• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

should i drop it? advice, please! (1 Viewer)

somewhereelse

HSC
hey I got back to school today (after a nice long trip) feeling pretty guilty that I havent done ANYTHING on my crappy mw other than consider how bad my idea was and come up with countless snippets of character/setting/dialouge inspired by my experiences overseas-- to find that 3 of my friends are planning on dropping the subject and that got me wanting to aswell. later in the day (sorry this is a bit of a story- but i want some good advice so you need to know the history!) i found out i got 90% for my proposal, the top mark... which made me dissapointed that i had one less reason to get rid of it. once i got into the mind frame of 'i'll probably drop it so i dont have to worry anymore', i felt so relieved!

so easy choice, right? well the thing is, i ranked 2nd in the grade for 3u last year, and im pretty up there for advanced english... and so i feel like i'd be missing out on a potential opportuinity to write something brilliant, get a top band mark and improve my uai- and counter my inevitably shitty performance in ancient history (i have 12 units at the moment) but the issue is getting it done. i felt swamped last year, without having a major work to deal with. i know i will feel fantastic when i finally hand it in, if its good enough, which is pretty hit-and-miss, cause i either do something really well and know it (most of the time) or do it mediocre and feel bad about it, but also am too unmotivated to change it (the other times). BUT i also know its a hell of a lot of work!

advice, please! are you going through with it/already dropped it? did you do either in previous years?

Last edited:

Sweet Saz

HSC
Hey somwhereelse. You seem to be going through exactly what has gone through my head the last couple of months. I missed the last 2 weeks of school last year so I didn't hand in my draft proposal, even though I had absolutely nothing. I have struggled with deciding upon medium, subject matter, idea/concept etc... I had 6 weeks before me to create somthing good. Yet again I couldn't think of anything. I already had too many units so I decided for my sainity I would have to drop Ext 2. I did have my regrets but it took the pressure off during the holidays. When I got back to school this year my teacher is away on leave so I can't talk to her. So I approached the relieving teacher and told her I was dropping it. But she wouldn't let me without tryng to help me first. Now I'm stuck. All the feelings and reason I felt when starting Ext 2 have returned and now I'm not so sure. I'm still stuck with writers block and am going nowhere but I want to work through them, but I still have the same problems. I am indecisive to begin with which makes it even harder. My proposal is due on Tuesday and I don't know what to do. Drop or stick it out and work through it. I don't think I can help you very much but you have to make your own decision. You sound like you're a dedicated student who can do anything they set their mind on and do it well. It is a hell of a lot of work but will it be worth it to you went you complete the major work and the sense of satisfaction when you hand it in and get a great mark. Talk to your teacher and other students in the class, maybe they can help.

J

jhakka

To the threadstarter: No.

You should only drop a subject if you are failing to cope with the workload, are failing the subject itself or are generally unhappy with being there. While you may have not done much, you don't seem to fit this criteria.

Your problem is that you think you're being lazy and don't want to actually do anything about it except take the easy way out.

In any case, you shouldn't be worried until the end of the Easter break. Back in my day, no one in my class had anything at all done except their proposal.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If your friends' dropping out of a subject gives you that much incentive to do likewise then you shall have alot of problems in either TAFE or university should you decide to pursue them, as people drop out of there all the time. Instead you should ask yourself whether you think you can cope with writing a major work or if you would at all enjoy the creative process involved in doing so.

It is also a good idea to remember that regardless of how much work has been completed, people still completely dump their ideas a couple of months (or even weeks) away from submission date so as to start a new one. While I definitely don't recommend you to do that, it should show you that all is not lost simply because you haven't done a huge amount of work - you may have had to restart anyway, just as half the state does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)