should i use this as a related text (1 Viewer)

nutella5600

HSC
im trying to decide now what related texts i want to use for belonging. i need to relate them to peter skrzynecki poetry.

now, i want to use avenged sevenfold's self titled album (if you don't know avenged sevenfold, they're a metal band). before saying anything, i just want to say no im not using them solely for the fact that they're my favourite band, but because their lyrics have such deep meaning in them, a lot about about belonging. the problem is, on the surface their music seems a lot about death or more specifically, suicide, but the fact is its really not about that at all.

my question is, what will markers think about that, and if it is appropriate, what should i be careful of? my teachers always think its a bad idea to use metal as a related text because markers dont like that or something.

kkwok25

UAI aim: 85+
HSC
as long as you can analyse them in very good details and relate to belonging, then you'll do fine. imop, markers don't really care about the text you're doing, jsut the content of your techniques and analysis.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I've been told that markers do actually care about the texts you do. If you do some song by some person/band, they generally view that you lack the analytical skill to view and interpret a text of higher quality/complexity.

You should do either poetry, a novella or novel if you already haven't. There's a thread elsewhere on bos that has lots of related texts listed in it. Pick one and get crackin'.

nutella5600

HSC
I've been told that markers do actually care about the texts you do. If you do some song by some person/band, they generally view that you lack the analytical skill to view and interpret a text of higher quality/complexity.

You should do either poetry, a novella or novel if you already haven't. There's a thread elsewhere on bos that has lots of related texts listed in it. Pick one and get crackin'.
thanks heaps, but what if i were able to show them that these songs are of high complexity, because i believe they are. i can see very deep literary techniques within their lyrics, and they are by no means straightforward or dull. in fact, theyre a lot deeper than poems ive read in class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)