Should I even bother with 2 unit maths? (1 Viewer)

Foxyq

HSC
I have an assessment tomorrow which I am screwed for. I am literally expecting around 20%. This assessment is worth 25%, I have completed 50% of the course already for math, so that's 75%. I have screwed up math this entire year. For the first assessment, worth 25%, I got 23% and in the second one, also worth 25%, I got 22%. My rank is 33/42 for math.

I am doing more than 10 units:
Math
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies
English Standard

I am doing pretty good with my other subjects and my ranks are in the top ten. Also I have only completed around 30-40% for each subject so far. So I still have 60-70% worth of assessments to do. The HSC only accounts for your top 10 units right? So math won't be counted in the atar if it's the worst subject. Also, I have a biology test tomorrow as well, and i'll be studying for that. Should I even bother with 2 unit math?

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I have an assessment tomorrow which I am screwed for. I am literally expecting around 20%. This assessment is worth 25%, I have completed 50% of the course already for math, so that's 75%. I have screwed up math this entire year. For the first assessment, worth 25%, I got 23% and in the second one, also worth 25%, I got 22%. My rank is 33/42 for math.

I am doing more than 10 units:
Math
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies
English Standard

I am doing pretty good with my other subjects and my ranks are in the top ten. Also I have only completed around 30-40% for each subject so far. So I still have 60-70% worth of assessments to do. The HSC only accounts for your top 10 units right? So math won't be counted in the atar if it's the worst subject. Also, I have a biology test tomorrow as well, and i'll be studying for that. Should I even bother with 2 unit math?
Correction, the atar only takes 10 units into consideration. Math may not be included I'm the atar calculation, but since you hsc gin so far why not just keep going ??

Foxyq

HSC
Yes that's what I mean...the atar only takes 10 units into consideration...your top best performing units..and maths is my worst subject so it shouldn't be included in the atar..right?

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that's what I mean...the atar only takes 10 units into consideration...your top best performing units..and maths is my worst subject so it shouldn't be included in the atar..right?
No it shouldn't be included .

Streetboy

HSC
N/A
right?

Maths would not be included, but it can be since you might screw your other subjects in the external exam bro.

Just work hard for all and just see what happens.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
If you're not going to bother with maths then wouldn't it be better for you to drop it since you know it won't count?
It'll save you from doing an extra assessment and more work and let you focus on your other subjects.

Well, like mentioned above, I guess you'll just have to see how you go.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Agree with streetboy...you should be worried about all your subjects.

Even if you have 12 units, study for all of them and see how you go...

You can't really predict whats gonna happen in the external exams, what if you perform poorly in one of your other subjects? Then 2U Maths might end up being counted...

Foxyq

HSC
Okay, I have a test tomorrow which includes everything from year 11 and 12. Should I bother studying for it when I have a biology test on Friday? I'll put effort into maths but how i'm pretty much screwed for tomorrows exam :S

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
you should study for tomorrow's test! if you did your homework you should do some practice questions and get a goodnight sleep, hope for the best haha.

good luck!

wtfnoob123

HSC
maths is an integral part of the HSC ( from my point of view and my parents- ) haha i would bother :)!

Foxyq

HSC
I agree, it is important maths is, but plenty of people have earned excellent atars without maths. It's just not my strongest subject, the school won't let me drop to general and it's too late to drop anyways. There's no way i'll be able to get above 50% for the maths exam tomorrow no matter how much I study today because I haven't been revising maths on a consistent basis. I am going to probably pull an all nighter tonight to study for both maths and biology though just to get the best possible mark I can. Thanks everyone for the replies!

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree, it is important maths is, but plenty of people have earned excellent atars without maths. It's just not my strongest subject, the school won't let me drop to general and it's too late to drop anyways. There's no way i'll be able to get above 50% for the maths exam tomorrow no matter how much I study today because I haven't been revising maths on a consistent basis. I am going to probably pull an all nighter tonight to study for both maths and biology though just to get the best possible mark I can. Thanks everyone for the replies!
Will you need maths for uni?

Foxyq

HSC
No I won't, I wanted to get into a games development course - the atar cut off is 85 at UTS, which I am confident I can get into without maths.. :S I'm doing pretty well in all my other subjects

wtfnoob123

HSC
That's true, I have a family friend who achieved 99.95 with no maths :) but if you enjoy it, you will do well

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If you're not going to bother with maths then wouldn't it be better for you to drop it since you know it won't count?
It'll save you from doing an extra assessment and more work and let you focus on your other subjects.

Well, like mentioned above, I guess you'll just have to see how you go.
Yeah I agree with this lovely member. Getting 20 or so% in math assessments will mean it's definitely not going to count. If you are going to put decent effort into the backup or it's unsure what will count, go with 12 units but in your case, I can't see a purpose to keeping maths. Put that energy into doing as well as possible in your other 10 units, and get that 85+.

Foxyq

HSC
The problem is, my school won't let me drop maths. They always say this thing where, "Through statistics, students perform better with more than 10 units". I talked to the principle about this and they strictly said no. A student I know wanted to drop CAFS, our school wouldn't let him, so I don't see how they will let me drop maths..

Are schools even allowed to do this?

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
The problem is, my school won't let me drop maths. They always say this thing where, "Through statistics, students perform better with more than 10 units". I talked to the principle about this and they strictly said no. A student I know wanted to drop CAFS, our school wouldn't let him, so I don't see how they will let me drop maths..

Not sure. But you can just do other subjects in maths :p

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Not meant to. You should be allowed to drop it.

Just do your other work in it or something.

Lul

HSC
I would highly recommend you drop maths mate. It will destroy you. You would be able to enhance your performance in other subjects if so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)