Should I take 4U maths? (1 Viewer)

DaisyMeRolling

HSC
  • TLDR Have to choose to do 4u maths or not but have other tutors and is a make or break moment.
    Right now my maths tutor is about to teach 4u maths and is telling us that we need to choose whether we want to do 4u maths or stick with 3u maths. Right now I'm in like day 2 of Year 11 so there is no taste for 3u maths AT MY SCHOOL but I'm asking this in preparation for my maths tutor. He's extremely good and 100% better than any teacher at my school but in saying that we already learnt a good chunk of 3u but not all, I'm assuming he's going to be teaching 3u and 4u at the same time so that means more tutoring but then the problem is later on if I want to do 4u maths at tutor it's way too late and will damage my ATAR so right now is a make or break moment. I find 3u relatively challenging but self studying, I slowly get it but I'm worried later on I might find 3u maths easy and if I want to go up to 4u, at my tutor it'll be too late and I'll be at a disadvantage.
    For my tutor we get exams and the most recent year 11 exam I got I was ranked in the middle of the class roughly with the class average as well.
    I'm also worried because if I were to pursue 4u maths to experience it and see if I like it enough to drops other subjects and stuff I'll have to take 4 hours of tutoring (2hrs for 3u and 2hrs for 4u) as well as 2 hours for physics and 2 hours for chems and on top of that the tutoring place I plan to go to already finish module 2 of physics and is about to teach module 3 and that means I haven't learnt module 2 yet and knowing my crap school I won't learn anything from the teachers meaning I'll have to go to additional tutoring for module 2 physics. Altogether in a week I'm totalling 9.5 hours of tutoring for the term but would reduce to 8 hours of tutoring and if I were to only do 3u maths it's 6 hours of tutoring. Not to mention that I have religious things I attend on Fridays and Sundays morning.

carrotsss

HSC
Id ask your tutor but it’s hard to say without any results or experience with 3u, I guess you’re probably better of taking it now because it’s easier to drop that pick it back up

That’s so much pressure though, having that much tutoring sounds kinda insane

chwabe

HSC
That’s so much pressure though, having that much tutoring sounds kinda insane
i just realised how insane it actually is. a lot of my friends do that much tutoring (and more) but i guess i never thought damn that's crazy, so now that i think abt it wowie. but for year r11 damn that's crazy.

chwabe

HSC
you sound like you're doing relatively alr with 3u (and you're doing tutoring) but quite worried that you won't be able to catch up wtih 4u tutoring if you don't start now, so probably go with 4u. i personally never started 4u tutoring in year 11, so you're in a good position to determine whether or not you actually want to dedicate time to it for y12. bc 4u fr takes a whole lot more time and anger management

kkk579

hello
HSC
you sound like you're doing relatively alr with 3u (and you're doing tutoring) but quite worried that you won't be able to catch up wtih 4u tutoring if you don't start now, so probably go with 4u. i personally never started 4u tutoring in year 11, so you're in a good position to determine whether or not you actually want to dedicate time to it for y12. bc 4u fr takes a whole lot more time and anger management
Anger management 🤨🤨

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)