• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

should i put this in the essay? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
In my trial HSC i talked about the value of multicultural societies in each text. Basically saying that in the historical context of Emma, black people were servants, no more, and infact were not even part of the story "Emma" period. Whereas in the historical context of "Clueless" you have numerous black people... murray, dionne etc.

IMO, Heckerling has done this deliberately to show how society has changed over time, and how we have come to accept different cultures, backgrounds etc.

I haven't been told specifically on what to do with this topic... include it or not... Emma vs. Clueless isnt my strongest topic, and i dont have a lot of material so im hoping with some of your help (hey, why not all of your help! lol) then i might be able to turn this basic idea into an essay topic to use next Wednesday

Thanks

Oh yeh one more thing... if this turns out to be a bad idea, what would u recommend as something to use for Values? All this time i been using themes, then i read the markers guidlines and realised ive been getting it all wrong!!!

Last edited:

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
sorry, my teacher did make one comment - that it was "controversial".... but she says that about a lot of my ideas.... lol

Paroissien

HSC
aim54x said:
would have loved to be more helpful but i did ros and guil are dead
Now that's a useless post if ever I saw one.
And so is this

tennille

HSC
You can talk about themes and values. Values could be wealth, the source of that wealth in Emma. Values in Clueless include materialism, image...etc. As you taalk about htem thematically, you can incorporate these values in your answer. I think it might be an essay for Emma and Clueless considering for the past 3 years, they have all been essays- but I hope I didn't jinx it :(

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
cool thanks for the help tennille, good post!

can anyone think of any other values or themes that people could use during the exam? its always good to hear different opinions

at the moment i was gunna use the above theme about multiculturalism
- value of socioeconomic status
- value of materialism (clueless)
- value of skills (emma - piano, art; clueless; driving etc.)
- theme of love and why people choose partners (has the reason changed?)
- value of sex.. tough one, but im gunna try and prove it (emma's context had no value of it at all, didnt even discuss it, whereas clueless - thats all they talk about!)

what other ideas do people have?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
for materialism in clueless, make sure you parallell it with emma in some way

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
iambored said:
for materialism in clueless, make sure you parallell it with emma in some way
so i am right in my values / themes, but i should try and parallel them between the two texts eg. Materialism - Emma's social context was more concerned with family and genture, whereas Cher's social context is very much fond of materialism

cheers

KungPow

HSC
Anti-intellectualism? Emma's improving books and unfinished paintings (not sure about that one) and Cher's "one book a week" being Fit or Fat and William Shakespeare's Hamlet becoming Mel Gibson's Hamlet.

You get the idea.

You could also talk about individiualism too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)