should i drop Modern History (1 Viewer)

doctorhayman

HSC
sup so I was thinking about dropping Modern, I've been holding onto that thought for the last three weeks since Y12 has started

I'm currently doing 13 units, if I drop it I go down to 11

I haven't immediately dropped it yet because I'm concerned about my Physics prelim mark (57%, but still above the year average), but rank-wise, Modern History is my worst subject. Percentage-wise, it is not, but I've been told that this MH cohort is extremely strong so it might just be skill distribution that brings my rank down

I really dislike it, I find it incredibly boring and I really could spend my time studying other subjects. I don't waste free periods except for when they're in period 5 (I leave early instead)

I go to a top 50 NSW school if that matters

If anyone could provide some advice or anecdotes relating to that then that would be pretty cool

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
There are a few things to consider:

Dropping to 11 units could be a problem down the track with physics. Just because your physics rank is higher than modern, doesn't mean you are currently on track to do better in physics. I would suggest checking the website 'HSC Ninja', and checking how many band 6s your school gets in both these subjects. For example, if your rank is 25/50 in modern and 20/50 in physics, that does not necessarily mean that your physics is better, as modern may do better at your school.

You should do subjects that you enjoy. If you really dislike modern, I would suggest dropping it. Going back to my first point, if modern does considerably worse than physics at your school (based on band 6s, and band 5s if you ask your school for them), then definitely drop modern. If you need help working out how your rank correlates to hsc marks for both subjects, i would ask your school, as they may be able to help.

radish33

HSC
If you really hate Modern and don't do well with essay writing, I don't think it's worth keeping. In my opinion, physics is easier to grind out and get better at as the maths doesn't delve into calculus or include things along that line of complexity. PhysicsHigh is a great channel for understanding the content if you need.

Reactions: wfj

goodcat911

HSC
sup so I was thinking about dropping Modern, I've been holding onto that thought for the last three weeks since Y12 has started

I haven't immediately dropped it yet because I'm concerned about my Physics prelim mark (57%, but still above the year average), but rank-wise, Modern History is my worst subject. Percentage-wise, it is not, but I've been told that this MH cohort is extremely strong so it might just be skill distribution that brings my rank down

I really dislike it, I find it incredibly boring and I really could spend my time studying other subjects. I don't waste free periods except for when they're in period 5 (I leave early instead)

If anyone could provide some advice or anecdotes relating to that then that would be pretty cool
1698375331450.png

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC

I did modern, and i'll be honest history is that kind of subject where you need to put a ton of effort in to get yourself in the 24-25/25 mark. and all i'm saying now, if you're not interested in it or find it boring the harder it'll be to put in the effort, which can be detrimental as it's so easy to fall behind because of all the content (which is way more heavy in the hsc course than prelims). everyone i knew who took it as a bludge ended up dropping it because of how awful it got for those who weren't really into it. if you really dislike it or find it boring and you didn't do brilliant in it, I'd say to drop modern over physics. your physics might be worse than modern but objectively i feel maths and the sciences are easier to push your marks into the higher bands through practice.

a small word of advice though from the other perspective, my friend was in the same boat as you (except it was chemistry, not physics). she decided to tough it out, since the first assessment task was an essay for a topic we were already notified by the start of the term. she ended up doing much better in modern history (25/25) than chemistry which she'd put more effort into, so chose to drop chem (she's ranked 3rd in the cohort now). perhaps you'd want to stick around if you're interested in the topics they do in year 12 (i didn't like some of the year 11 topics but really enjoyed year 12's, cos it focused a lot on soviet history which i'm really interested in). so if you have that inkling of interest i'd say to keep it especially if the cohort is strong (many people do much better in year 12, my very first assessment task i got 67% in year 11 but in year 12 i never got below a 100% in my essays). but honestly it's way more reasonable to me why'd you want to opt out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)