Should virginity be regarded as a virtue in modern society? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Standard Voltaire Quote goes Here.
"I do not agree with what you say, and if one more person misattributes that quote to me I'll fight to the death to destroy them"?

williamc

HSC
You need practice before you actually meet the 'one'.

I can't imagine how shit it would be, to met the love of your life, you get her into the sack and you don't make hot, passionate love to her, but rather lie there like a log and end up enjoying yourself a tad quick. (same goes for the chick if she lies there like a starfish)

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
Re: About hymen existence

sex seems to involve too much energy and effort.
i'd prefer to sleep.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

hurikai said:
Where did this concept of 'one true love' come from? I think it's been embedded into our subconscious by endless viewing of soap operas and romantic comedies. I agree that we live in an impure and corrupt world, but at a certain point idealism just turns into delusion.

For me, a proper working relationship consists of shared experiences and shared emotions and a genuine connection, along with a healthy sexual desire for the other person. I think that these criteria can work for any number of people in the world.

Monogamy, or that "one true love" shit you speak of, is a biological construct.

Easier to successfully raise kids if both partners stick around.

Re: virginity; It's not necessarily a VIRTUE, but I personally waited for the "right" person to come a long because it was more of a trust issue than anything else.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
hurikai said:
Where did this concept of 'one true love' come from? I think it's been embedded into our subconscious by endless viewing of soap operas and romantic comedies.
lol

topic: virtue? not nessecarily. burden? not nessecarily. anything? not nessecarily. :D

kwayera said:
But I'm sure you didn't want to know that.
We'd have burned you at the stake in the middle ages.

Sarah160

HSC
Well, i think that it all depends. I think that religion definately comes into this to some degree, like i think that the different beliefs held by society as a whole vs the different subgroups mean that different decisions are held in higher esteem among some circles. So in light of that, i think that while among religious circles virginity may be a virtue, among secular society being in a stable and healthy relationship is probably considered virtuous enough.

i'm not trying to say "Christians have higher moral standards and therefore are above the rest of you guys", however i think that because the belief system of christianity, and most religous groups, publishes virginity as a virtue, then it should be considered a virtue among these groups. Remaining a virgin untill marriage in non-religious society is often laughed at as an outdated and novel concept, so i suppose that even if it is virtuous it's not going to be considered that to any real extent.

So pretty much i think that a fulfilling and meaningful relationship can be had no matter how many sexual partners somebody has had, however i do think that it would be nice to be able to say that you've saved something of yourself for this one person, and that it's something of you that nobody else will ever see. For me that makes it all the more special, however i wouldn't judge somebody else for not seeing things the same way.

dlahx

HSC
its not really just religion, its just the way you could be brought up but then again noone can really find our if youre a virgin or not anyway, can they?
personally, id rather date a virgin...... tradition maybe?

ippie

HSC

Kwayera said:
Monogamy, or that "one true love" shit you speak of, is a biological construct.

Easier to successfully raise kids if both partners stick around.

Re: virginity; It's not necessarily a VIRTUE, but I personally waited for the "right" person to come a long because it was more of a trust issue than anything else.
no, not biological. we are conditioned to believe that monogamy is the way to go.

It's just that we've accepted monogamy to be a norm in our society and any thing else = fail. Well, generally.

Sarah160 said:
Remaining a virgin untill marriage in non-religious society is often laughed at as an outdated and novel concept, so i suppose that even if it is virtuous it's not going to be considered that to any real extent.
hmmm you think? I'm not religious (at all, actually i'm kinda against the idea of organised religion, but anyway) and I don't think any less of people who hold their virginity in high regard. I wouldn't laugh at the idea either, and I don't see why any one should. Do people actually laugh at that? Their heads must be fucked up.

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
Virginity isn't that sacred. Virginity is overrated totally. Virgins don't know what they are missing out on.

esquared

HSC
Born2baplacebo said:
Virginity isn't that sacred. Virginity is overrated totally. Virgins don't know what they are missing out on.
the answer is "sex", and i believe they are aware of it.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i dunno about a virtue.

i do think it's admirable though, if your doing it for the right reasons i.e. becuase you want the first time to be special with love etc. not Oh, i'm catholic.

Sarah160

HSC

ippie said:
I wouldn't laugh at the idea either, and I don't see why any one should. Do people actually laugh at that? Their heads must be fucked up.
I didn't mean to make such a sweeping generalization, however yes i have been mocked to quite a large degree because of my decision, and i've heard stories of many of my friends who have experienced the same thing

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC

ippie said:
no, not biological. we are conditioned to believe that monogamy is the way to go.

It's just that we've accepted monogamy to be a norm in our society and any thing else = fail. Well, generally.
Speaking to a biologist here, dear. It IS a biological construct. A monogamous relationship (or more commonly, the appearance of one!) raises the chances of successfully raising children to sexual maturity.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Would you want to marry a guy that is so inexperienced that he doesn't know what goes where? (Think of the newlyweds in Forgetting Sarah Marshall).

- and why are you just talking about FEMALE virgins? Why is it such a crime to be sexually experienced?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
theshortykatt said:
nope i believe your wrong there.
when you get married, do you want to marry someone who has slept around with many girls?? i dont think you or anyone would.

has anyone heard the phrase "sex is like a piece of sticky tape" ??
how ridiculously black and white is your argument? A guy who may have slept around with a number of girls (whatever many means), you automatically associate him as some heartless manwhore with no respect for women. Much the same vice versa.

If I love someone enough to marry them, which would mean I would have made a relationship with this person for a decent amount of time, thus know each other through and through, their past sex life is entirely irrelevant to me.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm not - it was just a hilarious summarisation of the ridiculousness of "virginity as a virtue, and damn all you sluts who don't think so'.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
theshortykatt said:
it is black and white to me.

this topic all depends on your beliefs.

Being Christian, there is no point in trying to convince me of anything else.
I didn't realise you were religious, and normally I wouldn't have quoted you in the first place if I had known, so I apologise.

But generally, with any religious ideal; if hypothetically you wipe out this religious ideal, you still somewhat agree with it. Religion only strengthens your already confirmed morals.

Otherwise, you're not a very well-brought up Christian if you don't from time to time question/understand the reasoning to what the Bible tells you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)