Shortlisted for Young Writers Showcase (1 Viewer)

turbosherri

I got 50... but I didnt get into the Showcase. which is a tad disappointing. but I heard they take works that display a range of subjects within the mediums... or something.

Adam16

Similarly, I received 50 as my HSC mark and was not listed. It seems that a critical response based on Gilbert and Sullivan's ostensible satire is neither vogue, nor eccentric enough to display the diversity of the EE2 candidature. Though I will be interested to see how many major works that do gain a place in the showcase are not ostensibly post-modern.

Congratulations on coming first mate. I look forward to reading your work at some point in the future.

deusexmachina

HSC
Young Writer's Showcase, my Major Work

Right ! Yes, they are looking for a 'broad mix' and the 'best representation of diversity' of major works in the Young Writer's Showcase. And this from the horse's mouth: you won't find out until, probably, February. Yes, not every work that gets 50 gets in...as I was saying, the poetry/screenplays that get in regularly get less :). As for my major work...I'll put it up in the Eng Ext 2 forum for the 2005-ers, capische?

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I really want to read it. Cheers for the upload.

This is the 'utopia in contemporary literature', isnt it?

picaresque

HSC
Shan't we find out until February? I think some of the decisions have been made already however - at least for Short Story, since a teacher at our school is a judge and she told me that mine had been selected - I don't deny that she could mistaken about my work (although that would be rather cruel, raised hopes and all) - but I don't think she would be mistaken that works indeed have been selected already.

Last edited:

deusexmachina

HSC
absolution* said:
I really want to read it. Cheers for the upload.

This is the 'utopia in contemporary literature', isnt it?

Yep, that's the one...although more generally it's an appeal to the academic creators of post-postmodernism to CONSIDER the possibility of applying grand idealism (or grand narrativism, whatever your view) to literary theory. Check out the 2004 Major Work thread.

And no, we shan't (how I love that word) find out until february, although if your teacher's reasonably high-up they might know. I got the feeling that the panel of judges hadn't actually looked at us all yet.

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
deusexmachina said:
Hey everyone, it's Charles Prestidge-King here
Mate, you have one hell of a name. Admittedly i love it :p

deusexmachina

HSC
Hey V, thanks for the 'name' bit...hehe, it serves its purpose. However, if I hear 'that's a very grand name' one more time, there'll be trouble at the old mill.

super katie said:
I'd just like to add that my medium was poetry, I have been shortlisted and I got 50 for my MW :p
Most of my 'poetry and filmscripts don't score as well' is based on wild speculation which is, in turn, based on teacher information. The trend of high marks is, I believe, somewhat geared towards the short story/critical response/blending of the two (they looooove that). That doesn't mean that poems or film scripts or radio plays can't score well - I got the feeling that it's more difficult to achieve within those media. But I could very well be wrong. Oh yeah superkatie, is your last name Steinweg? Just checking...

phatic

HSC
super katie said:
I'd just like to add that my medium was poetry, I have been shortlisted and I got 50 for my MW :p
Any chance that your work will be up for general viewing in the BOS Showcase? I'd love to see what one of the top poetry works is like, since my medium is also poetry...

gorgo31

HSC
Well, I think it's a good time to revive this thread, as I wait for my dreams to be shattered :D Seriously though, I'd love for anyone to post when they find out they have been shortlisted, whenever that may be. I'm sure there will be a few of them in our midst!

Best of luck with study, everyone.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
Anyone know when the major works are going to be marked? Not when we get the marks (which is with the rest of our HSC results of course) but when will the markers be physically marking the things?

J

jhakka

I'm pretty sure that Extension 2 major works are marked quite early. Well before the HSC exams begin, anyway.

gorgo31

HSC
The marking finishes tomorrow. They've been going for just over 4 weeks. Stories get marked by all first, then they split off to mark the different text types.

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
gorgo31 said:
The marking finishes tomorrow. They've been going for just over 4 weeks. Stories get marked by all first, then they split off to mark the different text types.
Thanks gorgo. You got any idea when they let people know if they've been selected or shortlisted for the showcase?

gorgo31

HSC
fleepbasding said:
Thanks gorgo. You got any idea when they let people know if they've been selected or shortlisted for the showcase?
No idea. The Senior Markers / Supervisors are not necessarily the people on the panel who choose which works will be published, thus although the 50's will be finalised by tomorrow, it could take another few weeks to find out about Showcase.

Also, I don't know if receiving a 50 immediately entitles you to being shortlisted. You could have got 50 but not find out until December.

HSC
super katie said:
... and you still haven't posted it on BOS or sent it to me!

It's almost been a year katie, how long do i have to wait? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)