Should Universities have stricter English requirements/standards.. (1 Viewer)

Stricter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tlodg

HSC
N/A
when it comes to admitting international students?

Anonymou5

HSC
N/A
I don't really see the point in doing that. From my experience, the international students I've worked with in assignments have sound written and oral communication skills. If english requirements are to be changed at all, then they should apply to everyone, not just international students. Because yes, there are some local students who are severely lacking in communication skills.

pete_mate

HSC
im pretty sure they already do, but it wouldnt be too taxing, international students provide so much cash for the uni.

HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:
im pretty sure they already do, but it wouldnt be too taxing, international students provide so much cash for the uni.
Hey Peter! Yeah I can't imagine usyd operating at the same standards/quality without international students.

It's annoying when you have to do groupwork with people that speak minimal english. Especially oral presentations.

M@C D@DDY

HSC
It's the reality unfortunately, because globalisation has forced us to deal with such people. And the tip is..to be successful internationally, you gotta be their friends.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
in indo, your english has to be at a certain standard before they pass you to go off study overseas in an english-speaking country. that standard is fairly low, but in order to get your PR you have to go through IELTS which is a real beyatch but at least it gets them talking alright. perhaps they should make people sit IELTS before they enter uni.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I know it shouldn't, but it does cracks me up when poeple with strong accents do oral presentations.
I'll crack you up so badly! :)

lilkiwifruit

HSC
N/A
I don't really know what the standards are out there but quite a few international students I know that go to macq can't even read my sister's year 6 level English novels. :confused:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
lilkiwifruit said:
I don't really know what the standards are out there but quite a few international students I know that go to macq can't even read my sister's year 6 level English novels. :confused:
You're obviously doing commerce, because the ones I've experienced are as competent as any other student, if not better.

Obviously stricter English requirements would be great, especially for the purposes of International students who will be there for a full degree. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that these students are paying for our unis to run, much like airline businesses don't make money out of economy class, it is catering and the facilitation of those upper 'classes' Full-Fee/International students who help cover the majority of the running costs involved.

Until such a time as this becomes subsidised, either through the Government or through the inception of compulsory Full-Fee payment to get in, thus segragating education to the rich, both unlikely events, then this is the only choice for most universities.

phrred

HSC
A girl in my friends law class at UNSW didnt know her own name. Tutor had to ask her 5 times before she understood it and then she said 'here' when the teacher called out 'hugh'

A post grad accounting student at USYD didn'tt know how to fill out a multiple choice answer sheet because he couldnt read the english

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
I'm even having a hard time trying to understand a foreign lecturer. No offense but, there are chinese & indian lecturers who bores the hell out of everyone because we don't understand.

choc-chip

HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I know it shouldn't, but it does cracks me up when poeple with strong accents do oral presentations.
We cannot denied the fact that some of the accents are hardly to be understood. however, you should also realised you have an accent too, for instance australian. When I first came here from an American school, Aussie accent craked me up too.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Personally I think quality control for international students is ok. Sure, some have trouble speaking English but really some are just as good or better than some of the 'native' english speakers - the only difference being that they speak with an accent, and, being 'stayen accents arn't evil.

That said some international students can be damn annoying. But really I don't think some of the bad student traits are isolated to international students. Some general ground rules for students.

1. Do not gossip in the library about how so and so is going out with so and so. People actrually go to the library because they need to read and do work.

2. Please if you speak another language (or you have a massive American accent) don't talk so loudly. The person you are talking to is less than 1m away from you. You don't have to yell. Please consider others. Actually loud people in general. Anyone who feels the need to inadvertently inform everyone in the room of their highly important conversation.

Last edited:

tlodg

HSC
N/A
that reminds me of a show
where George Michael went to Oprah
and he said when he went to the US people there told him they like his accent
but when he replied with "I like your accent too!"
they said "?? we don't have an accent"

Last edited:

choc-chip

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
Well that is to be expected :rolleyes:
So? It could be stillconsidered as "hard to follow" for some others..
In the school of English, I dislike the way B. Olabus talks, loudsy and rough..
Oh, she's a "native" English speaker too..

By the way, hate the way ppl abuse the term "native English speakers". .oh..Since my parents/parent don't speak proper English, and as a result that i'm not qualified as someone who speaks good English? Total nonsense.

choc-chip

HSC
tlodg said:
that reminds me of a show
where George Michael went to Oprah
and he said when he went to the US people there told him they like his accent
but when he replied with "I like your accent too!"
they said "?? we don't have an accent"
claps..There are ppl who needs to study/travel a bit more to gain a better insight of the world, or perhaps about people outside their own little world..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)