Should a transfer from math to math/econ? (1 Viewer)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Second year adv math UNSW considering transferring into adv math/econ dual degree because employment. Well, I'm doing linear models and enjoying that, so maybe getting understanding in econometrics would be great.

Should I transfer or learn econometrics alone? and also I'll learn to code. Do people trust self-acquired knowledge?

In reality, what percentage of students retain most of what they learn from tertiary education? The learning methods and environment in university is not necessarily optimal for everyone and most people worry about their performance rather than what they learn from each subject. Some people can learn things alone and effectively since they can construct an optimal learning experience. So wouldn't you trust self-acquired knowledge (assuming you'll test them), over university knowledge?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i think you assume employers will test you technically on your knowledge

they usually don't

they recognise that university already tests you, so they look at your marks - you can say you self-taught it but it's more of a hassle for them to see if it's true unless it's something people usually learn by themselves like coding

If you like economics go for it, I did a minor in it - helped me in my grad job roles, because I did a wide variety of subjects and did well in pretty much all of them

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
Makes sense.

What qualifies as a minor in economics for your university program?

What grad job roles did you get and do you enjoy it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)