Should there be an Aboriginal voice to parliament? (1 Viewer)

A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishin

• Yes

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • No

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Idk/results

Votes: 35 22.6%

• Total voters

souli

HSC
A minor increase in building costs has a negligible impact on house prices. As for foreigners, I think they generally have a net benefit to Australian society, although I do think that the temporary working visa system needs to be reworked, the focus on low wage jobs just harms Australian workers and wages.

The labor party tried to propose the true solution to housing affordability in 2019 (removing the CGT discount and negative gearing), but voters clearly didn’t want those changes and so there isn’t really much that can be done unfortunately. In the long term reducing vacancy rates and building more houses will help to resolve this, but due to the skills shortage (contributed to by TAFE cuts), that isn’t so easy.
In my opinion, negative gearing has to be removed. I honestly find it disgusting how our economy treats a roof over someone's head as a business, a commodity. It's very sad.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
the doctors that treat the tumour ur obv growing in that dumbass head of urs r gonna be foreigners, trust.

lol i love this logic

>massively increase population through immigration
>also let international students take up places in australian medical degree programs
>create shortage of doctors as a result
>need to rely on foreign doctors
>"see you idiot, we need foreigners!"

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
liberal would have done the same thing. except they wouldn't care abt the average Joe who is currently on welfare.
liberals have actually shown a willingness not to completely simp for china at the very least

and what is labor doing for people on welfare?

theyre both shit, but people are acting like labor is radically better or something

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
In my opinion, negative gearing has to be removed. I honestly find it disgusting how our economy treats a roof over someone's head as a business, a commodity. It's very sad.
economic modelling has shown that negative gearing tax laws are responsible for around 4 -5% of price increases over the past few decades

meanwhile, immigration rates are higher than housing construction rates have ever been, and foreign investors are literally allowed to buy every single apartment in a new apartment building before its even built, and often leave the properties they own unoccupied long term

nsw..wollongong

HSC
lol i love this logic
>massively increase population through immigration
>also let international students take up places in australian medical degree programs
>create shortage of doctors as a result
>need to rely on foreign doctors
>"see you idiot, we need foreigners!"
nah cuz ur acting like int students pay the sm amount as domestic students in uni, they're already proving their place.
u wanna see more domestic student in med degrees? make them perform better. until then, it looks like foreign students r doing a better job at EARNING their place in degrees. I'm just talking based off results and atar entires n whatnot

there's actually the opposite of a shortage of doctors, there r so many post grad med students who have gotten their degrees but can find no where to work (regardless of if they're dom or int) bc of the shortage of WORK PLACEMENTS (not mf doctors??)

souli

HSC
liberals have actually shown a willingness not to completely simp for china at the very least

theyre both shit, but people are acting like labor is radically better or something
Labour isn't radically better but I personally find it aligns with my values; focused on the well-being of society rather than individuals. But yes, they are now practically becoming the same party; two sides of the same coin.

carrotsss

HSC
The liberals approach to diplomatic relations with china was atrocious, they pissed off our biggest trading partner over meaningless bs (pointlessly ruining our economy), then sold a ton of our vital assets to china (giving them control over our country) and then pissed off the pacific islands, giving China an opportunity to gain control over them. The last one is extremely strategically important, control over the pacific islands is very important economically and for the military, and because of the liberal party’s actions, the Solomon Islands and Kiribati established diplomatic relations with China. Labor has taken much more important and logical steps against China, such as increasing and prioritising effective defence spending through the defence review, and healing diplomatic ties with the pacific.
Increased general welfare payments, increased payments for single parents, extending jobseeker for over 55s (really important, over 55s often end up in poverty because no one wants to hire them), increased commonwealth rent assistance, increasing the loan cap for community housing providers, implementing energy price relief, reducing medicine costs by adding more medicines to the PBS, increasing aboriginal (more likely to end up on welfare) education and health funding and $150m to improve water security, especially in remote areas (which tend to have greater reliance on welfare). This is all just from the latest budget, which managed to include all of these measures and still have a slight surplus.

carrotsss

HSC
economic modelling has shown that negative gearing tax laws are responsible for around 4 -5% of price increases over the past few decades

meanwhile, immigration rates are higher than housing construction rates have ever been, and foreign investors are literally allowed to buy every single apartment in a new apartment building before its even built, and often leave the properties they own unoccupied long term
I agree with that last bit, vacancy rates are a big problem right now

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
nah cuz ur acting like int students pay the sm amount as domestic students in uni, they're already proving their place.
u wanna see more domestic student in med degrees? make them perform better. until then, it looks like foreign students r doing a better job at EARNING their place in degrees. I'm just talking based off results and atar entires n whatnot
Every non-western country favors their own people and own students - they would be outraged if their own students were forced to compete with the rest of the world.

there's actually the opposite of a shortage of doctors, there r so many post grad med students who have gotten their degrees but can find no where to work (regardless of if they're dom or int) bc of the shortage of WORK PLACEMENTS (not mf doctors??)
Congratulations, you just proved we don't need foreign doctors.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Labour isn't radically better but I personally find it aligns with my values; focused on the well-being of society rather than individuals.
Yeah this is all narrative horeshit. They're both centrist parties with very little meaningful difference between them.

