Should i drop economics? (1 Viewer)

kooltrainer

HSC
im doing 12 units atm and i think i've done pretty badly in 2 of my latter economics assessment .. i aced the first one but the weightings for that one was quite low..
then i got like 60 % in my second one and got 35/48 for third one.. i think my rank is like 40/50..

knowing that my comming trials timetable has economics and physics on the same day... (3 hrs each) theres literally no break in between ( school is 6 hrs).. so i might not do well in physics if i decide to keep economics...
if i don't drop economics, will it drag me uai down really badly? or would it jus wont be counted..

and i donno why i keep losing marks for short answers questions.. they all seem easy and straight forward. .. .. mayb examiners pick on little things... i remember one question that asks us to define inflation or sumthing... i wrote the answer (the average increase in consumer price index) but left out " in a given amount of time" then lost the whole 2 marks..
and also, u no how all those economic effects lead to this and that.. which overall seem to contradict each other.. (like depreciation of $A encourage more FDI, help eco growth.. but it also increase debt then blowout in CAD then reduce eco growth)...questions like this only has one answer but if u write the other one (which is theoretically correct ) u'l get it wrong.. omg..

anyways.. lets not get off topic.. should i drop eco???

Road Runner

HSC
I would say yes. If you are coming like 40/50 in Economics, chances are that it won't count towards you UAI and you would just be wasting time on working on something that wouldnt be counted. But if economics was actually one of your good subjects, then don't drop it. Only drop it if it is your worst subject and are getting crap ranks in.

conics2008

HSC
this is economics.. if you know your current issues on the australian economy then you have no problem in acein that subject.. like i said its a solid subject just know your facts etc etc.. its not like maths where your faced with new problems.. the hsc or exams always ask the same question but written differently.. trust me on that..

economics anyone can do good in it, but its kind of a solid subject notthing changes...

up to you, if you are doing shit then drop it by all means, but if you just did crap in the last 2 then wait.. plus you have till next year to drop a subject.. you dont have to drop it by the end of this year..

bawd

HSC
kooltrainer said:
im doing 12 units atm and i think i've done pretty badly in 2 of my latter economics assessment .. i aced the first one but the weightings for that one was quite low..
then i got like 60 % in my second one and got 35/48 for third one.. i think my rank is like 40/50..

knowing that my comming trials timetable has economics and physics on the same day... (3 hrs each) theres literally no break in between ( school is 6 hrs).. so i might not do well in physics if i decide to keep economics...
if i don't drop economics, will it drag me uai down really badly? or would it jus wont be counted..

and i donno why i keep losing marks for short answers questions.. they all seem easy and straight forward. .. .. mayb examiners pick on little things... i remember one question that asks us to define inflation or sumthing... i wrote the answer (the average increase in consumer price index) but left out " in a given amount of time" then lost the whole 2 marks..
and also, u no how all those economic effects lead to this and that.. which overall seem to contradict each other.. (like depreciation of $A encourage more FDI, help eco growth.. but it also increase debt then blowout in CAD then reduce eco growth)...questions like this only has one answer but if u write the other one (which is theoretically correct ) u'l get it wrong.. omg..

anyways.. lets not get off topic.. should i drop eco???
How well did you go in your previous assessments for Economics? I mean, if you did very well in those, it's highly unlikely your ranking is as low as you have deduced. I think you should ask your teacher about your ranking and as to whether or not you should drop it, because they do have the best idea of your performance in the subject.

runnable

HSC
kooltrainer said:
Well for this question...

Depreciation of A$ will lead to higher growth due to cheaper thus more competitive exports, high FDI (higher investment) and thus higher growth etc. The blowout of CAD and increase in debt are minor issues if its sustainable by the increase in export revenue, shown in the debt servicing ratio, which at the moment is quite solid. The increase in CAD will only reduce growth when the repayments get too huge and investors lose confidence etc, which is not happening in Aus ATM as seen by the record high $A at around US$96c.

See how easy it is to score in Economics ;) Drop if it you dun think its gonna count... But is this your worst subject? If it is, then you should drop it if you think it will disrupt your studies and you may not improve in economics...

kooltrainer

HSC
runnable said:
Well for this question...

