Should I drop business studies? (1 Viewer)

hul0

HSC
Im really confused, I don't know if I should continue with the 14 units I have or drop to 12. And I have been doing some reading about maximising your ATAR and such, apparently it's not good to do too many units. :idea:
If I was to drop I would drop business, considering my future career and intrests but saying that the highest mark I got in yr 11 was for business. Also I don't mind dropping ext english, but it scales better and it would help me with advanced.
Any thoughts??

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Out of Physics, Chem, Bio and Business; which are you doing worst in? Consider that a part of your descision. Also keep in mind that if you drop business, your doing all science classes. What are you interested in for the future?

You should probably try and get down to 12 units. 14 is a lot to focus on.

hul0

HSC
well its physics, i got around 88 in the trials. I'm interested in medicine(dream course), .......and engineering to a lesser extent
thanks for your suggestion, you're right I should take it into account.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If you're looking at Med/Eng then drop Business Studies. The other three will be more relevant to you. If that's truly your passion your marks should be able to reflect that.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, 13 is too much, so even if you were to drop EE1 it wouldn't help much.

hul0

HSC
Also, 13 is too much, so even if you were to drop EE1 it wouldn't help much.
Yeah, it wouldn't, but I was just considering it to get rid of the extra stress and pressure. Then again, it's the pressure that pushes you on.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Yeah, it wouldn't, but I was just considering it to get rid of the extra stress and pressure. Then again, it's the pressure that pushes you on.
i think u should get rid of one subject. at the end of the day, u dont have to study for a 2U subject. that makes a huge difference on ur study habit.

funnytomato

HSC
Drop BS, cos the scaling is REALLY bad. Don't keep it unless you're really interested.

hul0

HSC
i think u should get rid of one subject. at the end of the day, u dont have to study for a 2U subject. that makes a huge difference on ur study habit.
Drop BS, cos the scaling is REALLY bad. Don't keep it unless you're really interested.
Thanks guys for helping out, but I spoke to my coordinator today and he said keep the 14 units. He said it has just become a norm, that doing more units may lower your chances of getting high marks. I don't know, after that I suddenly felt that I could do it.

Deathless

HSC
Im really confused, I don't know if I should continue with the 14 units I have or drop to 12. And I have been doing some reading about maximising your ATAR and such, apparently it's not good to do too many units. :idea:
If I was to drop I would drop business, considering my future career and intrests but saying that the highest mark I got in yr 11 was for business. Also I don't mind dropping ext english, but it scales better and it would help me with advanced.
Any thoughts??
Are you year 11 or 12?

Ext Eng is only 1 unit. Unless you're in year 11 and have an option to do Ext 2 Eng, it won't be that helpful in scaling considering it's only 1 unit. Having 12 units would be easier, with 1 backup which you can drop in the later part of year 12 if you're struggling with work load.

oops, just read that you're yr 12 -_-

If you got the highest mark in business, just do it. Since you're good at it. Drop what you're bad at not what scales worst. I did a few 'bad' scaling subjects but did very well in them so that they took part as the units that counted for me rather than ext maths. Ext Eng won't help you that much with adv eng either. If you're considering Aust uni, it doesn't matter what subjects you do, ONLY your ATAR matters.

edit: if you worry about not understanding med/eng and are thinknig of dropping business, you can always do a crash course in a certain HSC subject before uni.

also I don't understand what you're saying? "doing more units may lower your chances of getting high marks?" but your co-od said it's become a norm to keep 14 units? Just remember that if you drop a unit or two, you will get more free periods, less hw, less to study and memorise. You're doing 4 units taht won't count but may take equally as much time as any other units.

Last edited:

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
fair enuf, but im another one who also thinks u should drop bzshit... horrid subject imo

chances are it won't even count in your top 10 units*, so there's no point

*unless u srsly ace it

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
riproot post pics of ur kiddies
i bet theyre adorable

muzeikchun852

HSC
Thanks guys for helping out, but I spoke to my coordinator today and he said keep the 14 units. He said it has just become a norm, that doing more units may lower your chances of getting high marks. I don't know, after that I suddenly felt that I could do it.
i assume u got the worse in physics, since u posted ur physics' mark. if u arent good at physics at hsc, it's sort of an indication that u need to re-think about choosing physics in uni (although i know uni physics is much more mathematical, but concept will be much the same). at the end of the day, if u drop physics in hsc and still want to pursue an engineering course in uni, u can still put engineering as one of ur uni preference and get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)