Should Universities have stricter English requirements/standards.. (1 Viewer)

Stricter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
G

Gavvvvvin

Hard to follow for who? The international students? Tough luck, should've thought about that before coming over here then.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Gavvvvvin said:
Hard to follow for who? The international students? Tough luck, should've thought about that before coming over here then.
Its been established that there are lecturers who AREN'T as easy to follow for both local students and international students.

Please don't degenerate into an attack, as it is sounding.

choc-chip

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Well, it is to be expected that acadamic staffs of UNSW are consisted with intelligent people who come from various background, oh and we should be also reminded that not everyone of them speaks good English like you and me. If it's
Gavvvvvin said:
Hard to follow for (you). Tough luck, should've thought about that before coming over here(UNSW) then.

G

Gavvvvvin

Escuse me? Are you trying to tell me that if I find it hard to understand certain UNSW lecturers that I should not have gone there?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Gavvvvvin said:
Escuse me? Are you trying to tell me that if I find it hard to understand certain UNSW lecturers that I should not have gone there?
you don't get the irony, do you
u said a similar thing about international students and now this is edited and directed towards u
feels good?

G

Gavvvvvin

tlodg said:
you don't get the irony, do you
u said a similar thing about international students and now this is edited and directed towards u
feels good?
Are you fucking stupid? This is Australia, and the last time I looked, English was the official language. If you cant speak fluent English you have no business being a lecturer in this country, or as far as I'm concerned, any other job which involves communicating with the public. I'm sorry if you find it so strange that I expect people in such positions to have a basic grasp of the language.

Last edited by a moderator:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Gavvvvvin said:
Are you fucking stupid? This is Australia, and the last time I looked, English was the official language. If you cant speak fluent English, you have no business being a lecturer in this country, or as far as I'm concerned, any other job which involves communicating with the public. I'm sorry if you find it so strange that I expect people in such positions to have a basic grasp of the language.
I didn't say that people who don't speak fluent english can be a lecturer here, did I? Besides, I think that universities should have stricter English requirements when it comes to admissions. There should be some kind of oral test/exam. This is one of the reasons why I made this thread in the first place. If I believe the English language requirements should stay as it is now, I wouldn't have been inspired to start a poll like this. There is no need for you to get so offensive. I'm just guessing what choc-chip is trying to say. And saying someone's stupid doesn't prove you right or smarter.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Gavvvvvin said:
Haha. No.
It's okay, people have different perspectives when judging someone on the looks.

choc-chip

HSC
Personally, I'm v. curious about what course is Gavvvvvin doing. If he's seriously concerned about the teaching quality of UNSW or communication barriers btw group mates, I'd advice him to tranfer to UWS at penrith campus, (according to where he comes from) which I'd assume there will be less international students as well as more lectures who speak understandable English.

turtleface

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Are you fucking stupid? This is Australia, and the last time I looked, English was the official language. If you cant speak fluent English you have no business being a lecturer in this country, or as far as I'm concerned, any other job which involves communicating with the public. I'm sorry if you find it so strange that I expect people in such positions to have a basic grasp of the language.
jeez you xenophobe...part of the probelm is there are not enough qualified people willing to become lecturers here, mainly due to the low pay, and also because we simply do not have the right qualified people...hence the imports.

However, I agree it is difficult to understand lecturers whose pronounciation is a bit unorthodox.

also, with regards to overseas students mentioned earler, without the fees overseas students bring in, I daresay every University would be insolvent. However, I also believe that the University does not have stringent enough english requirements for people coming in. Malaysians/Singaporeans/Indians/Sri Lankans are ok cause english is like one of their national languages anyway but I see a lot of Chinese students struggle at Uni due to english issues.

choc-chip

HSC
turtleface said:
jeez you xenophobe...part of the probelm is there are not enough qualified people willing to become lecturers here, mainly due to the low pay, and also because we simply do not have the right qualified people...hence the imports.

However, I agree it is difficult to understand lecturers whose pronounciation is a bit unorthodox.

also, with regards to overseas students mentioned earler, without the fees overseas students bring in, I daresay every University would be insolvent. However, I also believe that the University does not have stringent enough english requirements for people coming in. Malaysians/Singaporeans/Indians/Sri Lankans are ok cause english is like one of their national languages anyway but I see a lot of Chinese students struggle at Uni due to english issues.
An excellent conclusion!
Lucky that my lecturers don't have that have that problem.

SpLaTHoWA

Bite me.
HSC
Don't get me wrong, I'm Chinese too, but gosh I can't stand some of the international students that come through our uni's. I used to goto UNSW, B.Com ' 05 and now I'm at USYD in the graduate B.Dent course. The quality of the English skills of the international students in both courses simply too different. Maybe it's due to admissions procedure that consists of a literacy component and a face to face interview.
Honest to god I've seen LLB/B.Com international students that can't even speak English. HOW ON EARTH DO YOU DO AN ENGLISH BASED LAW DEGREE WITH NO ENGLISH CAPABILITIES? My little sister has a better command of English than these international students.

Behold, part of a group assignment in the UNSW gened "Work and safety", written by an anonymous Asian international student:

"In the conclusion part I just go through all the part of the report and make this conclusion. Actually, many hazardous in the office, therefore we need to concern this problem. So, in this report we focus the hazard in the office and find the solution to solve that, also the prevention for the hazardous and improvement.

I think I have take many benefit on this report such as the workplace safety."

'Nuff said.

Ralph

The Don
HSC
N/A
Hi everyone, just remember that having not so strict english requirements, means that us domestic students are less likely to fail, as they are more likely to be failed due to that barrier.

turtleface

HSC
Yeah thats true lol

I feel sorry for overseas students with poor english but,

lower english requirements = better marks for locals

SaintMichael

HSC
N/A
lilkiwifruit said:
I don't really know what the standards are out there but quite a few international students I know that go to macq can't even read my sister's year 6 level English novels. :confused:
you actually give your sister's year 6 novel to one of the international student??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)