calls friendship. Another matter crucial for causing Shrek’s journey is the placement of the “fairy-tale creatures” in his swamp, and his desire to be rid of them. The dialogue in this opening introduction is, from Shrek, an exasperated tone, which adds to the fact that he prefers his own company.

On the journey he learns very important things about himself. He falls in love with Fiona, learning that beauty is on the inside, not the outside, and that love is stronger then looks. that he could always use a friend, and how important friendship is. He finds a new respect for himself and others, and learns of the nature of the world, and that it is not as ‘anti-ogre’ or ‘racist’ as he thinks. He learns that there is some good in the world, and not everyone is against him.

There are many things which Shrek has to overcome, both physically and mentally. These include the Dragon, who he has to defeat to get Fiona to return to Lord Farquad, who he then has to overcome aswell, as Lord Farquad is a very ‘racist’ person, instantly taking a dislike to Shrek because he is not a human. Donkey and Fiona are more complicated, as he instantly takes a grudge against them for his attitude to them both being ‘racist’. He slowly sees that the world is not as cruel as he thinks, and begins to show his feelings, though as soon as he does, he loses faith in everyone but himself again when he assumes that everyone this he is ugly. At last, the final challenge he has to overcome is his self-perceived ugliness.

Finally, Shrek gets Fiona, because of his personality and innocence, not his looks. He looks past himself and sees what’s inside of him, begins to open up to people instead of following his recluse behaviour. His attitude to people and society in general has changed now, as he feels more accepted into average life. (though not for long, right “Shrek 2?”)

Like I said, it's not great, but its a start.

rsingh

HSC
Thanks a lot.
You've been very helpful.
Just one last thing,

do you have any ideas on how I may thematically link Shrek to Peter Skrzynecki's poems.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Aeolior

HSC
Shrek sounds interesting, :p pretty cool text. But, I'll just share some info with you, I asked my teacher if that was a good related text, and she said that, Shrek is related to physical journeys, however you lose the touch of looking at a text in a sophisticated manner, also your text should have several, or at least 1 but powerful aspect which relates to physical journeys. Unless, if you can perceive much deeper, sophisticated ideas of physical journeys in shrek

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)