Depreciation of A$ will lead to higher growth due to cheaper thus more competitive exports, high FDI (higher investment) and thus higher growth etc. The blowout of CAD and increase in debt are minor issues if its sustainable by the increase in export revenue, shown in the debt servicing ratio, which at the moment is quite solid. The increase in CAD will only reduce growth when the repayments get too huge and investors lose confidence etc, which is not happening in Aus ATM as seen by the record high $A at around US$96c.

See how easy it is to score in Economics ;) Drop if it you dun think its gonna count... But is this your worst subject? If it is, then you should drop it if you think it will disrupt your studies and you may not improve in economics...
u see for this one, u can just as easily argue the opposite.. ( but u'll get 0 marks) .. if the opposite is incorrect, why bother put it in textbooks.. wth..

like i said, i do find economics easy if i'd spend time on it.. and can potentially boost my rank into 20s if i do well in trials (which worths like 50-60%) ... but thing is, economic clashes with my physics trial timetable... 2 subjects consequetively... should i drop eco? or should i jus go for it... is it possible to do well in both phy and eco (taking into account of the harsh timetable; literally non stop) ... most people wont survive this right..

runnable

HSC
kooltrainer said:
u see for this one, u can just as easily argue the opposite.. ( but u'll get 0 marks) .. if the opposite is incorrect, why bother put it in textbooks.. wth..

like i said, i do find economics easy if i'd spend time on it.. and can potentially boost my rank into 20s if i do well in trials (which worths like 50-60%) ... but thing is, economic clashes with my physics trial timetable... 2 subjects consequetively... should i drop eco? or should i jus go for it... is it possible to do well in both phy and eco (taking into account of the harsh timetable; literally non stop) ... most people wont survive this right..

0_0 what is the opposite? I thought i covered that "opposite" in my response (CAD, foreign debt etc)

Clashing of timetables should be the least of reasons to drop a subject... Honestly, drop it if you dun think you can cope with it...

kooltrainer

HSC
hmm...yeh, if i can cope with it but in the end comming like 30 sumthing out of 50.. is it still worth spending time on?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
hmm...yeh, if i can cope with it but in the end comming like 30 sumthing out of 50.. is it still worth spending time on?
No.

runnable

HSC
kooltrainer said:

If you are significantly higher ranked in other subjects than Economics, then it will be good idea to drop it. Not because it clashes with your Physics test lol...

kooltrainer

HSC
runnable said:
If you are significantly higher ranked in other subjects than Economics, then it will be good idea to drop it. Not because it clashes with your Physics test lol...
my physics and chemistry ranks arent significantly higher than eco.. its about the same but slightly better compared to the number of people who are actually doing the subject.. and i feel confident that i can boost my phy/chem ranks significantly higher with the up comming trials.. hmm...
im less confident in economics

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
it might be hard to sit the exams one after the other, but think about it, theres trials and the hsc to go and thats about it. id hang on if u can

smee22

HSC
WOW, i was in exactly the same boat as you just about 2 weeks ago(same subjects too...freaky)
Only difference was, i had economics and 4 unit on the same day in the trials this had no weight on my decision though. I just hated the subject, i had no interest in it left at all, its not exactly like i was doing bad in it, i was about 4th out of around 16 people. It was the worst out of my subjects tho(exceot Re; but thats compulsary, dam school....) personally i found getting 4 study periods per week was much better than sitting through a subject that i didnt care about. So the question should be how interested are you in the subject, because that is what will most likely reflect the effort you will put in and how well you can bounce back.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
kooltrainer said:
If your rank is 30/50, you are clearly not coping with it. If you are, you're barely scrapping through.

kooltrainer

HSC
smee22 said:
WOW, i was in exactly the same boat as you just about 2 weeks ago(same subjects too...freaky)
Only difference was, i had economics and 4 unit on the same day in the trials this had no weight on my decision though. I just hated the subject, i had no interest in it left at all, its not exactly like i was doing bad in it, i was about 4th out of around 16 people. It was the worst out of my subjects tho(exceot Re; but thats compulsary, dam school....) personally i found getting 4 study periods per week was much better than sitting through a subject that i didnt care about. So the question should be how interested are you in the subject, because that is what will most likely reflect the effort you will put in and how well you can bounce back.
so did u decide to keep it? or did u drop it?

economics ..... sigh....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)