nsw..wollongong

HSC
Congratulations, you just proved we don't need foreign doctors.
r u mentally incompetent or can u just not read
im literally saying that the issue is with the work placements and ur out here saying that foreign students haven't earned their place in the medical workforce or they're here to become uber drivers
if u acc read what i wrote, ud understand that im not advocating for the 'taking over' of dom students nor am i saying that foreign students make better doctors,, if u have an issue with the influx of foreign med students n doctors then why don't u find a way to boost the performance of dom students.

bc ur saying exactly what im saying, dom students SHOULD be competing against each other, not foreign students. ask urself why foreign students outperform doms

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The liberals approach to diplomatic relations with china was atrocious, they pissed off our biggest trading partner over meaningless bs (pointlessly ruining our economy),
If what the liberals did was enough to piss off China, the only way we're not going to piss them off is to be complete cuckolds who kowtow to them 24/7. And somehow, you think this means we should be MORE dependant on China, not less.

China's list of 14 grievances with Australia:
The only way we can stay in the good graces of China is doing everything it wants - becoming more economically dependant on China will only mean they have more and more control over our country with each passing year

then sold a ton of our vital assets to china (giving them control over our country)
As opposed to...what? Dan Andrews signing up for belt and road without even getting federal approval?

and then pissed off the pacific islands, giving China an opportunity to gain control over them. The last one is extremely strategically important, control over the pacific islands is very important economically and for the military, and because of the liberal party’s actions, the Solomon Islands and Kiribati established diplomatic relations with China. Labor has taken much more important and logical steps against China, such as increasing and prioritising effective defence spending through the defence review, and healing diplomatic ties with the pacific.
The Solomon Islands government is siding with China because China will send their military in to defend the government against civil unrest and crush dissent. It's not because we mistrated them or something, and its absolutely not clear things would have been any different with labor in power. The solomon islands turned away british and american ships too - this isn't because of Australia 'pissing them off'.

Increased general welfare payments, increased payments for single parents, extending jobseeker for over 55s (really important, over 55s often end up in poverty because no one wants to hire them), increased commonwealth rent assistance, increasing the loan cap for community housing providers, implementing energy price relief, reducing medicine costs by adding more medicines to the PBS, increasing aboriginal (more likely to end up on welfare) education and health funding and $150m to improve water security, especially in remote areas (which tend to have greater reliance on welfare). This is all just from the latest budget, which managed to include all of these measures and still have a slight surplus.
Liberals would have made many increases in light of inflation too. And they have criticized liberals for trying to achieve budget surpluses when the economy was in better shape than it is now.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
r u mentally incompetent or can u just not read
im literally saying that the issue is with the work placements and ur out here saying that foreign students haven't earned their place in the medical workforce or they're here to become uber drivers
I didn't say doctors are becoming uber drivers - im saying many immigrants are (in response to some clown claiming immigrants are all 'experts in their fields')

And it has nothing to do with 'earning' a spot. The point is that the Australian educational system should exist for the benefit of Australians, not rich foreigeners.

ask urself why foreign students outperform doms
Because the top 10% of 25 million australians cannot compete with the top 0.1% of billions of indians, chinese etc., even if the smartest Australians are more capable than the smartest indians (they are). But the point is that they shouldn't have to compete, and China for example is an extremely protectionist country in this regard and do not allow foreigners the same rights that Australia does - of course, no Chinese in Australia would EVER criticize China for this.

unhealthyharold

HSC
I didn't say doctors are becoming uber drivers - im saying many immigrants are (in response to some clown claiming immigrants are all 'experts in their fields')

And it has nothing to do with 'earning' a spot. The point is that the Australian educational system should exist for the benefit of Australians, not rich foreigeners.

Because the top 10% of 25 million australians cannot compete with the top 0.1% of billions of indians, chinese etc., even if the smartest Australians are more capable than the smartest indians (they are). But the point is that they shouldn't have to compete, and China for example is an extremely protectionist country in this regard and do not allow foreigners the same rights that Australia does - of course, no Chinese in Australia would EVER criticize China for this.
*foreigners...

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
@Aeonium @nsw..wollongong

All I'm gonna say is in the end of the day whoever seems right or wrong is arbitrary (you're arguing politics on a study forum) but the difference is this guy is a grown ass man crying about immigrants and muslims in the country non stop and hes not losing anything but you guys are just wasting your free time getting triggered. I'd just block the guy.

See what he posts and the stuff he says and then consider if its worth talking to someone like him over the net, I'd just avoid threads like this since its easy to waste time online (legit twitter/redditor moments).

Not to say that valuable insight cant be yielded by threads like this, but it requires both sides to have some sort of will to understand each other's side and have some form of empathy BUT you're not going to get even 1% of that online. Its better to do this stuff IRL.

Last edited:

unhealthyharold

HSC
@Aeonium @nsw..wollongong

All I'm gonna say is in the end of the day whoever seems right or wrong is arbitrary (your arguing politics on a study forum) but the difference is this guy is a grown ass man and hes not losing anything but you guys are just wasting your free time getting triggered. I'd just block the guy.
^^^^^^
lil bro has been active on BoS since 2008... bit weird to be so obsessively active on forums made for teenagers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)