Should I drop to General? (1 Viewer)

Yoko Hono

HSC
Hi.

My class just got our half yearlies back and I didn't do very well - but it was a really hard paper. I got 67.5 out of 120 which gave me a performance aligned mark of 73% - I was ranked 15th out of 28th for the task.

In my last test i got 74% as a PAM.

A fair few people in my class are dropping down to general maths and I justed wanted to get yur thoughts on whether I should or not - would i do better in general maths? - Is there too much content to catch up on?

Please help!! :confused:

currysauce

Actuary in the making
HSC
nah don't drop, i know people getting 50%'s and are staying, plus you said it was a hard test... and the hsc exam is pretty straightforward.

Yoko Hono

HSC
Nah - there are about 5 people in my class that are ging to drop some time this week - it is pretty late to be dropping but my school is still allowing it.

Thanks for your advice - I'll just talk to my teacher and then decide.

azza_3761

HSC
You would have enough time to catch up on the topics. Even though standard is hell easier than 2 unit doesn't mean that u can catch up on 2 terms worth of work before the trials. I would keep it.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
2 unit and general.. are totally different topics.

It'll be harder to catch up if you drop. the effort you put in to catch up can be better spent patching up your 2 unit weaknesses instead.

Thats my 2cents.

MaryJ_

HSC
My teacher said the same thing. You are better off fixing what you already know than starting all over. I'm staying, eventhough I got 53%. As far as I'm concerned, I just want to have Mathematics on my list of undertaken courses, nobody needs to know what I got lol. I'm 95% sure it won't be counted when it all comes down to it anyway. Just incase, I'm working twice as hard. Hang in there :D

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I failed my first two assessments and then got 63% in my 1/2 yearly
and im not dropping
however i hate maths and its my worst subject

Rolphy

HSC
um my maths head teacher told me to drop because i got 31.5% in my 1st assess task and i said no and i went into his class and i had to catch up a whole chapter cause his class was ahead and he doesnt explain things. there was originally 2 2u classes but head teacher wants one and i was in the 2nd class which had half general ppl in it and the teacher focussed on them more now i just did my half yearlys and the head teacher said i have to drop if i dont get 60 % or up.

can he do that

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I think I failed everything I ever did in 2unit maths. I don't know if thats cause of how my school marked or just cause I was really fucking dumb. Probably mostly me being stupid. I ended up with a HSC mark of 74 which was my worst mark, and I probably spent more time on maths than every other subject combined.

When you start consitently failing, not understanding stuff and generally getting bored of the subject you should drop.

Rolphy

HSC
im not bored of the subject i just need a teacher that will explain it properly and since there is only one teacher (ie. the dickhead head teacher) who is teaching it i dont know wat to do

HSC
if you are really curious, put your half yearly assessment mark for mathematics into SAM plus other subjects and check sam, then change that to mathematics, if your UAI only drops by 2 like mine did, drop down, get a higher mark and it'd make up for it

i do regret dropping from mathematics I admit, but meh its really upto you, if you go into general you need at least 85% to avoid the bad scaling

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Rolphy said:
im not bored of the subject i just need a teacher that will explain it properly and since there is only one teacher (ie. the dickhead head teacher) who is teaching it i dont know wat to do
The worst thing that can happen is having a bad teacher. My teacher completely sucked and thats part of the reason I was doing so bad. The only reason I even understood it at all is because I had a tutor.

Rolphy

HSC
so should i get a tutor cause i really dont want to drop i need 2u for a uni course also ive seen the general work its so boring its like year 10 work over again

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Rolphy said:
so should i get a tutor cause i really dont want to drop i need 2u for a uni course also ive seen the general work its so boring its like year 10 work over again
I don't know your school. A lot depends on how hard they mark. As I said I think my school marked really hard.

There is no middle ground beteew general and 2 unit. General is year 9 maths and 2 unit is just too hard.

HSC
in year 11 general maths is very easy, but it does get harder in year 12, alot of logical thinking, but you just gotta stay on top of it, and if you dont, then you can always cram the night before to stick it in

if you really and truley can't go on, dont forget that you can take some subjects up while doing your uni course to bridge 2u mathematics, or do it during summer holidays

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)