Should i drop extension 1 mathematics? (1 Viewer)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
I got my maths extension results back and they were not good... i came almost bottom in extension and im scared they might drop me. The problem is if i drop extension, i'll be down to 10 units, so i wouldnt have a safety net if i were to mess up on my other units. I can't pick up history which is in line with maths extension because it's half way into the year and i certainly cannot pick up senior science because i'd have to drop one my sciences... What should i do?!

bangladesh

HSC
Get a tutor or any other form of help you can get and learn the content properly. extension math really is a very rewarding subject to have so i personally would say don't drop it and just try and improve in it.

J280

HSC
Unless you are actually hating it, I'd say stick with it because you can always improve :)

photastic

HSC
Lol, I would suggest you drop it at the end of prelims because some of the content in 3u will be beneficial for 2u. Lol failed preliminary 3u (Lolol 25/70 for my final prelim exam). Now i'm first. :)

(Hold on! Your signature suggests you only have 10 units!!!)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Get a tutor or any other form of help you can get and learn the content properly. extension math really is a very rewarding subject to have so i personally would say don't drop it and just try and improve in it.
yeah, im trying this tutorial place at Cabramatta.

Unless you are actually hating it, I'd say stick with it because you can always improve :)
I actually don't mind extension mathematics. The teacher just explains it in a way that it's so complex than it really is..

Lol, I would suggest you drop it at the end of prelims because some of the content in 3u will be beneficial for 2u. Lol failed preliminary 3u (Lolol 25/70 for my final prelim exam). Now i'm first. :)

(Hold on! Your signature suggests you only have 10 units!!!)
wait drop or don't drop? Yeah, I've realised. Omg teach me... I'm missing economics. Since this signature was from last year, I wasn't sure to go with either biology or economics.

photastic

HSC
Tbh, I haven't done have anything special but simply revised the concepts and applied it with past papers and textbooks (Cambridge FTW). If I have problems, I would refer to the textbook or even the teacher, unless they're bad and can't teach (thank god I don't). Your combination is not relatively hard but rather time consuming so you would feel the pressure since there's a lot of content for chem and phys, srsly, one module is the whole course for SOR I. If you are really doing poorly, like say bottom 30 percentile of your grade, you're gonna fail, drop or not to drop, that is up to you because I don't know the strength of your cohort.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I want to drop extension maths :| It's too hard...my exam is next Tuesday...trying to figure out if I should drop now or wait till after the test. Not like I'll do any good anyway. :/

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
imo, drop it. if you're going to stress about 1 unit over the whole year then it's not worth it

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh, I haven't done have anything special but simply revised the concepts and applied it with past papers and textbooks (Cambridge FTW). If I have problems, I would refer to the textbook or even the teacher, unless they're bad and can't teach (thank god I don't). Your combination is not relatively hard but rather time consuming so you would feel the pressure since there's a lot of content for chem and phys, srsly, one module is the whole course for SOR I. If you are really doing poorly, like say bottom 30 percentile of your grade, you're gonna fail, drop or not to drop, that is up to you because I don't know the strength of your cohort.
Well they are quite competitive, 5 marks made 20 ranks difference. I am doing poorly but I want to improve a lot! I am willing to put in the effort but my teacher is quite menial, he comes late to class 10 minutes every day, he over complicates theory and he assigns us tons of homework - some of which isn't relevant to the course or TOO basic.

imo, drop it. if you're going to stress about 1 unit over the whole year then it's not worth it
It does stress me out a lot but I do want to improve on it A LOT... but if I do drop, I wont have a safety net.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
It does stress me out a lot but I do want to improve on it A LOT... but if I do drop, I wont have a safety net.
The idea of a safety net (imo) is stupid. Why waste countless hours on a subject that WILL be irrelevant in the end. Personally; I couldnt wait to get to 10 units because it was so much easier.

However if you do want to keep it; your marks have to be up there to get a competitive atar and how you do that is up to you (invest in a tutor, spend more time on it, do more homework, whatever)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Besides considering of getting a private tutor for maths-if you don't have one already and asking more questions, there is something I would highly advise you to do, and that is, to take more responsibility for your own learning. I empathise with your teacher's lack of commitment towards teaching through his lack of punctuality and other behaviours, however, in senior years, you need to take a much more proactive approach to actively understand and improve-skills which will come extremely helpful when you get to uni:)

rawrliongirl

HSC
i dropped xD I'm so glad i did. i did the exam today and skipped about 3/4 of the test. .-. handed my form to the deputy today to drop extension maths. feeling relieved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)