Should I drop before the trials?? (1 Viewer)

HowToNoob101

HSC
Hey everyone!
I'm currently in year 12 and have trials coming up. I'm thinking of dropping biology as it takes too much of my time.
My current progresses are:
3rd in Physic
9th in Biology
25th in Chemistry
11th in 4U Math
17th in 3U Math
12th in ESL

I was thinking of dropping chemistry over biology due to my ranking, but I realised that biology has a very bad scaling compared to chemistry.. So do you guys think I should drop biology before the trials and focus on improving my chemistry rank?

Elisa Sweet

HSC
I reckon you should probably keep them, cause you've already spent heaps of time on them. Maybe you could think about how much time you spend studying each subject. Maybe spend a bit more time doing chem over bio.

albertcamus

HSC
Bio doesn't really scale all that badly, and given your Chem rank, I'd keep Bio and drop Chem if anything.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Whats your cohort size for each subject, then we can advice which subject you should drop/keep

merna7

HSC
if i were you i'd keep them both just as a back up just incase, and plus you are doing quiet well in both so just keep them and see how you go.

HowToNoob101

HSC
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. The problem I'm having right now is that I'm more confident in doing well on Chemistry in the trials than Biology. Also I haven't started studying biology yet, which would take a lot of my time (done 6 past papers for chemistry already).

HowToNoob101

HSC
I reckon you should probably keep them, cause you've already spent heaps of time on them. Maybe you could think about how much time you spend studying each subject. Maybe spend a bit more time doing chem over bio.
Hey, indeed I have spend some time on Chemistry, but not on Biology yet.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hey both subjects have about 90 people doing it.
If they're both equal I would keep bio over chem simply because your rank in that is pretty good, and drop chem so I can study more for bio more increase(or decrese whichever way you look at it) the rank further. Other then that, the only reason why you should drop bio over chem is that you are confident that you'll do good in chem and by dropping bio you'll make up for your not-too bad chem rank.

HowToNoob101

HSC
If they're both equal I would keep bio over chem simply because your rank in that is pretty good, and drop chem so I can study more for bio more increase(or decrese whichever way you look at it) the rank further. Other then that, the only reason why you should drop bio over chem is that you are confident that you'll do good in chem and by dropping bio you'll make up for your not-too bad chem rank.
Your second option is exactly what I'm thinking of. In the past trials papers I've done I'm getting around 85%, where as for Biology I'm only confident of getting about 75-80% if I studied - which means less time to study for Math and English.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Your second option is exactly what I'm thinking of. In the past trials papers I've done I'm getting around 85%, where as for Biology I'm only confident of getting about 75-80% if I studied - which means less time to study for Math and English.
If that is the case then you should drop bio, since you're getting 85% for chem in past papers, not only are you getting a higher mark than biology but after scaling the difference is even larger.

HowToNoob101

HSC
If that is the case then you should drop bio, since you're getting 85% for chem in past papers, not only are you getting a higher mark than biology but after scaling the difference is even larger.
So you think that I'll be able to make up for the bad rank I'm currently getting for chemistry? Also with that mark, what rank do you think I'll be getting after the trials (just roughly).

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
So you think that I'll be able to make up for the bad rank I'm currently getting for chemistry? Also with that mark, what rank do you think I'll be getting after the trials (just roughly).
I can't really tell if you'll be able to make up for it because I don't know how much percentage of your assessments are already done, and I also don't know the capacity of the people above you.

HowToNoob101

HSC
I can't really tell if you'll be able to make up for it because I don't know how much percentage of your assessments are already done, and I also don't know the capacity of the people above you.
I see, thank you for your help anyways!

HowToNoob101

HSC
Ok, just found out that my course mark for biology is 92 and 78 for chemistry... Now I'm kind of reluctant of dropping biology. But on the other hand, the trials + trial pract together is 50% of the school internal assessments, so do you guys think that I'll be able to catch up on my chemistry rank if I do well? Because I'm thinking if 50% got me ranked 28, then shouldn't the other 50% be able to make up for my bad rank?

Lul

HSC
drop chem, it will drag you down.

just kidding

drop bio. chem is worth it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey everyone!
I'm currently in year 12 and have trials coming up. I'm thinking of dropping biology as it takes too much of my time.
My current progresses are:
3rd in Physic
9th in Biology
25th in Chemistry
11th in 4U Math
17th in 3U Math
12th in ESL

I was thinking of dropping chemistry over biology due to my ranking, but I realised that biology has a very bad scaling compared to chemistry.. So do you guys think I should drop biology before the trials and focus on improving my chemistry rank?
See how trials go.

But don't drop chem because it has better scaling, you are doing better in bio (bio's scaling is decent too) and scaling won't really compensate it to that extent given your current ranks. Like for instance, for me, you can bet like the 10 mark difference between bio and chem meant that bio was like my best contributor even with scaling in :p But you'll be in a better position to know after trials, and see how much you can drag your chem rank up. Don't completely neglect bio.

HowToNoob101

HSC
See how trials go.

But don't drop chem because it has better scaling, you are doing better in bio (bio's scaling is decent too) and scaling won't really compensate it to that extent given your current ranks. Like for instance, for me, you can bet like the 10 mark difference between bio and chem meant that bio was like my best contributor even with scaling in :p But you'll be in a better position to know after trials, and see how much you can drag your chem rank up. Don't completely neglect bio.
The thing is I'm 1 whole topic behind in Bio and have done no study for it what so ever - knowing the Biology trials is next week..
On the other hand, for Chemistry, I'm confident of getting around 85% - at which the trials is 50% of the internal marks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)