CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
Buiboi said:
what did you guys put for the
8marker:

reasons to monitor oxygen levels:

the experiment you had to make:

ummm thats all i can remember lol?!?
Man, "reasons to monitor oxygen levels" I blabbed on about how important it is for monitoring the health of the patient, erm and how to detect disorders in the lungs etc

integrity012

HSC
for importance of oxygen thingo i said that um...

circulation is important to be maintained so that the patient doesn't die????

haha i don't know...

what did you guys write for the beech sappling experiment?

AHayek5

HSC
for the 8 marker i just spoke about natural selection,Darwins theory,endotherm ectotherm, homeostasis, changes in physical conditions ?? i dont know if that was right though.

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
integrity012 said:
for importance of oxygen thingo i said that um...

circulation is important to be maintained so that the patient doesn't die????

haha i don't know...

what did you guys write for the beech sappling experiment?
LOL doesnt die LOL i was gonna say that...but said they needed constant monitoring to ensure that the body is functioning normally, low oxygen levels can pose health problems and thye need to monitor considering that blood will be loss during surgery and therefore oxygen

for hte 8 marker my friend mentioned of homeostasis as well, i didnt but, waht about homeostasis is related to the changes in external temperatures? my friend said because internal temperautres will increase? but then the change is not that significant its 0.7 per decade to cause a disruption in the internal environment?

i used physical conditions, natural selection, darwins theory, competition for resources and all that

Last edited:

integrity012

HSC
Buiboi said:
LOL doesnt die LOL i was gonna say that...but said they needed constant monitoring to ensure that the body is functioning normally, low oxygen levels can pose health problems and thye need to monitor considering that blood will be loss during surgery and therefore oxygen

for hte 8 marker my friend mentioned of homeostasis as well, i didnt but, waht about homeostasis is related to the changes in external temperatures? my friend said because internal temperautres will increase? but then the change is not that significant its 0.7 per decade to cause a disruption in the internal environment?

i used physical conditions, natural selection, darwins theory, competition for resources and all that
omigash= = i am liek d.e.a.d haha for the 8 marker i wrote about.....

evolutionary changes and adaptations? so i wrote about how australia experienced significant climate change... and so all the animals and plants have evolved to suit the enivornment (long-term)

and short term i talked about... like how... leaves close their stomates..... .... haha

Anonymous1

HSC
8 Marker:

-Australia continuing to drift north - gradual rise in temp..
Plant adaptations to conserve water may become ineffective - excess transpiration...
Plants with better adaptations will survive - Darwin - evolution - natural selection - i.e. Spinifex.
In reference to annimals - physical change in env - environmental pressures - competition - survival of the fittests - i.e. cammel (batter adapted) Platypus may become extinct.. can't remember.. stuff like that...

Oxygen Q - needed for cellular respiration - oxygen being lost in blood during operation - excess amounts can lead to problems - cardiac arrest? :S

For the experiment
Pots incubated at different temperatures. All variables kept constant exept temperature. Control - Plant in Tasmania during winter. Something hopeless like that...

How 'simple' was everyone's DNA replication flow chart? Had about three series of about 2-3 lines. Process requires more detail than polypeptide synthesis, so wasn't so 'simple' - haha...

The gene question in relation to health -

Each gene codes for an amino acid - mutations = disfunctional proteins/enzymes = reduced health.

Gene expression - Cell differentiation - mutations - rapid cell growth - cancer.. can't remember now..

Question stumped me, didn't study that section.What did everyone put down?

mmm.. can't remember anything else for now... MC was a little tricky - took some thought.

kobina

HSC
hmm seems good enuf
the onli problem i had was the possible genotypes question
i put Ab,aB,ed,Ed
i hear some people put Abed,ABED,AbEd etc. is it four or 2 letters man????????????????????????????///

Punksta07

HSC
Anonymous1 said:
8 Marker:

-Australia continuing to drift north - gradual rise in temp..
Plant adaptations to conserve water may become ineffective - excess transpiration...
Plants with better adaptations will survive - Darwin - evolution - natural selection - i.e. Spinifex.
In reference to annimals - physical change in env - environmental pressures - competition - survival of the fittests - i.e. cammel (batter adapted) Platypus may become extinct.. can't remember.. stuff like that...

Oxygen Q - needed for cellular respiration - oxygen being lost in blood during operation - excess amounts can lead to problems - cardiac arrest? :S

For the experiment
Pots incubated at different temperatures. All variables kept constant exept temperature. Control - Plant in Tasmania during winter. Something hopeless like that...

How 'simple' was everyone's DNA replication flow chart? Had about three series of about 2-3 lines. Process requires more detail than polypeptide synthesis, so wasn't so 'simple' - haha...

The gene question in relation to health -

Each gene codes for an amino acid - mutations = disfunctional proteins/enzymes = reduced health.

Gene expression - Cell differentiation - mutations - rapid cell growth - cancer.. can't remember now..

Question stumped me, didn't study that section.What did everyone put down?

mmm.. can't remember anything else for now... MC was a little tricky - took some thought.
Well done, you answered everything correctly! I had the same line of thought as you except for the 8 marker, i emphasised on how Australia's Geographical history (with its sudden climate change from the wet climates to a dryer one as the continent moved north) can predict how rapid climate change can affect our biota in the future, for example the Australian mammals developed molar teeth to consume tougher vegetation..and how we see that adaptation today and etc. So im hoping your right.

