Should I do extension 2 in year 12 as a Math accelerated student? (1 Viewer)

abc1010

HSC
I am a year 10 math accelerated student at the moment and will be doing hsc for advanced and ext 1 Math next year in 2024. I am planning to take extension 2 in year 12. If I decided to do extension 2 in year 12 but perform very poorly in the hsc. Would they take my result from ext 1 & 2, or would they take my advance and ext 1 result?

indeed

HSC
You can always give ext. 2 a go for like a term or more in yr 12 and if you don't enjoy it or arent progressing well then you can drop it (as long as you plan out your units so you have sufficient prior)

abc1010

HSC
You can't take ext 2 in year 11, only adv + ext 1 if you're accelerating
Yep, I understand. But by the time I am in year 11, I am basically studying year 12 content. My concern is whether I should do extension 1&2 in year 11, 2024 or start in year 12, 2025 when I've already completed hsc for adv+ ext 1.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yep, I understand. But by the time I am in year 11, I am basically studying year 12 content. My concern is whether I should do extension 1&2 in year 11, 2024 or start in year 12, 2025 when I've already completed hsc for adv+ ext 1.
Given you are mathematically strong, I would start MX2 as soon as possible. The more time you have with MX2, the more you can consolidate your knowledge on the topics.

Else, wait until Year 12.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
I was at a school that did accelerated 3u.

You can start learning the content for ext 2 during year 11, but you most likely wouldn't be able to sit the hsc for it if that's what you're referring to.

abc1010

HSC
I was at a school that did accelerated 3u.

You can start learning the content for ext 2 during year 11, but you most likely wouldn't be able to sit the hsc for it if that's what you're referring to.
I might need to double check with the school, but thanks for the information anyways. :)

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
You can't take ext 2 in year 11, only adv + ext 1 if you're accelerating
OP can do ext 2 in Year 11 next year if he completes preliminary extension this year. He can then study advanced, ext 1 and ext 2 next year and on the day that adv maths & ext 2 exams are held, he can choose to sit ext 2. This is from the combination of experiences of my elder daughter & my son.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
I am a year 10 math accelerated student at the moment and will be doing hsc for advanced and ext 1 Math next year in 2024. I am planning to take extension 2 in year 12. If I decided to do extension 2 in year 12 but perform very poorly in the hsc. Would they take my result from ext 1 & 2, or would they take my advance and ext 1 result?
You should never be thinking in terms of results, you should be thinking in terms of content acquisition and suitability for future studies.

If you have the option to take EX2 AFTER finishing Adv+EX1, I would STRONGLY recommend that you do it. It will give you time to consolidate your understanding of the EX1 content, before moving on to the EX2 topics.

Every EX2 topic is essentially a continuation of Adv+EX1 topics: Complex Numbers is a continuation of algebra/trig/polynomials, proof is a continuation of proof, Vectors is a continuation of algebra/trig/vectors, integrations and mechanics are continuations of algebra/calculus.

If you are planning to attend a high-ranking university to study math/stat/engineering/finance, having taken EX2 will be very convenient, and having taken it in year 12 will mean that the content is still fresh in your mind as you are heading into the university math/stat/engineering/finance courses (many of which will either exactly use EX1/EX2 content, or will move ahead to advanced variations of the EX1/EX2 content).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)