• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Should Alcohol be sold After Midnight? (1 Viewer)

K

katie_tully

most people dont go out until atleast 10:30-11 pm, so if you stop selling alcohol by 12 pm... they're gunna be sitting there for the rest of the night sipping orange juice and having AN AWESOME TIME (*&*^%&#*

kat_mandu

What the?
HSC
joujou_84 said:
drinking is bad for u........after watching the dude next to my mum in the hospital almost coughing up his liver from drinking alcohol i realised how bad its affects are down the track......even if u drink in small quantities...down the track it all adds up.
Are you saying that everyone who drinks alcohol is gonna end up like this guy?

They should defanatly sell alcohol after midnight. Does anyone know what the reasoning behind this law is??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
kat_mandu said:
Are you saying that everyone who drinks alcohol is gonna end up like this guy?

They should defanatly sell alcohol after midnight. Does anyone know what the reasoning behind this law is??
If I recall correctly, alcohol, along with cigarettes are goods of low social utility - this means they are unfavourable socially. That's why governments charge excessive amounts of excise for cigarettes, and dont sell alcohol after midnight, so as to control consumption amounts. It's a form of government intervention into the market economy

K

katie_tully

yes, over the counter alcohol that legally you are not allowed to consume on the street so you have to stay in the bar.
the difference with that is, in a bar your behaviour is being monitored, and after you start getting too drunk they can no longer serve you.

after 12 will mean alcohol can no longer be purchased in mass quantities, like a carton. over bars, you cant exactly order a 30 pack can you.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Not-That-Bright said:
However alcohol is still sold at bars past 1am?
Yep, its called reaching an equilibrium I guess.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
katie_tully said:
yes, over the counter alcohol that legally you are not allowed to consume on the street so you have to stay in the bar.
the difference with that is, in a bar your behaviour is being monitored, and after you start getting too drunk they can no longer serve you.

after 12 will mean alcohol can no longer be purchased in mass quantities, like a carton. over bars, you cant exactly order a 30 pack can you.
we tried it and they kicked us out, without the alcohol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)