The only question that made me quiver was one asking for the list of combinations of the allelles...I noticed trails of dotted lines linking the chromosomes that were parralel to each other, thinking they were chromatids, i used its corresponding allleles to obtain four combinations.

Over-all it was the easiest HSC examination I've done thus far....Commuinication was easy 20 marks, good luck for everyone, i know you all did well! Im off to study 3unit

Anonymous1

HSC
Yeah, the allelles one was a bit of a bitch. I changed my answer just before they asked for pens down. Originally I had 4 different pairs chosen in longitude sequence e.g assuming these are two of the four chromosomes given:

A b C D
A b c g

I would hae picked AA, and Cc, but ended up changing it to Ab, and cg, I think....Definately a tough one.

Last edited:

fartx2

HSC
8 marker?

talked about enzymes a bit, how they work in a narrow range, and how they are important.
eventually, animals cant keep up with homeostasis (such as kangaroos licking forearms etc) and die due to inability to cool down its body temp (refer to enzymes)

causes short term death (duh), and leads to gradual changes inspecies. evolution, natural selection etc.

then i said that it would screw over ecosystems because it allows already heat resistant organisms to rise up the food chain, that causes further short term species loss

somewhereelse

HSC
for the oxygen one i said it needed to be monitored because if levels drop too low it leads to hypoxia which can cause brain death

8 marker.. a whole lot of bs about kangaroos and eucalypts and how australia used to be rainforesty but got drier & how thats kinda similar to temp increase, and how in the short term it wouldnt affect endotherms too much but it might affecet ectotherms..

i dont hink my flow chart was very flowcharty

and i put all 4 pots in the same greenhouse, temp altered every 2 days until it reaches the average for a tassie winter, after growing them up to the size where they would drop their leaves in winter, and had no control.. probably screwed that bit..

overall pretty good though :)

squeak29

HSC
I dunno why you are all bitching about the oxygen question, it was a simple state an advantage which they gave you in the table...and if i remember it was only like 5 lines

8 mark
seeing as it was 0.7 degrees per decade i didn't really talk about short term effects, depends on your definition of short term really, then i just blabbed on about how rising temperature would cause changes to physiology, behavioural patterns, darwins theory, water conservative plants like Hakea beong more prolific and force others to make similar adaptations and other such things

Finished an hour early so walked out of that borefest as did half of my class (20 people)

oh and alleles was damn easy....how could you mess that up....it was just looking up at the picture and writing down what letters were on the cromatids vertically (crossing over was involved)

Last edited:

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
yeah for alleles i had 2 letter combos, but im doubting that its right

for dna replication...therse no involvement of protein synthesis? synthesis is teh production of polypeptides=chain of amino acids?

dna rep was
1)unwinds
2)enzyme unzips it
3)2 single stranded dna are produced
4)loose nucleotides come and form the complementary strand
5)2 double stranded dna are produced
6)dna rep

what did you guys write for the changes in teh composition of blood 'along the capillary'?

Last edited:

shona1990

HSC
Experiment:
shona1990 said:
It was "Plant, wait for them to grow, then in winter, keep track of the temp, and watch when they fall off, put your results in a table/graph"
I felt so stupid writing it... But it was such a random question. Blergh, oh well.
LMAO. Was shit! :)
8 marker:
shona1990 said:
I just bullsh*tted my way through that. Something to do with no huge impact currently, but in the long term, would have huge effects etc, which humans are currently cutting down on carbon emissions... and how Aust plants and animals have adapted well to a hot environment, espec that of the desert, and gave examples, and how they may evolve further to deal with changes etc

shona1990

HSC
Buiboi said:
what did you guys write for the changes in teh composition of blood 'along the capillary'?
Umm something about carrying O2 to the body cells, exchange of materials through the cell walls, wastes, deoxygenated blood etc

amyg238

HSC
Oh man, I just realised my beech plant procedure was really wrong.
Well I chose 2 plants at room temperature and 6 in a fridge which would have its temperature lowered 2degrees everyday. BUT I forgot to mention how the hell the plants would photosynthesise in a frige!

Ah well.

tunesonic

HSC
squeak29 said:
I dunno why you are all bitching about the oxygen question, it was a simple state an advantage which they gave you in the table...and if i remember it was only like 5 lines
i am quite certain it said "EXPLAIN an advantage..."

for the 8 marker, i simply tried to cover as many dot pts as possible...lol

bmwz4

HSC
amyg238 said:
Oh man, I just realised my beech plant procedure was really wrong.
Well I chose 2 plants at room temperature and 6 in a fridge which would have its temperature lowered 2degrees everyday. BUT I forgot to mention how the hell the plants would photosynthesise in a frige!

Ah well.
dw i did that too....:( oh well

Well questions that bugged me:
firstly 3 of the multiple choice i got 3 wrong! shameful!

the different alleles question where u list the genotypes (another 2 marks gone) i made it up like EeB i dno...

human story was good what did ppl have for the estimation of the human population 1000 years ago?

the flowchart annoyed me because i forgot to mention DNA polymerase oh well i hope i do well....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)