Should I drop? (1 Viewer)

Vintu

HSC
I just got my prelim English advanced results back and I did pretty badly just missing out on a pass, I was wondering if would it be beneficial for me to drop down to standard English or if could I still get a better atar by staying in English advanced?

mcchamp

HSC
Depends on how confident you feel. If you know where you went wrong and feel like you can fix it, then you probably should keep Advanced. However, if you don't really understand why you got a bad mark and feel like you can't make an essay that's much better, then you should probably drop to Standard.

Yueyue

HSC
Ngl eng adv and eng standard are very similar, but eng adv has better alignment so i would suggest that you keep eng adv considering the difficulty of both courses aren’t that different…

liamkk112

HSC
personally i dropped to english standard in year 12 and i ended up topping my cohort whereas in advanced i couldnt even get an a, the expectations not only within ur school but also nesa's marking is lighter, the texts are easier, u wouldn't be expected to write the 4 paragraphs that many advanced students write, etc. overall i would say drop if u feel that u have enough skill/motivation to get a top rank in ur cohort, otherwise as others have said its easy to get dragged down by alignment, scaling etc. also a good reason to drop is to have more time to invest in other subjects, for me a very strong reason as to why i dropped was in order to have more time to focus on 4u math which i picked up, reading a 200 page book and understanding its intricacies is much easier and less time consuming than reading a 1000 page book. but either way, i think there is a very strong stigma around standard which i think is understandable lol but as long as u can high b5 / low b6 the subject, u have a decent cohort, its essentially comparable to getting a high b5 in english advanced anyway, so ye.

additionally, u say "get a better atar" by staying in advanced... if you're really willing to push yourself, write essays and seek feedback frequently, re-read your texts several times, and genuinely put in the effort in advanced u can succeed, its not like standard will be a "free" subject and it is quite the opposite of that. so just keep that in mind, it really doesn't matter if u pick standard or advanced, ultimately its the mark u recieve that will deterimine if u "get a better atar" regardless of the subject

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)