Should I drop Eng Ext? (1 Viewer)

yoyo0904

HSC
This has been on my mind ever since holidays started. Basically after my first lesson, I've been wanting to drop it. I don't even know how I managed to get through 2014, with only failing one exam (which was my yearly actually..) Main reason I want to drop is my teacher, she's really bad, she can't teach always ends up rambling and goes off topic, her voice doesn't help either. My class went down from 20 to 6. For the first term of year 12, we didn't have an exam so I hardly paid attention. As you can see, I want to drop SO BAD, but the only thing stopping me is scaling and the fact that my school does amazing in the subject (LOL) and I kinda feel sorrt for the teacher cos she's really sweet which is so damn stupid :( Also my other subjects don't really have much scaling, I do 4U maths (I'm okay at it but I suck at 3U), Business (alright as well), Eco (one of my really weak subjects) and SOR1 (bad scaling but its not too bad and easy to bluff my way through)

SO WHAT SHOULD I DO? Thanks, hope everyone's using the holidays well and having fun :)

dirty_ink

HSC
That's a shame, because although it's true that it's ultimately up to the student to cope with classes and studies, the teachers really do play an important part in keeping your head above the water.

If you're convinced you can do well and are motivated to study hard for English Ext to compensate for class time, then keep it. Otherwise, just drop it if it really bothers you that much and concentrate on your other subjects.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
Hmmm. My school's EXT 1 english cohort basically halved at the start of year 12 so I definitely see where you are coming from; the subject is quite demanding given that it's only 1 unit. I'd say wait until your first assessment, and if you don't do well, drop it. If you don't do well, no amount of scaling or cohort ability will save your final mark. Also, don't feel you need to sacrifice a units worth of time just because you feel sorry for your teacher! I know a lot of people who are keeping 3U only because they're too scared to confront the headteacher and it is hell for them. If you really don't like 3U, and you can't deal with it any longer, I'd say drop it.

How are you finding the subject itself? Is it possible to change teachers?

All the best what ever you do :D

HSC
my school's 15 dropped to 3 lol and they say it's because the teacher is unorganised and makes the subject stressful
If you got the hang of extension, then keep it. Most of the time it is independent work

yoyo0904

HSC
Hmmm. My school's EXT 1 english cohort basically halved at the start of year 12 so I definitely see where you are coming from; the subject is quite demanding given that it's only 1 unit. I'd say wait until your first assessment, and if you don't do well, drop it. If you don't do well, no amount of scaling or cohort ability will save your final mark. Also, don't feel you need to sacrifice a units worth of time just because you feel sorry for your teacher! I know a lot of people who are keeping 3U only because they're too scared to confront the headteacher and it is hell for them. If you really don't like 3U, and you can't deal with it any longer, I'd say drop it.

How are you finding the subject itself? Is it possible to change teachers?

All the best what ever you do :D
Thanks for your advice :) Hmm in the first place, I'm not very strong at English so..I'm also not into the deep context that we have to know and independent reading is very hard for me. I'm meant to be doing Romanticism and we did poetry last term and I don't even get it >.< A lot of people in my class have complained to the head, but my teacher is like a "senior teacher" so it's not really possible to change teachers :( I'm honestly leaning towards dropping. The first assessment is a speech and its DURING exam block :( Like the whole cohort have to give up their study periods to listen to speeches which is so pointless.

yoyo0904

HSC
my school's 15 dropped to 3 lol and they say it's because the teacher is unorganised and makes the subject stressful
If you got the hang of extension, then keep it. Most of the time it is independent work
Yeah I agree, I'm a little lazy with independent research and not that interested. Thanks for your comment!

yoyo0904

HSC
That's a shame, because although it's true that it's ultimately up to the student to cope with classes and studies, the teachers really do play an important part in keeping your head above the water.

If you're convinced you can do well and are motivated to study hard for English Ext to compensate for class time, then keep it. Otherwise, just drop it if it really bothers you that much and concentrate on your other subjects.
In all honestly I'm completely leaning towards dropping, I have no motivation and I'd rather. This experience has really made me realise the importance of teachers! Thanks for your advice :D

dirty_ink

HSC
In all honestly I'm completely leaning towards dropping, I have no motivation and I'd rather. This experience has really made me realise the importance of teachers! Thanks for your advice :D
No problem. Best of luck with your studies, mate.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
I think you're better off investing your time in subjects that you enjoy and know you will do well in, because scaling won't be of much assistance if you achieve terrible marks. You will most likely excel in subjects you have a passion for since you will naturally dedicate more time and consequently perform at a higher standard compared to the subjects you dislike. Also to drag through a year with a subject you are reluctant to improve and spend time on will be grueling.

Irrespective of your eventual decision, I hope all turns out for your benefit :D

kyusungasong

HSC
Its depends on whether it impedes your study for other subjects. It scales better than adv and standard so if possible you should keep it, i regret dropping when I did HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)