Should i transfer into UWS from UNSW? (1 Viewer)

Placydica

HSC
I wanted to get some opinions on my topic incase some one else has done it.

Anyway i was thinking of transferring into UWS from UNSW because it will save me an hour and a half of my usual travelling time of 2 hours, making my journey 30 mins. (i spend 20 hours travelling a week - and most evenings you have to stand on the bloody train anyway :evilfire:)

I'm currently doing a B Environmental Science and i checked out the courses at both uni's and they're completely identical, except for the fact that UNSW has more field trips lol!

i wanted to know if there is a difference in the learning quality and research opportunities.
Also i've been told that UWS people tend to be much meaner and egoistic than UNSW folks - is that true or just another urban myth?

Thanks for your views!

beefnoodle

HSC
I was thinking of transferring to UNSW from UWS but was not going to. I would like to offer my analysis:
-UNSW has too much Asian and international students
-UNSW is 2.5 (walk-bus-train-bus-) hours of travelling from where I live, not worth it, it would cost me $50-$60 a week in travelling costs
-UNSW's courses are too rigidly theory-focused, UWS tends to be lighter on theory.
-at UWS, I can stand out and get a 6.0 GPA (Distinction grade) more easier and have more free time
-the students at UWS are much more outgoing
-less traffic and more fresh air
-more fluent English speaking (Western) lecturers (I am not a racist)
-the students here do not seem to care much about ranking, there is competition though.

UWS is a great university, I just do not get why people love to bash it. Your success depends on YOU, not your lecturer or the prestige of the university. Come to one of our campuses, you will love it. :)

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I was thinking of transferring to UNSW from UWS but was not going to. I would like to offer my analysis:
-UNSW is 2.5 (walk-bus-train-bus-) hours of travelling from where I live, not worth it, it would cost me $50-$60 a week in travelling costs
-UNSW's courses are too rigidly theory-focused, UWS tends to be lighter on theory.
-at UWS, I can stand out and get a 6.0 GPA (Distinction grade) more easier and have more free time
-the students here do not seem to care much about ranking, there is competition though.

UWS is a great university, I just do not get why people love to bash it. Your success depends on YOU, not your lecturer or the prestige of the university. Come to one of our campuses, you will love it. :)
*many
**easier

Ah the irony XD Sorry, i feel like being a grammar nazi today.

And you do realise that being able to get a 6.0 GPA easily at UWS compared to UNSW basically means that a distinction average at UWS < distinction average at UNSW right? People probably love to bash UWS because of the relatively low entry cut offs and so "weak" strength of the cohort there, leading to easily obtained high marks and the image of UWS being a "joke of a uni".

But by all means, if you want to cut down travel time go to UNSW, just keep in mind that it definitely does not have the prestige or fierce competition that UNSW has :)

Last edited:

yer8899

HSC
*many
**easier

And you do realise that being able to get a 6.0 GPA easily at UWS compared to UNSW basically means that a distinction average at UWS < distinction average at UNSW right? People probably love to bash UWS because of the relatively low entry cut offs and so "weak" strength of the cohort there, leading to easily obtained high marks and the image of UWS being a "joke of a uni".

But by all means, if you want to cut down travel time go to UNSW, just keep in mind that it definitely does not have the prestige or fierce competition that UNSW has :)
:l

if you have a good work-life balance, have a decent resume, can sell yourself to interviewers, and you are a hardworking individual, you can gain employment after you graduate regardless of what uni you go to. its just a matter of being proactive, applying for as many interships, cadetships and trying to gain as much work experience (even if its voluntary) as possible before you graduate.
and if its true we have more fluent english speaking lecturers and tutors than other uni's, then god help the other uni's
ps. at uws, if youre abo, they hand out research grants like a motherfucker

isjongood

HSC
*many
**easier

Of course the criteria for a distinction differs across universities, but you'll find that they also differ across different units/lecturers. I'm not sure what evidence there is to back up the claim that 6's are easy to get at UWS, but if that is the case than one would expect standards to be much higher at UWS to discriminate the top performers. So it equals out pretty much, sort of like differing currencies. In my course 6's are not very easy at all to get, but some units differ from others.

Like i've said previously there are top performers that represent very capable students. In my course the filtering of the top is very evident, we went from a cohort of 280 to 100 from first to third year.

EDIT: so I'd recommend UWS, really the 6 criteria is a non-issue, as well as the low cutoff's. If it's convenient and gets you where you want to be do it, there are only a few rare occasions where an employer would prefer one university graduate over another, but in that case that same employer would probably prefer one sex/race/etc over another.....

Last edited:

LordPc

HSC
racist much?
doesnt apply to OP
huh? have you ever studied at unsw?
being the best at UWS wont matter much when you start competing for jobs with graduates froms other universities
again, huh?
ok, but hardly a good enough reason to pick one uni over another
I dont think so
competition improves performance

im not bashing uws but beefnoodles reasons dont really hold up. if you can go to unsw and save hours in travel time it would seem to me to be a good thing to do

HSC

if you have a good work-life balance, have a decent resume, can sell yourself to interviewers, and you are a hardworking individual, you can gain employment after you graduate regardless of what uni you go to. Its just a matter of being proactive, applying for as many interships, cadetships and trying to gain as much work experience (even if its voluntary) as possible before you graduate.
And if its true we have more fluent english speaking lecturers and tutors than other uni's, then god help the other uni's
ps. At uws, if youre abo, they hand out research grants like a motherfucker
+1

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

if you have a good work-life balance, have a decent resume, can sell yourself to interviewers, and you are a hardworking individual, you can gain employment after you graduate regardless of what uni you go to. its just a matter of being proactive, applying for as many interships, cadetships and trying to gain as much work experience (even if its voluntary) as possible before you graduate.
*nods*

Of course the criteria for a distinction differs across universities, but you'll find that they also differ across different units/lecturers. I'm not sure what evidence there is to back up the claim that 6's are easy to get at UWS, but if that is the case than one would expect standards to be much higher at UWS to discriminate the top performers. So it equals out pretty much, sort of like differing currencies. In my course 6's are not very easy at all to get, but some units differ from others.

Like i've said previously there are top performers that represent very capable students. In my course the filtering of the top is very evident, we went from a cohort of 280 to 100 from first to third year.

EDIT: so I'd recommend UWS, really the 6 criteria is a non-issue, as well as the low cutoff's. If it's convenient and gets you where you want to be do it, there are only a few rare occasions where an employer would prefer one university graduate over another, but in that case that same employer would probably prefer one sex/race/etc over another.....
If that is the case then i have nothing to say - afterall my response was just based on a perceived "advantage" of going to UWS :)

Placydica

HSC
From what i gather its basically the same degree at a different university, the only difference is "percieved prestige" which probably doesn't exist anyway

i currently have a GPA of 6 at UNSW.

so i could probably improve on that at UWS - with extra hard work of course .

Thank you for your info!

P.S i think most people misinterpreted my post, i'm at UNSW at the moment and i'll be transferring to UWS next year

:cook:

Last edited:

boris2003

HSC
From what i gather its basically the same degree at a different university, the only difference is "percieved prestige" which probably doesn't exist anyway

i currently have a GPA of 6 at UNSW.

so i could probably improve on that at UWS - with extra hard work of course .

Thank you for your info!

P.S i think most people misinterpreted my post, i'm at UNSW at the moment and i'll be transferring to UWS next year

:cook:

What campus are you transferring to?
Best of luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)