Should Australia be a Republic? (1 Viewer)

Do you support an Australian Republic? If so which model would you pick?

• Yes-Model 1

Votes: 15 15.3%
  • Yes-Model 2

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes-Model 3

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Yes-Model 4

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • Yes-Model 5

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Yes-Model 6

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • No

Votes: 44 44.9%

• Total voters
T

Testpilot

This thread is not directly relating to a current news story. I was wondering what the people of BoS think of the idea of Australia one day becoming a Republic. Also which model would you pick if you think we should be a Republic.

MORE INFORMATION:

The argument for a Republic

The argument against a Republic (i.e. pro Constitutional Monarchy)

Models for an Australian Republic

The Results of the 1999 Referendum said:
Roughly 55% of the nation voted "no" and all states voted "no". This was broadly as expected: the real surprise was the distribution of the votes. As expected, traditionally conservative states and rural areas were strongholds for the constitutional monarchy; but wealthy city electorates mostly voted "yes", and blue-ribbon Labor seats in working-class suburbs voted "no"
Source

EDIT: I am for a Republic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Re: Should Australia be a Republic.

Yes, probably number four. (Really, I'm not too fussed about how it'd work, as long as we're a republic.)

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Why change when it has worked for us for over 100 years :p

HSC

I'm neither here nor there, but regardless I think there are more important things to be lobbying for, and a directly elected president hands out two mandates, and so you have a good deal of competition between the two.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC

I prefer the idea of monarchy - retaining royalty, tradition and all that.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC

I don't really see the necessity of a move towards a republic. The current system works well, and provides relative political stability. Our history, traditions and so much of what we have come to know, has been derived out of our existence as a constitutional monarchy. I reject the proposition that we should forego all that is current due to some person's sense of 'national pride'.

I find it ironic that the same people pushing for the republic, are often the same people who reject the notions of nationalism and 'national identity'... its entirely ideological, and inadvertently, entirely unnecessary.

Optophobia

HSC

Why try to fix something that isn't broken?

The idea of becoming a republic is based on some fantasy that if we become a republic it is going to make us "great" in a way that we aren't now with the constitutional monarchy. What this greatness will entail is never mentioned.. All they know is that they don't want a british monarch as our head of state (despite that she does jack all in the running of the country). Do you want us to have a president like the USA does? *vomits* If you expect me to want to be like the USA then you're kidding yourself. The president of the USA has powers and look at how the USA is.....

Only people who have no sense of history could be republicans.

Last edited:

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC

I like the idea of the Queen because she is apolitical. There is no fuss about election fraud, and she is a shining beacon of the government and people.

If we were to become a republic, I'd like to see Number one, but with name changes for the Australian parliament, and president. For example, approach the Indigienous Australian advisory council and select indigenous titles.

But as far as I'm concerned, the Queen and Governor-General work well, why not keep them?

Affinity

HSC

What wrong with the system now? not that the queen pokes her nose into what happening in canberra ..
and what exactly changes if australia becomes a republic? besides names, except in model 6 where the head of government will not necessary have the support of the parliament, all other changes are superficial. And I don't see how model 6 suits this country.

Last edited:

Optophobia

HSC

politik said:
I like the idea of a Republic, but when most ties have been removed anyway, we're pretty much a republic anyway.
You also like the idea of Al-Jazeera being introduced to Australian television.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC

i don't really think it is necessary. but if we did become a republic, for whatever reason, i would prefer model 4 above the rest of them assuming voting would still be compulsory.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

Who cares? republic or not either way makes little difference.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

if not a republic soon, i'd at least like to see the appointment of the Governer-General to be a more open and transparent system for the appointment of the next GG

then, once the queen is gone, make moves to a republic, i favour model five, it allows the people to elect a person, but gives parliament the power to choose what person would be submitted, so u dont just get some popular celebrity, or popular former politician becomming president

HSC

our system shouldn't change, just leave it as it is but make us become a REPUBLIC!

it's time to remove the queen's saggy face outta our coins and after the Queen, Charles............... :eek::mad1:

Optophobia

HSC

politik said:
Yeah I do. Because it's the best insight into the Middle East available.
Then perhaps the introduction of the playboy channel to the middle east is the best insight into the west available.

I'm sure the middle easterners would have no problem.

Not-That-Bright said:
Number 6 - The americans have gotten it right.
^This better be sarcasm lol^
one_wit said:
if not a republic soon, i'd at least like to see the appointment of the Governer-General to be a more open and transparent system for the appointment of the next GG
!^**BUZZ WORD ALERT**^! !^**BUZZ WORD ALERT**^!

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

I'd agree with NTB because if we are going to change the way our government works then it may as well be an actual change, not one to simply change names.

There's also the fact that there really isn't much point to the Gov. Gen. anymore - the last important thing that office did was dismiss government about 30 years ago and I don't see that happening again. I also can't remember hearing of the Governer General refusing to approve a bill of legislation. So if we're going to have a position to ratify bills from the two houses then it may as well be one that can act without the PMs' heel on his/her throat.

HSC

kami said:
I'd agree with NTB because if we are going to change the way our government works then it may as well be an actual change, not one to simply change names.

There's also the fact that there really isn't much point to the Gov. Gen. anymore - the last important thing that office did was dismiss government about 30 years ago and I don't see that happening again. I also can't remember hearing of the Governer General refusing to approve a bill of legislation. So if we're going to have a position to ratify bills from the two houses then it may as well be one that can act without the PMs' heel on his/her throat.
Yeah I largely agree aswell. I think the American system is fairly sound (not the voting system but the way the government is set up), it's just that they have the wrong people in charge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)