Should I drop 3u maths? (1 Viewer)

Airstrike

HSC
I've been considering this since the mid of year 11...I'm currently in year 12 doing 11units. and I haven't passed (50%)a single 3u test, I'm off by like 3-6 marks
I'm not one of those high ATAR/mark students, I'm just a semi-average (bit below) person
I go to cherrybrook technology > apparently it's 61 in school ranks http://bettereducation.com.au/results/hsc.aspx

For my subjects- rankwise
Bio - 70/107
Maths 2u - 90/149 (not very good for a 3u student)
3u - 75/81
Food - 8/40
English(adv) - 147/231
Business - 41/104

so many advantages and disadvantages to drop
in terms of 2u topics, we only got one to go, so if I drop. I would be ahead of the 2u classes because in 3u, we are 2 topics ahead
Advantages
- more time to study for other subjects
- less worries
- i can improve my 2u mark/rank
- can scale if i do well
Disadvantage
- bad 2u teacher (regardless)
- i'm left with 10units
- double the effort for 1 unit (more work)
- extra classes
- less time to build my basic foundations

Please give me your thoughts and advice, if I'm going to drop, now's a good time since we just finished the Motion 2u topic and only probability is left for 2u, thanks!

(sorry for the long text)

Iwantyou

HSC
Well, if you're not confident with 3u. I advice you to drop.
3u gets quite hefty with the topics to come, if you haven't already done so.
It is true that you have 10 units only if you drop, but even if you do bad in 3u it wont count..
So what's the point? if you know you might do Bad in the trials & hsc :/
If you need to build on your foundation, Then why are you doing 3u? (Not being Rude) just curious.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
3U is actually very easy to improve in. All you have to do is put in the work. But if you can't find motivation for the life of you, just drop it, I guess. I think you should persist, given how well it scales.

Airstrike

HSC
Well, if you're not confident with 3u. I advice you to drop.
3u gets quite hefty with the topics to come, if you haven't already done so.
It is true that you have 10 units only if you drop, but even if you do bad in 3u it wont count..
So what's the point? if you know you might do Bad in the trials & hsc :/
If you need to build on your foundation, Then why are you doing 3u? (Not being Rude) just curious.
nah...all good man, I want these kind of tips
yeah its most likely not going to count towards in my 10units but...I'm saying incase I screw up something in the actual HSC, yeah my parents say its all good and help your 2u mark, scale up etc.
3U is actually very easy to improve in. All you have to do is put in the work. But if you can't find motivation for the life of you, just drop it, I guess. I think you should persist, given how well it scales.
yeah sometimes I can't really put the motivation in...in comparison to other subjects

addoil

HSC
Well out of all the subjects you study, 3u scales very well (if not the best)...
IMO 3u is the easiest and requires the least time/effort compared to all the other extension courses since most of the basics are learnt in 2u already; and even if you do drop it, you will probably just have an additional 3 free/study periods a fortnight (will this really make a big difference according to your studying schedule?).

If I were you I would give it one more assessment's time (the one before the trials) and if it continues to be your worst-scoring subject, drop it straight away

Sainteced

HSC
Uni Grad
I would keep at it:

1. It is one of the more robust subjects in terms of scaling

2. With 3u comes the teachers who teach it (who I assume will be 'better' with a easier to control class compared to 2u).

3. I'm not sure if you have realised but what tends to happen when you take 3u is that 2u becomes considerably easier.

4. Maths is logical. Logical things are easier to study.

5. Practising maths (checking answers and seeing where you went wrong) will invariably lead to an improvement. This process is much faster than in english for example.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd just keep 3U anyway - its scaling gives it a considerable chance to out-scale another subject EVEN if you're not doing good in it, especially Biology.

Airstrike

HSC
Yeah I'll try one more assessment but the one coming up is Application to the physical world + induction
and those are my worst topics :(:
but if I do bad, would it affect the scaling of my other subjects?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, scaling is fixed per subject - it just depends how well you go in it.

Think of scaling as a... multiplier. To get maximum benefit from the scaling, or the multiplier, you want to get the best mark you possibly can.

Airstrike

HSC
so if I get like E2 or 23/50 for HSC
it wouldn't affect the scaling of my other subjects?!
My teacher said it would affect my other subjects and scale down :(

nightweaver066

HSC
It won't affect the scaling of your other subjects.

If you get low in 3U, you will end up with a low scaled mark which means a lower aggregate (total sum of all your scaled marks out of 500) meaning a lower ATAR.

nightweaver066

HSC
It won't affect the scaling of your other subjects.

If you get low in a subject, you will end up with a low scaled mark for that subject which means a lower aggregate (total sum of all your scaled marks for all your subjects out of 500) meaning a lower ATAR.

Airstrike

HSC
alright thanks, I'll wait until I finish the 2u topics and drop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)