should i combine engo with sumthing (1 Viewer)

richz

hello,

After reading the newspaper yesterday, im considering combining engo with sci or commerce. The article says that it is very popular, but im a bit sceptical of it. Im not really interested in commerce or any science degrees, but i just want to know the benefits of doing a double degree like that ie. does it enhance ur career options, how many more extra hours a day/week etc and also wat is sci adv like, i heard it was a load of bs eg. like u measure the heat released to a specific area by a heater

thnx

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabanacle

HSC
i'm doing engineering/science, and my main aim was engineering but i ended up liking science more, so even if u don't think u'll like, you may end up actually liking it. Also u should be aware that there is A LOT of science in any engineering course anyway, maths and depending on what engineering chem and/or physics.
What engineering are you going to do?

the way i see it, there's two ways to do a combined degree. do say electrical (which i'm doing) and for science major in maths and physics. the advantage of this is that your learning the practical aspects in engineering and the theory in science. In this case employers would probably hire you over a single degree person, and your career opurtunities are broader as u can work in an engineering job or a maths job or a physics job. You can also do honours which will be very highly regarded. That said engineering is a very universal degree so even if u don't do a combined degree u may have these oppurtunities but you'll probably be at a disadvantage. you can also do two unrelated things like say engineering and psychology so if one doesn't work out the other will.

in the end it depends on what u do for both engineering and science to what the job oppurtunities are. currently there is (or will be?) a shortage of engineers according to the smh so job prospects are looking up. other shortages are in stats graduates, chem and physics so if u do one or more of these u'll have a wide range of career oppurtunities.

you don't have any more hours per week, but u do stay a yr longer

can't say about adv science haven't done it, but ur uai suggests u'll definately be able to cope.

don't know about commerce though

hope that helps.

wow that was long

Tabanacle

HSC
another question, what if anything are u interested in for science? you may wish to major in maths (since u need it for all engineering) and physics (i imagine it you'll need it for mechatronics) since they'll strike a balance between reinforcing theory and alternative career paths

EDIT:i'd also like to point out the following. engineering is 4 yrs u (well i thought so anyway) may as well stay an extra yr and get a 2nd degree and also since u'll be doing so much (1.5 yrs) of maths anyway, u can just do another 1.5 yrs get a major for it and be better off than a non combined degree student as u'll most likely have a better understanding of mathematical principles u had to learn anyway.

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If wishing to do science with engineering, you could consider doing a resolution 57 ie do 2 years of engineering, defer to do science, and then come back to finish engineering all in the same time as a combined degree.

richz

Templar said:
If wishing to do science with engineering, you could consider doing a resolution 57 ie do 2 years of engineering, defer to do science, and then come back to finish engineering all in the same time as a combined degree.
how does that work?? how many years of science do u do?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You do two years of engineering, defer to do intermediate and senior science, and return to finish your engineering degree. I'm not sure how it works because I was a combined student anyway and the resolution doesn't apply to me, and now that I am no longer in the faculty. Check with Anna at the engineering office for more details.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)