Should women be allowed to serve in the infantry? (1 Viewer)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Fighting on the front line. The IDF do it.

If a woman can perform at an equal level to a male infantryman, why should they not be allowed to do so?

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Women will never be able to perform at exactly the same level as men because they are inferior/

No but seriously i have always percieved women as less emotionally stable, especially when being shot at, are there any studies to back this up? Because this would be an influencing factor.

How would you test to see which women can perform as good as the men?

Do the IDF have women on the frontline or just in infantry support roles?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
No but seriously i have always percieved women as less emotionally stable, especially when being shot at, are there any studies to back this up? Because this would be an influencing factor.

How would you test to see which women can perform as good as the men?
The same physical and psychological exams male applicants have to go through should be enough to screen female applicants. If they aren't, why are we trusting them for male applicants?

There may well be a real basis to your perception, but there are plenty of men out there with serious issues, who you wouldn't trust with a gun. With proper screening, and subsequent training to cope with combat stress, it shouldn't be a substantial issue. Perhaps more women will fail psychological screening. So be it, but if testing is properly orchestrated, the ones who do pass through should be as suitable as their male counterparts.

Women in the IDF may be drafted or volunteer for infantry combatant service which places them directly in the line of enemy fire.

Last edited:

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
I dont think there is a front line anymore.

According to an army woman on the colbert report there isn't.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
This is a very difficult question to answer unless you have had some sort of experience in the defence forces.

Just one thing off the top of my head, is that males instinctively feel protective of women. If males are constantly trying to protect their female co-workers who are on the front line, it could lead to a heap of stupid mistakes and compromising the mission. One of my mates also said that fraternisation is a big problem in the army. If some of the female soldiers are sleeping around a lot, this could cause resentment and problems with group cohesion.

It theory, i will tentatively support women being allowed to serve wherever they want, as long as they are up the scratch and can pass the tests and thats what they want to do. It would probably need field trials and stuff though to see how it goes, but i am all for equality, and if they want to die on the front then sure thing, go ahead.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
This is a very difficult question to answer unless you have had some sort of experience in the defence forces.

Just one thing off the top of my head, is that males instinctively feel protective of women. If males are constantly trying to protect their female co-workers who are on the front line, it could lead to a heap of stupid mistakes and compromising the mission. One of my mates also said that fraternisation is a big problem in the army. If some of the female soldiers are sleeping around a lot, this could cause resentment and problems with group cohesion.

It theory, i will tentatively support women being allowed to serve wherever they want, as long as they are up the scratch and can pass the tests and thats what they want to do. It would probably need field trials and stuff though to see how it goes, but i am all for equality, and if they want to die on the front then sure thing, go ahead.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Fighting on the front line. The IDF do it.
Oh cool lets do everything the IDF do because they are bastions of freedom and equality

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A

This is a subtle form of sexism.

If these women are in the army, they dont need a man constantly holding their hand and patting their head.

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
Yeah i think if they can pass the same screening tests as men then they should be allowed to join the infantry.

As much as i think women are inferior, if they meet the sam physical and emotional criteria as men then they can fight. Not that many women will cos they are weak lol. omg sexist hehe.

But yeah

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I agree with Serious. Pretty sure that there are studies out there, somewhere, which show that men will put themselves in unnecessary danger to protect women on the frontline. Lowers the overall effectivness of the unit.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think that if they can meet the same requirements as men (physically and mentally) that they should be allowed to serve in any and all combat units should they so desire. So this includes infantry but also other units which they are currently excluded from.

As far as the assertion that men would act instinctively to defend women and that this would somehow jeopardise the whole unit/mission; it would seem that this ignores men acting instinctively to defend men. Certainly the literature I've read on it and people I know who have been/are in the armed forces indicates that soldiers have a higher devotion to the rest of their unit than they do to notions of country and cause. Ultimately camaraderie among the rank and file, indeed the whole notion of esprit de corps, rests on soldiers (men) acting instinctively to protect other soldiers (men).

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
I agree with Serious. Pretty sure that there are studies out there, somewhere, which show that men will put themselves in unnecessary danger to protect women on the frontline. Lowers the overall effectivness of the unit.
*citation required.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sure men protect men in the army, but I think it's different in that they wouldnt be acting on some deep psychological assumption about the other man's weakness and need to be protected, whether he's injured or in potential harms way.

I just think it's bs to throw around the 'sexist' talk and live in this lala land where there is zero gender difference and we're all - the - same. Dont you see the dirty communism youre all swallowing?

I think i'll jump the shark if I invoke my religion again, so I dont have citation for any of my claims. I just know in my guts' it's nuts

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Yeah i think if they can pass the same screening tests as men then they should be allowed to join the infantry.

As much as i think women are inferior, if they meet the sam physical and emotional criteria as men then they can fight. Not that many women will cos they are weak lol. omg sexist hehe.

But yeah
I never said it was fair, and I dont support it, i am all for equality. I am trying to think of valid reasons why the army thinks women aren't allowed on the front lines and that came up as a strong reason from my army friends. I dont know if men SHOULD act protective of women. Part of me feels that we should because they tend to be physically weaker and morally we should protect those weaker than us. That thought process could be because of social reasons and how i have been raised though, and the thinking part of me thinks it is not fair to automatically label women as weaker and unable to look after themselves and hence needing my protection.

The fact is though that a viewpoint like that is pretty common. Its more because of the influence of christian morality than anything, but men overwhelmingly act protective towards women. If i saw a woman being beat up in an alley way i would feel like i HAD to go help her, if it was a man i would look out for my own safety and not help. I have no idea if a study on this has ever been done, or how you would go about measuring "protectiveness" . Its not fair and i dont agree with it, but that could be the reasoning behind the defence forces decision.

HSC
Yes I'm fairly certain these were mentioned on Q&A.

But surely rather than banning women from the infantry, it would be better to train the male soldiers to have more confidence in the abilities of their female counterparts (which would probably happen over time once women began to participate in the infantry anyway).

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
why dont we just make every country have a female head of state and then there will be no wars at all.

girl power.

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Sure men protect men in the army, but I think it's different in that they wouldnt be acting on some deep psychological assumption about the other man's weakness and need to be protected, whether he's injured or in potential harms way.

I just think it's bs to throw around the 'sexist' talk and live in this lala land where there is zero gender difference and we're all - the - same. Dont you see the dirty communism youre all swallowing?

I think i'll jump the shark if I invoke my religion again, so I dont have citation for any of my claims. I just know in my guts' it's nuts
god doesn't exist you fucking ape

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes I'm fairly certain these were mentioned on Q&A.

But surely rather than banning women from the infantry, it would be better to train the male soldiers to have more confidence in the abilities of their female counterparts (which would probably happen over time once women began to participate in the infantry anyway).
I would like to think that you cant 'learn' to accept women as men. It's something, like, deep and psychological that cant be got at, ya hear? From, like, the womb and shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)