Shortlisted for Young Writers Showcase (1 Viewer)

picaresque

HSC
i was wondering if anyone could shed light on the whole ordeal of being shortlisted for the 2004 Young Writers Showcase - i've heard it implies you recieved a terribly good mark externally for you mw.

however, for those people who didn't recieve the shortlisting: can they still get 50 or 49 externally?

just wondering how the system works.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yes, you can, I do believe.

Random fact, did you know that they have to rank the people who got 50/50? As in our school last year had a girl that came 50/50 first in the state, and 50/50 but THIRD in the state. bahahaha... must be so weird...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Does the show case only apply to people who did a story or does it apply to the other mediums as well?

LaurenB

HSC
All the written mediums at least get into the showcase...i'm not sure about stuff like performance poetry (did anyone even do that?) but poetry and stuff is included as well

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
Yes, you can, I do believe.

Random fact, did you know that they have to rank the people who got 50/50? As in our school last year had a girl that came 50/50 first in the state, and 50/50 but THIRD in the state. bahahaha... must be so weird...
wah? she came 1st and third in the state ?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh, ok.

What school did you go to, if you dont mind me asking. Thats a pretty good achievement to get both 1st and 3rd in the state.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
AsyLum said:
Ahh, ok.

What school did you go to, if you dont mind me asking. Thats a pretty good achievement to get both 1st and 3rd in the state.
Riverside Girls Highschool.

If you want, I'll send their names to you by PM

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh, cool. Nah thats cool, dont want to sound too stalker-ish :)

Hmm, remind me to send my daughter there if i ever have one *nods*

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ziff said:
Does the show case only apply to people who did a story or does it apply to the other mediums as well?
There is a special disc with mulitmedia works...includes performance poetry, websites, videos. etc etc

J

jhakka

Ziff said:
The showcase has all the mediums.

matty_boi17

HSC
N/A
Yeah, to be considered for the Showcase, your mark has to be 50/50. Then they shortlist those who have that mark and narrow it down to the 25 or so that are published. Just because you don't get shortlisted does NOT mean you didn't receive a 49 or 50 out of 50. :)

deusexmachina

HSC
Showcase

Hey everyone, it's Charles Prestidge-King here (yeah, I came first).
I was shortlisted, but my answer for (do I have a 50?) is -
NO, you don't have to get a 50 for your work to be shortlisted. Last year there were 6 50s in the state, and I think thats a general trend - and there are more than 20 items in the showcase.
There's a definite disparity between text types and marks - critical responses and short stories tend to do better than poems and screenplays. Because they're looking for a range, they can't just accept the top works. Some are chosen purely for a fantastic reflection statement, some are chosen because the major work is particularly strong - but the work can't just be a 'mark-getter', it has to be readable.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
deusexmachina said:
NO, you don't have to get a 50 for your work to be shortlisted. Last year there were 6 50s in the state, and I think thats a general trend - and there are more than 20 items in the showcase.
There's a definite disparity between text types and marks - critical responses and short stories tend to do better than poems and screenplays. Because they're looking for a range, they can't just accept the top works. Some are chosen purely for a fantastic reflection statement, some are chosen because the major work is particularly strong - but the work can't just be a 'mark-getter', it has to be readable.
hey, congratulations!!! thats such an awesome achievement! :)

cheeky panda im two off so i kinda know how ur feeling lol

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
deusexmachina said:

Haha, you obviously haven't actually read some of the shite that goes in. :p Some of the crits are so mind numbing - yet so amazingly academic.
Congrats on your results. :)

deusexmachina

HSC
Academia

Oh right - you mean the '50 footnotes a page' critical responses? I know what you mean. And yes, they're unreadable. But they're the best examples of the form, I guess....

a tip for 2005: blur text types, they like it (it's postmodern). I did a short story but gave it a polemical-essay style of approach, i.e. I had a clear thesis that was developed throughout the short story and finally concluded. The 'creative response' is an increasingly popular choice, because it shows you can write both creatively and critically.

HSC
N/A
I'm quite blown away by that BOS post alone :p but congratulations all the same. It sounds like you definately know your stuff, and deserved to top the state. Good work!

mike666

Hey, if you got a letter saying you were shortlisted, but then nothing else... does that mean you didn't make it? So confused... when is it published?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)