Should English Be Compulsary Poll (1 Viewer)

Should English Be Compulsary

• Yes

Votes: 276 36.3%
  • No

Votes: 484 63.7%

• Total voters

laurennn91

HSC
Yes, I understand your points as well as a lot that have been posted on here, I guess I didn't really get across what I was trying to say.

What I mean is, a lot of people only look at the HSC as the system which allows you to get into uni, learn the skills for your career, etc

And what I'm trying to say is that to understand why English is compulsory you have to look at education as something bigger than numbers and marks, which I know is hard considering it's stressed ridiculously.

I guess it all comes down to that whole life skills debate about the value of English which I didn't really want to get into.

Kashaya

HSC
Evidently, English (as a HSC subject and indeed grammatical ethos) is still pertinent.

I voted yes, but what I really think should be compulsory is a literacy test BEFORE you're even allowed to obtain an Internet connection in the first place.

There are far too many illiterate individuals polluting Myspace bulletin boards, MSN conversations and forums such as this with unnecessary so-called "abbreviations" - that, in actually, are quite arduous to decipher. I'm all for implementing a WWW licence...

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Kashaya said:
Evidently, English (as a HSC subject and indeed grammatical ethos) is still pertinent.

I voted yes, but what I really think should be compulsory is a literacy test BEFORE you're even allowed to obtain an Internet connection in the first place.

There are far too many illiterate individuals polluting Myspace bulletin boards, MSN conversations and forums such as this with unnecessary so-called "abbreviations" - that, in actually, are quite arduous to decipher. I'm all for implementing a WWW licence...
LoL?? The way you write on msn and myspace is obviously different to how you would write an essay. They're two different forms of writing. If you can't understand simple abbreviations then wtf?? STFU and GTFO of the cyberwebs.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
laurennn91 said:
I'm not sure if this has already been said since I didn't read the whole thread, but it seems like a lot of people (not all) who excel at subjects like science and maths think it's unfair that english is compulsory. Even a lot of people who don't do these subjects also think it's unfair on students they know who are really good at science and maths and I can understand their point of view.

But since when did the HSC become about excelling at only a particular strand of education? Isn't the whole idea meant to be about getting a whole-rounded education so that we can become better human beings generally?

Forgive me if I'm being too philosophic but I just don't think the HSC should be focused on succeeding in the tiniest range of subjects just to get the highest UAI possible.
They should make math compulsary too, so they can fail the right brained side of the state.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
foram said:
They should make math compulsary too, so they can fail the right brained side of the state.
that is the dumbest thing ive heard in this thread so far. and ive heard a lot of dumb things.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
I agree.
I think 2 units of english and 2 units of mathematics should be compulsory in the HSC.
yeah why not just make:
2U of science;
2U of humanities ;
2U of arts & technology;
2U of languages
compulsary
while they are at it :rolleyes:

4unitfreak

HSC
Yes.

Best subject. On the other hand, Maths should be illegal.

:)

dieHSCdie

HSC
i voted no, while i think that english should be compulsary to study in the HSC, i don't think that it should be counted in everyone's UAI. There are plently of smart people out there who are scientifically/mathamatically gifted but can not necessarily analyse a poem etc. Seriously the whole HSC is very strongly focused on english, even in the science subjects its all about answering the correct verb. It's ridiculous.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
why do some people say math and others say maths?

which one is correct?
I always say 'maths' as it is more correct term (maths is always in a plural form). If you don't care about that, just write 'math'. It doesn't matter.

dieHSCdie

HSC
well i think most australians say maths, but americans say math.... but idunno, math just sounds weird to me, i always say maths

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
yeah why not just make:
2U of science;
2U of humanities ;
2U of arts & technology;
2U of languages
compulsary
while they are at it :rolleyes:
I said maths and english because they seem to be the two subjects that relate most to the 'real world' and provide us with important skills that everybody needs.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
everyone needs to learn communication skills, writing and reading etc. effectively. i really dont see how everyone needs to learn maths.

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
everyone needs to learn communication skills, writing and reading etc. effectively. i really dont see how everyone needs to learn maths.
Try telling this to a maths teacher.
Seriously, every year a kid in my class tries to tell the teacher this and they get their head bitten off.
You seriously can't think of ANY reasons why we would need mathematical skills to get by ?

ccc123

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Try telling this to a maths teacher.
Seriously, every year a kid in my class tries to tell the teacher this and they get their head bitten off.
You seriously can't think of ANY reasons why we would need mathematical skills to get by ?
Yes, but many would argue the maths we learn in years 7-10 is sufficient for day-to-day application.

Sandchairs

Shoopin Da Woop
HSC
ccc123 said:
Yes, but many would argue the maths we learn in years 7-10 is sufficient for day-to-day application.
i reakon there should be no compulsary subjects since if there is a Compulsary subject it discriminates against the people who arent strong at it. if you favor english then you will quite probably pick advanced or extension. same for maths... i dont get why i have to do english when its going to drag my UAI down savagely since im maths/science oriented... though if maths was compulsary the english people would hate it since their UAI would get raped by a shitty maths mark.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I rekon it should be 1 unit of maths and 1 unit of english should be compulsory.

To make 4 units (2 math(s), 2 english) compulsory is a bit far...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
I rekon it should be 1 unit of maths and 1 unit of english should be compulsory.

To make 4 units (2 math(s), 2 english) compulsory is a bit far...
Well, I thought 4 units was not sufficient for maths. I was hoping for 5 units at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)