Show don't tell- help!!!!! (1 Viewer)

muramasa

HSC
Hey everyone,
I keep on getting "Show, don't tell" when dealing with creative writing but what do they really mean?
How can I improve this?
I only ever write the action in my stories and barely any description(I'm an action-loving person- don't like to be stopped with description LOL). Unfortunately, that means terrible marks in creative stories, despite often coming up with creative plots.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
http://community.boredofstudies.org...719/guide-creative-writing-examples-mark.html -have a read through this guide-it has some pretty comprehensive information that can help to answer your question:)

I think an important tip I can give you is to carefully consider every single sentence you put into your creative-make sure they contribute to enhancing your creative in some way. Strive to write base on your own personal experiences and consider and resolve the structure of your creative, the plot, character development, key thematic concerns about belonging and setting. If you plan ahead before you write, it will assist you to write a better creative. Lastly, remember to do plenty of practice:)-practice and feedback makes perfect:)

Smile12345

HSC
Hey everyone,
I keep on getting "Show, don't tell" when dealing with creative writing but what do they really mean?
How can I improve this?
I only ever write the action in my stories and barely any description(I'm an action-loving person- don't like to be stopped with description LOL). Unfortunately, that means terrible marks in creative stories, despite often coming up with creative plots.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can improve?
'Strawberrye''s post is great... :)

And the link does have this but, "Show not tell" - is like instead of saying "He was angry" (tell), show how he was angry - did he yell? What were his actions to Show he was angry??

Good luck. :)

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
Show them he's angry by describing facial expression, body language and actions.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
It depends...could you give an example of your creative writing? The best way to "show" is always reveal any details about your characters, place or plot that is very specific so your audience has a better grasp of imagery and stuff :p Annie Proulx is a writer who does is marvellously well, although her style is a bit hard to get into, her imagery is sensational haha so there's an author for inspiration.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Goku's muscles tightened, and he clenched his fists till his knuckles turned white. The vascularity on his arms became much more prominent as he raised his hands together in unison. He was shaking from exhaustion.

"YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH THIS FRIEZAAA!!!!"

Rays of light began to ignite, folding over one another into a sphere of hot energy between his palms.

"Kaaaaa...." The light rays shimmered in the air.

"Meeee......haaaaaa" The sphere began to glow.

"Me HAAAAAA!!!!" The energy wave ripped through the air causing a sonic boom. It raced towards the tiny entity of Frieza with graceful intensity, immeasurably powerful.

*Insert biological sequence of events when hot plasma interacts with cells in Frieza's body*

lol

There's some showing not telling.

If you wanna read a sample of my novel/short story lemme know :)

subtly sci fi crime empire wars, between chinese, russians etc.

Last edited:

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
Goku's muscles tightened, and he clenched his fists till his knuckles turned white. The vascularity on his arms became much more prominent as he raised his hands together in unison. He was shaking from exhaustion.

"YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH THIS FRIEZAAA!!!!"

Rays of light began to ignite, folding over one another into a sphere of hot energy between his palms.

"Kaaaaa...." The light rays shimmered in the air.

"Meeee......haaaaaa" The sphere began to glow.

"Me HAAAAAA!!!!" The energy wave ripped through the air causing a sonic boom. It raced towards the tiny entity of Frieza with graceful intensity, immeasurably powerful.

*Insert biological sequence of events when hot plasma interacts with cells in Frieza's body*

lol

There's some showing not telling.

If you wanna read a sample of my novel lemme know :)

I'd say its pretty interesting, most friends think so too. It's subtly sci fi crime empire wars, between chinese, russians etc.
Man, if i didnt know dbz, i wouldve sounded kamehameha like this (Kar-me-har-me-har) lol :D

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
instead of saying "he felt sad" say "the tear rolled down his face as he tried to reminise about ..."

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
i didn't write that but that sounds even more better. ill take it :p

i also learnt this then when you're writing; don't say "he was very tired" instead write "he was exhausted"

try to avoid using the word "very, more" and some other ones on the list i cant remember

it shows the marker "i know smart words and i am sophisticated" and it stops you from repeating yourself

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
he meant instead of saying "rolled down" u say "trickled"
o_O that sounds even more better :p

OP, we have a story in the marking.

Ill start and everyone add on a sentence:

As the memories flooded in a tear trickled against his face as he reminisced about that night.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)