• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should intensive care units exist? (1 Viewer)

Should we close intensive care wards?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, given the amount of tax revenue gained for the government from smokers, the ideal situation would be to just deny them all access to public health services, in that scenario.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The survival rate for intensive care is probably quite low. It costs and incredible amount of money to keep these facilities open. I argue that it would be more economically sensible to close all intensive care units and focus the recovered funds on more economically sound growth projects such as education, and advanced genetics (leading to humans that will never need intensive care).

Thoughts?
Your argument is weakened by being over-generalised. There exist cases in the ICU for which survival is a likely outcome.

P.S. Would you make this choice from within a Rawlsian veil of ignorance?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
hospitals are not a business, its our obligation as human beings to care for our sick and injured, even if they cannot repay that debt etc etc.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Your argument is weakened by being over-generalised. There exist cases in the ICU for which survival is a likely outcome.

P.S. Would you make this choice from within a Rawlsian veil of ignorance?
I don't know what Rwanada has to do with this, Mr. Intelligensia guy. What I'm saying is that my hard earned dollars shouldn't go to a bunch of fucking tobacco smokers and meth addicts dying in intensive care! Anyone that's stupid enough to get in the ICU (and let's face it, you don't end up in ICU naturally) deserves no money or sympathy from anyone anyway.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
wikipedia said:
Specialized types of ICUs include:

* Neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)
* Special Care Nursery (SCN)
* Pediatric intensive care unit (PICU)
* Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
* Coronary Care Unit (CCU) for heart disease
* Cardiac Surgery Intensive Care Unit (CSICU)
* CardioVascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU)
* Mobile Intensive Care Unit (MICU)
* Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit (MSICU)
* Medical-Surgical Critical Care Intensive Care Unit (MSCC)
* Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU)
* Overnight Intensive Recovery (OIR)
* Neuroscience Critical Care Unit (NCCU)
* Neurological Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
* Neuro Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
* Burn Wounds Intensive Care Unit (BWICU)
* Trauma Intensive care Unit (TICU)
* Shock Trauma Intensive care Unit (STICU)
* Trauma-Neuro Critical Care Intensive Care Unit (TNCC)
* Respiratory Intensive Care Unit (RICU)
* Geriatric Intensive care unit (GICU)
:rolleyes:

HSC
I don't know what Rwanada has to do with this, Mr. Intelligensia guy. What I'm saying is that my hard earned dollars shouldn't go to a bunch of fucking tobacco smokers and meth addicts dying in intensive care! Anyone that's stupid enough to get in the ICU (and let's face it, you don't end up in ICU naturally) deserves no money or sympathy from anyone anyway.
Why dont we just save more money and round them up as soon as they show any form of illness, take them out the back and shoot them with a bow so we can retrieve the arrow and reuse it multiple times?

What about people in icu through no fault of their own and with a chance of survival?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
there's probably about 0 terrorist victims in burns icu's around the western world right now

just so you know

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
whats your point?

ok bushfire victims etc, plenty of those in burns icu right now, its irrelevant why they are there really
if a tremendous fire was headed towards your house, wouldn't you gtfo? these people are a detriment to our respectful christian society. :ninja:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
ok guy look im sorry if i offended u okay but this is a forum and this is where we express our opinions alright i know opinions are opinions but i respect yours and u should respect mine after all its the only human thing to do here alright so if u support the victorian bushfire victims send this to all your friends and email contacts

luv,
neb

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
ive never had to go to hospital so this is a very noob question. lol. does private health cover = private hospital? or whats the go with both. cheers

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
private health cover means the hospital can claim money on helping you. you can be privately insured but still go to a public hospital (so they claim the money) or go to a private hospital. usually the private hospital has better facilities, is less crowded, etc so people prefer it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)