Should the insane be executed (1 Viewer)

Should murderers who are insane be executed?

• Total voters

strasiotto

HSC
After the recent army shootings (http://community.boredofstudies.org...ve-dead-shooting-fort-hood-military-base.html)

I was discussing with my friends if, on the off chance, the man who committed the shootings was insane if he should be executed.

Basically, I had one friend who kept on saying 'if he could fire the gun, he was sane and should be executed'.

Personally I think the above friend is just being a moron, but I would like to see what you all think about it.

lessstress

HSC
i dont think so, as mental patients dont have full control of their minds :jedi:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
if one believes in execution, i don't see why not. insane or not, they need to be harmed to even out the karma!

strasiotto

HSC
But does it 'even out the karma' if what they do they believe, in their own screwed up delusions, is helping the people or something alone those lines?

Like, don't some insane people have a completely distorted sense of reality, of what is right and what is wrong? How does it even out karma if their mind is soooo screwed they don't actually comprehend what they are doing?

There were too many questions in this post.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i don't care about what the murderer feels

but the victim's families certainly deserve to see the filthy blood of the scum that took away their loved ones

strasiotto

HSC
Its not what they murderer feels that matters, its what the murderer realises as reality. There mightn't be a actual intention to commit the murder, almost like a manslaughter.

In any case, I personally still believe the person shoul be locked away for life.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Don't believe in capital punishment to begin with. I think most people are of the same opinion as me. Kind of a useless idea to toy with seeing as, hopefully, as human beings develop and find better ways to solve problems, nobody will support capital punishment at all. :confused:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Nobody should be executed.

I would have framed this question around whether the insane should be held criminally liable for their acts. (the insanity defense)

lessstress

HSC
I agree with Chelsea Girl

capital punishment is just as bad
if you kill someone, doesnt that make you as bad as them because your killing someone yourself??

which completely discredits Nebuchanezzar
'but the victim's families certainly deserve to see the filthy blood of the scum that took away their loved ones'

murderers have loved ones to..tosser

lolokay

HSC
In any case, I personally still believe the person shoul be locked away for life.
what a terrible thing to think!

the aim should be a careful rehabilitation; an attempt to return the person to sanity, and allow them to make a positive contribution to society

if this is not possible, then (hypothetically, at least) I think it would be better for all parties involved for the person to be executed - the person will not suffer the rest of his life in prison/whatever, and we won't have to pay to keep them there

strasiotto

HSC
what a terrible thing to think!

the aim should be a careful rehabilitation; an attempt to return the person to sanity, and allow them to make a positive contribution to society

if this is not possible, then (hypothetically, at least) I think it would be better for all parties involved for the person to be executed - the person will not suffer the rest of his life in prison/whatever, and we won't have to pay to keep them there

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear- I was basing it if the illness was incurable, obviously if its treatable, then it should be treated. But, even then the person should at least be jailed for a degree of manslaughter, as some atonement.

If the person can't become sane, I think locking them away permantly is the best solution. It prevents any reoccurances, which is quite possible, but I don't think the person should be executed as their mind is not functioning properly.

X

xeuyrawp

Capital punishment is just state hypocrisy: We can kill you, but you can't even touch us. :rolleyes:

fliick

HSC
N/A
No one has the right to kill. Ever.

And the mentally unstable are incapable to some degree of control or clear thought. In saying this, who has a perfectly clear mind? Everyone has been tainted in one way or another, just to different degrees. Thus why no one can be judged and executed, because no one can fully understand "mens rea".
So everyone is a bit insane, especially those who go to such extremities to kill.

tonyharrison

HSC
That would cost so much tax money haha.
Doubt people would vote someone in who's like, "Let's spend taxes on making murderers part of society again!"

Still, in an ideal world, yes, that would be awesome!

fliick

HSC
N/A
Nobody should be executed.

I would have framed this question around whether the insane should be held criminally liable for their acts. (the insanity defense)
I think they should be punished, regardless of degree of insanity.
Do/ what if we treat offenders with the same way we treat children? I mean in the way people are patient, compassionate and sympathetic (Not the grounding, spanking and no pocket money). Isn't the human mind always learning? If they are treated any differently or with any leniency what can we expect to happen? In being *justly* punished, they can learn and take responsibility.

*It's impossible to consider what is 'just' -.-

lolokay

HSC
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear- I was basing it if the illness was incurable, obviously if its treatable, then it should be treated. But, even then the person should at least be jailed for a degree of manslaughter, as some atonement.
would there be any purpose to this? since, presumably, the person is no longer a threat to society, then (a lot of) mandatory community service or something would be better

If the person can't become sane, I think locking them away permantly is the best solution. It prevents any reoccurances, which is quite possible, but I don't think the person should be executed as their mind is not functioning properly.
can you justify this statement? I don't see why this is the case

it seems to me that execution would seem the more practical (and ethical?) solution
Capital punishment is just state hypocrisy: We can kill you, but you can't even touch us. :rolleyes:
can the same thing be said about prison, then?

That would cost so much tax money haha.
Doubt people would vote someone in who's like, "Let's spend taxes on making murderers part of society again!"

Still, in an ideal world, yes, that would be awesome!
keeping people in jail costs a huge amount of money too, though.

yes, it is hypothetical, but I don't see why rehabilitation couldn't be achieved for a relatively low cost, in the future at least (probably after significant research)

tonyharrison

HSC
yes, it is hypothetical, but I don't see why rehabilitation couldn't be achieved for a relatively low cost, in the future at least (probably after significant research)
Cause rehabilitation requires people WILLING to spend hours of every day one-on-one with murderers, intensely trying to cure them, while also trying not to die.

There would be so much security, that i don't think the person would be able to fully open themselves in order to be cured.

If people were brave, selfless, had an infinite amount of time and space and were filthy rich, then yes, it would work.
But human beings are selfish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)