Should I pick up Studies of Religion 1 unit? Or stick to Eco/Geo?? (1 Viewer)

yoyo0904

HSC
I made a previous post and I have semi-decided to keep English Extension because I might be able to BS my way to mid 70s which scales decently. So I'll be on 11 units. BUT my school is really paranoid about the whole safety net of doing 12 units. So I am highly recommended to pick up studies of religion 1 unit >.< The question is should I just continue with either economics or geography or drop one of them and do studies of religion 1 unit? If I continue with my old subjects, I'll be on 13 units which is totally ughhhhhhh but I might be able to drop sometime next term. Also for geography we have a camp that goes for 3 days and involves a big trek of 13km. So questions are:

1) Should I keep my old subjects i.e. all three social sciences (i cry) or pick up studies of religion 1 unit? (the teacher is like the assistant deputy head or something and she scares me)

2) If I pick up studies of religion 1 unit, should I drop economics (51% yearly) or geography (60% yearly but good and encouraging teacher)?

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help!

yoyo0904

HSC
Drop what you like, and fuck your school's safety net. Don't listen to them.
I want to do that but I kind of can't. I'm doing 4u maths and my results are just passed the "result you need to get to do it." So they need me to have a back up just in case. I do 3u english as well and I'm not so good at it and might drop it some time during year 12. My school in after all in the top ten so yeah..

Thanks.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I want to do that but I kind of can't. I'm doing 4u maths and my results are just passed the "result you need to get to do it." So they need me to have a back up just in case. I do 3u english as well and I'm not so good at it and might drop it some time during year 12. My school in after all in the top ten so yeah..

Thanks.
Lel then you have nothing to worry about. Do 4u. They can't force you what to take.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
SOR1 is piss easy, i studied the day before for all my exams/assignment and still ended up getting 90. The workload is minimal, you're only going doing 3 classes per fortnight (my school did) and i didn't even have a half yearly exam so you might as well keep it.

yoyo0904

HSC
SOR1 is piss easy, i studied the day before for all my exams/assignment and still ended up getting 90. The workload is minimal, you're only going doing 3 classes per fortnight (my school did) and i didn't even have a half yearly exam so you might as well keep it.
I don't currently do SOR and it can be picked up in year 12 so we have 6 lessons per fortnight cycle. Thing is my school does Christian Studies and we looked at the different religions this year so we apparently have "pre requisite knowledge" but no one really takes it seriously. Do you think it's still worth it if I pick it up at the beginning of year 12?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I don't currently do SOR and it can be picked up in year 12 so we have 6 lessons per fortnight cycle. Thing is my school does Christian Studies and we looked at the different religions this year so we apparently have "pre requisite knowledge" but no one really takes it seriously. Do you think it's still worth it if I pick it up at the beginning of year 12?
You learn about two major religions. Coming from a catholic school, we did Christianity (and i assume your school would as well) and Judaism. I don't think it would be a problem because they start from scratch so any pre requisite knowledge you learnt wouldn't really be useful.

Also, NO one took SOR1 seriously at my school, it's a pretty easy subject to go well in and actually scales alright. I hated it throughout the year but after getting my hsc back and realising it actually contributed to me atar, i'd strongly recommend it to anyone who will put effort into it. Realistically, 47 + /50 is attainable to most people who write ok ish and actually study for the subject.

yoyo0904

HSC
You learn about two major religions. Coming from a catholic school, we did Christianity (and i assume your school would as well) and Judaism. I don't think it would be a problem because they start from scratch so any pre requisite knowledge you learnt wouldn't really be useful.

Also, NO one took SOR1 seriously at my school, it's a pretty easy subject to go well in and actually scales alright. I hated it throughout the year but after getting my hsc back and realising it actually contributed to me atar, i'd strongly recommend it to anyone who will put effort into it. Realistically, 47 + /50 is attainable to most people who write ok ish and actually study for the subject.
I go to a Christian school as well and I found out that the two major religions are Christianity and Islam. And I found out it's 3 lessons per fortnight cycle, only that they're outside of the school timetable. Since I'm also doing Maths Extension 2 and English Extension (which some lessons will definitely be timetabled outside) I feel like SOR can't be that bad but from the girls in my grade who do SOR 2 say that it can be content heavy T_T do you think I'll be able to handle all those extensions along with business and economics if I do SOR? Thanks for your help!

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I go to a Christian school as well and I found out that the two major religions are Christianity and Islam. And I found out it's 3 lessons per fortnight cycle, only that they're outside of the school timetable. Since I'm also doing Maths Extension 2 and English Extension (which some lessons will definitely be timetabled outside) I feel like SOR can't be that bad but from the girls in my grade who do SOR 2 say that it can be content heavy T_T do you think I'll be able to handle all those extensions along with business and economics if I do SOR? Thanks for your help!
Yes, i agree with the people saying SOR2 is content heavy as i heard the same thing. That being said, from doing SOR1, i found the workload minimal and pretty simple as well. Friends who dropped from SOR2 to SOR1 also said the drop in content was significant.

SOR1 has very predictable exam questions which cover only a few syllabus dot points so when it comes to preparation you shouldn't be too worried either. Having classes outside of your timetable may be a personal issue however it depends on your individual circumstances so i won't comment on this. Since you're doing economics, business and EE2, i think SOR1 would be a good subject to counter balance your content heavy subjects.

yoyo0904

HSC
Yes, i agree with the people saying SOR2 is content heavy as i heard the same thing. That being said, from doing SOR1, i found the workload minimal and pretty simple as well. Friends who dropped from SOR2 to SOR1 also said the drop in content was significant.

SOR1 has very predictable exam questions which cover only a few syllabus dot points so when it comes to preparation you shouldn't be too worried either. Having classes outside of your timetable may be a personal issue however it depends on your individual circumstances so i won't comment on this. Since you're doing economics, business and EE2, i think SOR1 would be a good subject to counter balance your content heavy subjects.
I think the main thing stopping me right now is having a significant number of classes outside the timetable. If it was in school hours I would definitely choose SOR, I've had a look at the syllabus and past papers and it really doesn't look that bad. Thanks for you advice and sharing your experiences and thoughts :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)