should I drop legal studies or chemistry? (1 Viewer)

yennie B

HSC
I've slackened for chemistry this year BUT i don't have any science related subjects. I don't like the idea of doing legal for hsc cos i favour subjects that don't require long responses (considering i do french beginners, pd/h/pe, maths (3u) and eng (3u))

and yes chemistry does scale but i'll probably obtain a mark around the 70's- 80's.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Drop Chemistry because Legal is orsum and sxclol

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Do the course, which you feel most comfortable with - stick with the one that you know you will perform better in. If you're worried that doing legal may scale you down - dont because it is very possible to get a uai of 100 with 'low scaling subjects' Low scaling subjects only scale you down, if you do poorly - and the same can be said for high scaling subjects, getting a 50 in chem wont help your uai much. That being said - choose the subject you enjoy and will do better in. :)

Zephyrio

HSC
If you believe that you'll score around a band four in chemisty, don't do it as it's not worth it.

Think about it this way. Score band four in chem and that'll be crap for your UAI; conversely, score band six in legal and it'll be great for your UAI.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
yennie B said:
I've slackened for chemistry this year BUT i don't have any science related subjects. I don't like the idea of doing legal for hsc cos i favour subjects that don't require long responses (considering i do french beginners, pd/h/pe, maths (3u) and eng (3u))

and yes chemistry does scale but i'll probably obtain a mark around the 70's- 80's.
LOL hiiiii tuyen :)
Drop chemistry! I hear stories about your class how girls come out crying from that exam..
oh wait that may have been physics haha whatever! xD

Last edited:

yennie B

HSC
ness.xox said:
LOL hiiiii tuyen :)
Drop chemistry! I hear stories about your class how girls come out crying from that exam..
oh wait that may have been physics haha whatever! xD
HAIL CAPTAIN!!! :)

it was physics.

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
Paul Green said:
Paul Green
Age 37? What the hell are you doing here spamming the forums here.

Anyway to get closer to the topic. Yennie I think you should study what you think you like more of. Consider the yearly test for preliminary, which were you better at and found easier. I think you know this already though.

If I were you I would choose legal studies, because long responses could be learnt to do well in.
There are long responses in chemistry too. I think, those discussion questions? Or was it biology? lol...confused.

Anyway, its just that I would do legal, but if you like chem more or find it easier, you should do chem. Its different to other people.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Hm, quite idiotic that most of us here in the PRELIM forum can barely even vote?

Ah, well back on track, how are you doing in legal? Is it better than chem ?

Being very biased here, keep chem. It's a mad subject. But do you plan on doing a science related course in uni? Cos if not then chem is really just useless for you.

SENIOR SCIENCE! nah, just a suggestion .. it's easy as and it's all the science subjects in one?

conroy1234

supermeatpie
HSC
depends, which are you doing better in?

legal studies and chemistry both scale well, but in saying that, if you do crap in either of them, then its going to pull ur UAI down abit

Chemistry is brilliant, IF you understand it
if you don't, i'd drop it, cos you really have to understand what it's talking about to do well in it

and yeah, thats my two cents on the issue

joughy

HSC
i would recomend u to drop chemistry because legal is a good subject and is more funner, trust me if u take that into your hsc year u will have no regrets :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
joughy, make sure you dont use funner in your hsc exams.

to the original poster, choose the one that you like the most. this is from past experience.

cluelesschild

HSC
yennie B said:

Wow! you faced the same confusion that i did. i was also stuck on whether to drop chemistry or legal. I had people telling me chemistry is a higher scaling you'd be a fool to drop it but then personally i loved legal studies and was really willing to study for it unlike chemistry.i ended up listening to my teahers advice who said which ever subject you will achieve best at strive for that.i dropped chemistry and kept legal instead so far i have no regrets.Chemistry is a VERY competitive subject and you wont get scaled up unless you score above the state average. forget scaling do whatever you will achieve better at because at the end of the day thats what counts.scaling will get you only so far,its the marks that count.good luck!

chadmeleon

HSC
well it really depends...do you have any idea abotu what you want to do? I guess in terms of keeping your options open it helps to have at least one science...but if you dont want to do anything to do with sci or medicine then why bother
I dont know but legal studies seems kinda useless except in terms of doing law or possibly business.
...what are your other subjects?

yennie B

HSC
wrong_turn said:
joughy, make sure you dont use funner in your hsc exams.

to the original poster, choose the one that you like the most. this is from past experience.
LOL. i agree.

yennie B

HSC
cluelesschild said:
Wow! you faced the same confusion that i did. i was also stuck on whether to drop chemistry or legal. I had people telling me chemistry is a higher scaling you'd be a fool to drop it but then personally i loved legal studies and was really willing to study for it unlike chemistry.i ended up listening to my teahers advice who said which ever subject you will achieve best at strive for that.i dropped chemistry and kept legal instead so far i have no regrets.Chemistry is a VERY competitive subject and you wont get scaled up unless you score above the state average. forget scaling do whatever you will achieve better at because at the end of the day thats what counts.scaling will get you only so far,its the marks that count.good luck!
HHAHA. why thankyou for the advice. and yes the whole hsc scaling process is corrupt !

so i've deecided to drop chem! Now i'm very much not dreading every tuesday, thursday. cheers guy.

thread closed :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)