Should I drop chem? (1 Viewer)

sammeh

alrighty, heres my question, mostly aimed at ppl who have continued on with chem related studies after hsc:

im doing 14 units 4unit eng + maths, physics, music and chem. the workload is pretty intense, and i think im gonna have to drop something. i have a good understanding of the core concepts of chem, and learn quickly, but the level of attention to detail in both assessments and exam answers i'd need is more than i'll be able to maintain, along with all the rest of my subjects, i think. i could do 14 units, and get a (relatively) high uai, or drop something and possibly get a higher uai - from a totally pragmatic perspective.

so. the point (which i am slowly getting to), is: if i drop chem and then decide i want to do something chem related after leaving, will it be an issue, like can i just do a bridging course and cope? or would it be advisable to do otherwise.

i should point out that i am as yet not certain what sort of career path i'll be embarking on, so yeah.

cheers;

sam.

spice girl

magic mirror
as with bridging courses, it's entirely possible to do one for chem if it's a pre-requisite for a uni course (e.g. med). Actually, you'd find that you'll be better off than those who did HSC chem (cos HSC chem is pretty much one of the worst chem courses in the country).

I don't see why you want to drop chem tho (personally i'd drop phys, it's even worse...)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i suggest droppin' phys... :D

or music :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Doing a bridging course should be fine. If you want to do something related to Chemistry at university if you have the potential to quickly learn the chemistry course through bridging then that would be good.

But you should like Chemistry is quite a strong subject of yours.

You'd want to maximise your UAI. How is your music subject?

Chemistry will probably scale better than music in 2004, and thus if you believe you are doing better in Chemistry than music you'd probably be best to drop music.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Frigid

Originally posted by Ragerunner

Chemistry will probably scale better than music in 2004, and thus if you believe you are doing better in Chemistry than music you'd probably be best to drop music.
not music, it is the best. why do people hate music???

drop both physics and chemistry

why would you want to do chemistry in university any way, is it because that you can learn to cook better or drink pure ethanol???

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by Frigid

i agree with frigid.. for most degrees, they reccomend/assume/prerequitiste chemistry more than the other subs. esp for science degrees. i'd stick with chem if i were you and drop either physics or music

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
why would you want to do chemistry in university any way, is it because that you can learn to cook better or drink pure ethanol???
I never said music is bad :p I meant that if music ends up being your worst subject at the moment, you can probably drop it.

sammeh is doing both 4U maths and 4U english. Which means 2 other subjects must be kept in order to qualify for a HSC.

So you can do Chemistry, and you still have Physics and Music as a dud subject where you don't worry too much about it (But that is entirely up to you).

Or you can continue to learn all 12 units if you feel that is the best way (which can be in case you bomb out of one of the other subjects).

sammeh

thanks for feedback ppl, im really in somewhat of a quandry here, its very helpful to have some other opinions.

hmm the thing is with music, i completed my grade 6 music exam last year, which is the equivalent of hsc music 2 with regard to uni entry. now this would be a perfect reason to drop music - i already have a qualification of equal value - except that it means im pretty much garunteed a high 90's mark in music with very little work, plus it maintains a greater variety of subjects. or i could do the possibly more practical thing and ditch music, keep chem.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i would say drop physics....

If you like calculation do chem
If you like rote learning do physics

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
well looking at life post-hsc, it would be best to drop something other than chem (say physics) coz if you look in the uac book, most courses that require some sorta science require chem, it seems to be the most popular pre-req (i know there are exceptions to this and all...but its just my observations that chem turns up pretty frequently in the guide)
but you def. need to drop something, by this time next yr if you still have 14 units (esp. with the subjects you are doing) you will be totally crazy.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by sammeh
thanks for feedback ppl, im really in somewhat of a quandry here, its very helpful to have some other opinions.

hmm the thing is with music, i completed my grade 6 music exam last year, which is the equivalent of hsc music 2 with regard to uni entry. now this would be a perfect reason to drop music - i already have a qualification of equal value - except that it means im pretty much garunteed a high 90's mark in music with very little work, plus it maintains a greater variety of subjects. or i could do the possibly more practical thing and ditch music, keep chem.
i reckon you should go for 4u math/eng combo plus music so you can aim for 100 uai or something as you are already good at those. and keep phy and chem if you worried about courses in uni, just do them but don't spend too much time on it as it won't count to your uai.

sammeh

yeah browsing the uac guide and noting that chem was a widely suggested course is why i did it in the 1st place.

so the general consensus is drop phys or music if anything? i still need to keep at least 4 subject streams so i can only drop one thing (which is a shame otherwise i'd have a total of 24 free periods each week heh). anyways thanks for your comments all, now i'll just go have a chat with a couple of my teachers and make a decision!

wish me luck :)

sam.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
prereq is usually chem rather than the other sciences

lilp

i suggest that u drop music...i did music in yr 11 and then i dropped it in yr 12 and continued with chem and physics. i finished my grade 8 exam in yr 11, so i guess thats more than equivalent to music 2 but that didnt really put me at an advantage, becoz ther was waaaaaaaaaay too much competition...i think the girl who came first last yr in music finished her licenseship i.e. AMUS and ELMUS and could have qualified to b a teacher, moreover (after watching encore last yr) the band 6 students were at least finished grade 7 or 8...also music takes up ALOT of ur time, as do most practical subjects and that would disadvatage ur other subjects

neways i hope that helps and good luck :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)