Should I Do The Chemistry Bridging Course? (1 Viewer)

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
from the offer of admission letter it states:
"If you have not undertaken HSC Mathematics Extension 1, HSC Chemistry and/or Physics you are strongly advised to complete UNSW's Bridging Courses."

Ive only studied Maths 2 Unit during the HSC so i guess ill definately have to do the Ext1 and Physics bridging course, but im not too sure whether or not i should also do the Chemistry course.

ill be doing the Flexible First Year program and, though still undecided, im thinking ill go with Renewable Energy in the second year. From what ive read it doesnt sound like therell be too much of a focus on chemistry and i do have my sisters HSC Chem textbooks to read over if needed.

From what little yr10 knowledge i have of chemistry, i really do hate the subject and would rather not have to cram for another 50 or so hours of unneeded material before uni starts. Would anyone recommend i do Chemistry bridging course or would i be fine if i just skip it?

billeh

HSC
theres no need to do chem bridging course for engineering!
i didn't :)
chem sucks!

elfm

HSC
i found that doing one was very helpful for my first semester of chem (i did it at usyd and it only went for about 2 weeks. it was good fun learning!). the chem teachers at uni really stink, especially if you get dr singh. they do teach you the basics in uni, but they go over it at a million words per second! year 10 knowledge doesnt cut it unfortunately.

with that said, if you're not doing any chemistry subjects (look in the unsw handbook) then don't worry about it :p

Last edited:

Don_Juan

HSC
Yeah do it, If you really are keen on doing renewable there is focus on biomass energy. plus even if you don't retain anything it'll come back to you when you do it. Engineering Chem is sh*t, yes. But everybody just copies the next guy. just remember to bench with the smart guy during labs, and find a group to copy off all the other times.

Flaming Ninja

Student. Playa. Ninja.
HSC
I glad I did Maths Ext. 1, Physics, Chemistry and Engineering Studies for the HSC. No bridging courses for me.

And Chem sucks. It pulled me down so much for my HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)