Should Albert Speer have recieved the death sentence? (1 Viewer)

Death 2 Albert Speer during Nuremberg Trial?

• Yes. Why Not?

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
no, and u never said i have to justify my opinion so there it is. easier than saying "yes" and having to say why :p

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
no im not the biggest fan of the death sentence, but he should have stayed in gaol until his own death

KarmaKitten

HSC
No.

I actually believe he didnt know about the treatment of the jews or pretended it wasnt happening. Sure, we can judge him now, but what would any of us do in a situation like that?

He should have had a life sentenced and stayed in jail

Jimmy87

i agree, he would of had to of known, he was second in charge to hitler, he knew, the whole of the german population knew i reckon, i agree with kitten, life sentence with no chance of getting out, let him live with his conscious although the nazi's probably didnt have one haha

Carlz135

HSC
I'm not really sure if he should have received the death sentence or not.
NUT i would just like to say, that Speer living and getting out of Spandau means that as historians we can benefit from his memoirs, what he reveals about the Third Reich. Yes many say that his books are even full of lies...which may also be true. But at least he gives us an insight. If all the Nazi leaders were dead- we wouldn't gain that.
History is no good unless there is someone around to tell it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by Carlz135
If all the Nazi leaders were dead- we wouldn't gain that.
History is no good unless there is someone around to tell it.
all Nazi leaders ARE dead by now arent they? :confused:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Heh I don't think even Hitler should've gotten the death sentence.

Estel

Tutor
HSC
a.) Killing is bad, and by principle I'm against the death penalty.
b.) We may be wrong, it may turn out it was somebody's fault. There's no way to know- nothing is really certain until its stood the test of time. I think you'll find history is peppered with examples where mistakes are made and the death penalty isn't exactly what you call the most reversable punishment.
c.) It would've been more fun to turn him over to the victims' families.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Originally posted by Estel
Hitler DIDN'T get the death sentence...he'd already killed himself

meanwhile, i don't believe that Speer should have been killed, the German people need him...if he was still around, a (seemingly) nice, educated upper-middle class man, right at the top of the Nazi power system, and he didn't know then how could they have? they needed the reasurance that he provided them with.
And besides if he had of been killed then we wouldn't have his books, biased though they may be.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
a.) Killing is bad, and by principle I'm against the death penalty.
im so sorry to be spaming but :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Hence see my alternative c.) :p

Lady BEC if Hitler knew he wouldn't face death or something like that I doubt he would've commited suicide.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Not to drag this in a Hitler discussion but Hitler didnt commit suicide to avoid a death sentence...he went that far with all his plans (there was no turning back after the 1930's), he wasnt about to give in and suffer the humiliation of a trial.

Hana

I don't think Speer deserved the death sentence but as others have stated before me he should have got a life sentence in jail. I don't think the 20 years was adequate. I am of the belief that he knew about the Jewish situation but Hitler and the Nazi Party was such a formidable force the amount of character needed to make a stand would be enormous. Don't you reckon? I mean just because he might have known that doesn't immediately mean that he was involved? Some German people knew, so does that mean they should have been tried for the killing of the jews as well? I mean they weren't part of the Nazi regime, but they knew and didn't do anything, so...

life4_rent

yeh.. wat everyone said.. a life sentence or LONGER jail term instead..

i dont know.. im pro-speer.. even tho he's a damn liar.. grrr..

btw.. here's a funi thought; speer died during an erotic moment with a woman 30 years his junior.. it was his first real affair.. lol.. my teacher digs up the WEIRDEST information..

Jennibeans

HSC
fair enough if he'd never been armaments minister & never worked all those prisoners to death in his factories, if he wasn't using prisoners (by the end of the war most of them Jewish) from Himmler's concentration camps then he might've deserved to live. but he got up at the Nurembergs and lied he blamed Fritz Sauckel for everything. He visited several camps (DORA & Mauthesen from memory) & HE KNEW what was going on there. he was also instrumental in kidnapping conscripts from occupied territories for his factories.
You can't forget the Wolters Chronicles here - they pretty much write the death sentence for him they show that Speer lied about knowing of the evacuation of the Jews from Berlin.
and truly does anyone really believe he tried to kill Hitler??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)