Should I move schools??? (1 Viewer)

jordan3103

HSC
I applied for my local selective high school and was successful but when my school realised I was moving they offered me a study allowance and all this other stuff. I have no friends at the selective high school and my original high school wants me to stay. I don't know what to do. Will having friends assist or hinder my HSC results?

Reactions: x1

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Selective + no friends = 100 ATAR

Friends are a distraction. Focus on getting that 100 ATAR because your friends aren’t gonna help you get into UNI.

Take it from me. I just graduated. No one cares or talks to each other anymore. They forget about you as soon as you leave the formal. Worry bout getting yourself to where you want first....friends can come later.

Last edited:

astroman

HSC
trust me move, your school is basically bribing you to stay, this happened to a few students back at my old school who received $1000 to stay, they were top of the cohort and a few even made it to James Ruse. Since the school rank is so shit, they want a few good students to do good in the HSC and possibly boost the schools ranks, which in turn leads to more recognition, then more students enroll which = more money for the school. So move no matter what, you will make friends and you will have high achieving students to boost your ATAR.

TRUST!!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd probably move if I were you...

What's the current rank of your school?

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Fuck the selective school. Take the study allowance!

Reactions: x1

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
My 2c.

I think that having friends can assist you in times of need with emotional and academic support. At the same time, they can hinder you if they are the bludgy type.

Your school ranking won't affect you ... It's how you are ranked within your school and cohort that will affect your atar.

Besides, with the 1000 dollars you could get resources and go to tutoring If you want to.

Weight the pros and cons OP, but IMO, I would stay

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
school must be desperate as fuck, but id just take the cash

Verify

HSC
I would stay. For all you know you don't know how things will turn out at your new school. Social or academic wise it might not be what you expected. I think that having the stability as well as financial boost given that you use it wisely will allow you to do just as well as you would have if you went to a selective school.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

Friends are a distraction. Focus on getting that 100 ATAR because your friends aren’t gonna help you get into UNI.

Take it from me. I just graduated. No one cares or talks to each other anymore. They forget about you as soon as you leave the formal. Worry bout getting yourself to where you want first....friends can come later.
You haven't made any good friends have you...

Most of people I know including me still very much hang out and talk with our friends from high school,sure you'll also make good friends at university and they might possibilty take over one day but so far I still very much talk to my high school friends frequently(into second year high school) and they don't even go to the same uni as me (helps they do a similar degree though).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly I think that although my friends may have 'hindered' my results, I'd probably have dropped out without them...

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you the type of person who can readily make friends in a new environment and think you would excel in a competitive environment? If so, I would recommend you to make the move to the selective school where it is likely there will be more motivation and better teachers to maximise your results.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
You haven't made any good friends have you...

Most of people I know including me still very much hang out and talk with our friends from high school,sure you'll also make good friends at university and they might possibilty take over one day but so far I still very much talk to my high school friends frequently(into second year high school) and they don't even go to the same uni as me (helps they do a similar degree though).

Congratulations on maintaining your friendship!

Man, not everyone has good friends like you. If OP was like you, and truly values friendship then this thread wouldn't have been created, and we wouldnt be having this conversation. OP, you know where to go, and just by you making this thread, you know which one is better for you. Move schools. Your friends won't sit your exams for you, and you will without a doubt make friends with people over there, just as you made friends in your current school.

Good luck, and choose wisely. ATAR > Friends that will fade away after a year or so. If I was in your position, I wouldn't think twice. I'm sure many wouldve done the same.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC

Sadly, this was true for me.

Chronost

HSC
Congratulations on maintaining your friendship!

Man, not everyone has good friends like you. If OP was like you, and truly values friendship then this thread wouldn't have been created, and we wouldnt be having this conversation. OP, you know where to go, and just by you making this thread, you know which one is better for you. Move schools. Your friends won't sit your exams for you, and you will without a doubt make friends with people over there, just as you made friends in your current school.

Good luck, and choose wisely. ATAR > Friends that will fade away after a year or so. If I was in your position, I wouldn't think twice. I'm sure many wouldve done the same.
High school is usually a place where people find long life friends, atar fades away fast once in your in university, and there's always plenty of alternatives such as transferring from a different university or internally. On the other hand good friends don't fade,however to have such a good bond in the first place usually requires signficant time spent with that person to know and trust them. You seem to be at a case where you didn't make any good friends during high school and thus think ATAR is everything during highschool, which really it isn't. OP you can still get a very good atar at your current school, not to mention to shoulder off a financial burden from your parents is also a very good thing(alternatively use that money for tutoring which will be much better as teachers at most schools are generally similar). Like Verify said there's also a chance you won't enjoy the new environment and might crackle under pressure and just fail,the worst part being having no friends around to support you.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
High school is usually a place where people find long life friends, atar fades away fast once in your in university, and there's always plenty of alternatives such as transferring from a different university or internally. On the other hand good friends don't fade,however to have such a good bond in the first place usually requires signficant time spent with that person to know and trust them. You seem to be at a case where you didn't make any good friends during high school and thus think ATAR is everything during highschool, which really it isn't. OP you can still get a very good atar at your current school, not to mention to shoulder off a financial burden from your parents is also a very good thing(alternatively use that money for tutoring which will be much better as teachers at most schools are generally similar). Like Verify said there's also a chance you won't enjoy the new environment and might crackle under pressure and just fail,the worst part being having no friends around to support you.
Agreed! I know I'm a cunt and no one one wants to be friends with me. I'll see myself out.

Good luck in deciding OP. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chronost

HSC
Agreed! I know I'm a cunt and no one one wants to be friends with me. I'll see myself out.

Good luck in deciding OP. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol geez, come to BoS meet, you'll make some good friends there (Y)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
money is infinite, HSC isn't
Wut. You say that like the HSC is the most important thing in the world. Just because you don't go to a selective school doesn't mean you can't make the most of your HSC. If he studies hard at a a selective school, he'll get a good ATAR. If he studies hard at his current school, he'll get a good ATAR and get paid to do it. Isn't that decision a no brainer?

braintic

HSC
N/A
Move schools and make new friends with intelligent people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)