• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

should i take english ext 1? (1 Viewer)

dogdogdog

HSC
Hi, I nedd to take my subjects and im wondering should i take english ext 1 as well as maths ext 1.
I hate english and see no point in it but need a good uai to be a pathologist.
Im allright at it but just hate it.
Should i take:
Eng ext 1
maths ext 1
bio
chem
bussiness studies

or adv english
ext 1maths
bio
chem
legal studies
business

thanks

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Don't do EE1 if you hate english.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if you hate english then you answered your own question...if you take it up and you dont like it then youre just wasting your time where your time could be bette spent studying for other subjects.
oh you dont need to do extension subjects in order to have a good UAI, so if i was in your shoes id choose adv eng, ext 1 maths, bio, chem, business and legal.

summermagic

HSC
I agree. I would only recommend Ext English to those who actually like English. Only those with an interest will do well at it because it really encourages you to take reign and be creative. Also, when you have to interpret things (which is most of the time) it helps if you're actually interested.

Personally I love the subject because of how interesting it is compared to other subjects. And my personal message is choose what subjects interest you rather than worry about scaling or whatever. If you like the subject, you'll do fine in the HSC.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
As many people have stated before, English Extentsion is only for people who really LOVE english. What you have to do is ask yourself, can you put up with an extra english lesson every week? Can you stand all the work? I honestly, judging by your subjects, wouldn't advise you on taking up Ext English. This would be because Chemistry, has heaps of things to remember, valencies, formulaes etc. Business Studies is pretty jam packed with things as well. However, if you really like the subjects, they should be a breeze to study!

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Ext English (at leat in my school) has a sizeable component focsuing on Journal entries. Do you like having to write 30-40 pages every ten weeks? I dont know, maybe you do, or maybe its just my school which does it.

chrasy

HSC
I think you'll regret picking it if you don't have a genuine interest in it. I'm echoing everyone else when I say that you'd be wasting your time with it when you could be doing something else that you're interested in.

meixia

5 cents short of a 97
HSC
Only do ext1 English if

1. You're good at english
2. You enjoy english & are willing to spend a lot of time on it

Otherwise, DONT.

Just because you want a good UAI, it doesn't mean you have to automatically pick up ext1 subs you don't like.

*BIRDIE*

RAWR!!!
HSC
in all honesty EE1 is good if you like English

ME1 isnt worth your time apparently
and only do business studies if you have a good teacher that you like and will teacher it well or you'll HATE it!!!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
EE1 trumps advanced. undoubtedly.

PrettyVacant

HSC
English Extension is bleh. If you hate English, you're only going to end up dropping it, so why bother?

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
dogdogdog said:
Hi, I nedd to take my subjects and im wondering should i take english ext 1 as well as maths ext 1.
I hate english and see no point in it but need a good uai to be a pathologist.
Im allright at it but just hate it.
Should i take:
Eng ext 1
maths ext 1
bio
chem
bussiness studies

or adv english
ext 1maths
bio
chem
legal studies
business

thanks
Don't do eng ext 1 then. It's simple, if you hate it - you will do shit in it. Don't let scaling affect your subject selection - no matter how many high scaling subjects you choose if you perform poorly in them, you will get scaled down. This applies to all subjects.

I know people who did standard english and general math and still managed to get a uai above 90. Just choose the subjects that you feel most happy and comfortable with...you will get the uai you want if you work for it. :)

HSC
N/A
simonloo said:
Ext English (at leat in my school) has a sizeable component focsuing on Journal entries. Do you like having to write 30-40 pages every ten weeks? I dont know, maybe you do, or maybe its just my school which does it.
NSBHS teachers, eh. Dodgy, recently implemented initiative.

EEI is a one-unit course that is like a two unit course in terms of effort and work.
dogdogdog said:
Eng ext 1
maths ext 1
bio
chem
bussiness studies
You may as well go along with this path, seeing as Legal is another subject; its easiness is irrelevant, it's still 2U and another subject, for which you'll have to remember stuff and study (probably anyway).
Ed: Then again, I just read that you hate English... (Bio's a bit like English... btw.)

You're more than capable to make decisions for yourself, even without the suggestions of people on the boards; good luck in making it.:)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Except people don't ask for advice because they're incapable, Lucid. They ask because they're curious and want opinions, suggestions, warnings.

HSC
N/A
I should have entailed a similar disclaimer, shouldn't I? Thanks for that note, Jachie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)