Should I move up to Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

over9k

HSC
I'm getting high 90's in Standard English, and I'm afraid that I might get scaled down in year 12. What do you think?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
if youre getting high 90s in standard, then im sure youre more than capable of doing advanced

yosemite sam

HSC
but wouldn't you now be disadvantaged because the english advanced classes will have just spent term 1 on the area of study, which is different to the one you've been doing in standard and even though its only year 11 blah blah blah, your lack of knowledge of their aos will impact on your results in year11 exams and whatnot.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Definitely try - do it early too!!
If you find it too hard later you could move down however you might not be able to move up later in the year. :)

munchybuddy

HSC
I dont know if this is true, but i heard that u dont actually get scaled any differently in the two subjects, but it does look better if you do advanced when applying for jobs, tafe etc...
I think u should definitely moved up, Advanced english isnt that much different to standard, the only real change is the fact that u hav 2 do shakespeare

steban

violin dude
HSC
isnt the area of study, the part that both standard and advance do, scaled the same, but the module parts are scaled differently..? Thats what i heard...and by that fact english advanced would have a higher scaling..though im not completely sure.

P

pLuvia

Both Adv and standard english scale the same, it's just that it is harder to get higher bands in standard english than in adv english.

Threadstarter: It'll be quite hard to transfer to adv english after they have spent one term doing one of the modules, unless you somehow negotiate and learn it through the holidays (now :p) or whatever

summermagic

HSC
Actually more people get 90+ in standard compared to advanced. And:

Note: English (Standard) and English (Advanced) are always scaled in the same way, despite any apparent statistics to the contrary.
^ From the second paragraph on top of that list.

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the number of band 6 for standard english is definitely rising without a doubt, but then the number of students who achieve is soo minute, that its almost negligible

summermagic

HSC
Nope. Go see the careers advisor and it should be fine. People are even moving schools at this time.

steban

violin dude
HSC
LottoX said:
Also the Scaled means for Standard and Advanced are different, if you look on the list you have there =)
Yeah thats what i thought, so what exactly is scaled the same....CONFUSED!

topdeck

HSC
Ok i'm not sure if this has been mentioned...but from what our school has told us, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a band six in standard english. When i say 'impossible' i don't mean 'really hard', i mean it is technically not possible. When we were choosing subjects last year out head teacher of english came round to our class and said straight out "lets just be clear about one thing. Its not possible to get a band six in standard". She could be mistaken because a lot of people on this thread appear to have evidence to the contrary...but anyway keep that in mind when your deciding.

But to answer your question...DEFINATLEY do advanced. If you're getting high 90's then change- even if you have to learn new texts. There would be nothing worse than being stucks in a subject for the next two years where your not being challenged.

P

pLuvia

tamaranadine said:
EVERONE!

both englishs are scaled exactly the same, but its harder to get a band 6 in standard cause you do less work.

advanced students do at least double the work that standard kids do, so of course advanced kids get better marks. Although, if you were willing to put the effort in, not get distracted by other idiots in your class, do the workload of the advance class, then you will be fine.

but this never happens.

one last time, the fact sheet on bos must be wrong cause advanced and standard are scaled the same
It is possible to get a band 6 in standard english but really god damn hard, I think only 6 people have got it so far in the new English syllabus

James747

HSC
You can always move back down, but u cant move up when its too late.

jenez

HSC
Can someone please explain why it is harder to get a band 6 in standard ? I don't understand that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)