Should i drop from 12 --> 10 units? (1 Viewer)

PandA_

HSC
I am thinking of dropping economics so from 12Units --> 10Units
Subjects

English (Advanced)
Maths (2U)
Maths (Ext 1)
Physics
Chemistry
Studies of Religion
Economics

Subject I might drop Economics
Reason: I find it hard understanding the concepts and effects on economies e.g. Balance of payments etc....
My first assessment mark was 95% .. AVG 85%
Should i drop Economics and just do 10 units?
Anyone who has done economics of is doing it, any advice would be helpful HOW DO I UNDERSTAND IT BETTER??? although my first assessment was good i think i will struggle with upcoming exams and understanding

UAI Aim 90+

Thnx

joben

HSC
i had 12 units and dropped to ten. I also dropped economics. If u are finding it boring and tedious, and it is DETRACTING from your other subjects, u should drop it. On the other hand, 95% is very good - maybe u should drop a weaker subject?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
The 2008 scaling report said that the students with higher UAIs tended to have more than 10 units (as has been the trend for the past few years).
However, they point out that there isn't a direct correlation between more units and higher UAI. That just means that just because you have more units, it doesn't mean you'll get a high UAI. It ultimately depends on your method of study, but apparently the smarter students could handle more than 10 units.

Venom.

HSC
Depends greatly on how you're doing in the other subjects. Explain now.

PandA_

HSC
Umm..
Im not to sure on my exact ranks ill give rough estimations
Physics 2/20
Chemistry 8/35
Adv English not so good ><
S.O.R 88% top maybe 10/60
Maths 2U top 20/60 students
Ext 1
Economics small class of about 10 ppl

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
LOL; that's like the Asian combo subjects.

jellybelly59

HSC
An average of 85% is a decent percentage. I would keep it if you were ranked in the top 10 and it didn't overtake your time for other work.

edit: hahaha you're practically in the top 10 anyway lol (sorry didn't read ur later msg).... umm... maybe top 5 or top 3 then?

LordPc

HSC
keep eco, you clearly are already doing well, and I dont see reason to drop. best advice would be to get leading egde for eco as it clearly explains all concepts. so its a good go-to book when you dont understand anything.

honestly, balance of payments is tough, and you will most likely struggle. however do understand that everyone else in your class will also struggle because its a weird concept and it involves understanding many relationships and definitions and such.

but otherwise, economics isnt really hard, just balance of payments. so if you give that one topic a good amount of study, then you should sitting pretty till HSC time.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Only do 10 units if you feel like you're sitting quite comfortably high marks-wise.

I dropped from 13 --> 10, purely because i had so many major works, and also because I'm averaging mid to high 90's in all of the subjects i'm doing now. Oh, and i guess this is only valid if you're aiming for a great UAI.

If you think you can motivate yourself to do extra work for those 10, then do it. Just don't make a blind judgement, and misdiagnose an enthusiasm for free time as enthusiasm to do more work.

You sound unsure about Adv. English. You know that 2 units of English definitely count for the UAI, right?

emmjee92

HSC
Uni Grad
haha...u did the exact same subjects as me in Year 11...and funnily enough, i drop eco after being in the same position as you
but then again, i'm now doing 11 units coz i picked up ext. 2 maths at the start of yr 12

emmjee92

HSC
Uni Grad
but then again 95% is a damn good mark...i dropped it cos i was getting around the 60% mark
doing 10 units is kinda risky because you don't have any fall-back units in the hsc, but if ur good at ur other subjects, then...

PandA_

HSC
thnx for advice, i think i mite purchase leading edge and see if it helps, i have half yearlys soon so after that i guess i will make my final deision

Kaatie

HSC
i would drop it it is very boring and you dont want to study for it because of the essay questions whereas studying for chem and physics would be much more enjoyable. what textbook you have? i would drop it if i could despite being ranked 1st except i have ten units :(

kevv069

HSC
drop it.
doing 10 units opens up time for all your other
subjects and it sounds like ur doing well overall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)