• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Shining (1 Viewer)

Arctopus

HSC
A Norwegian band that plays, what they call, Blackjazz. Recently got their 2010 album, fittingly enough called Blackjazz, and have been finding it hard to pull myself away from it.

Just sharin'

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQ_qD5LFFGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PQ_qD5LFFGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

If ye like what you hear, here's the download link; http://www.mediafire.com/?nlymedngmmh

They also do an awesome cover of King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Last edited:

Arctopus

HSC
thought this was about the DSBM band

that wasn't bad though.
Funnily enough I hadn't heard of the Swedish Shining until I heard the Norwegian one. They must have come to some sort of agreement, because I know they're pretty in with the Scandinavian bm scene... well they're well known enough to get Grutle from Enslaved to do guest vocals on a track.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
That entire first minute of the clip was brilliant. Jazz and metal does make for some excellent fusion music.

Here's some instrumental progressive jazz metal; Planet X.

[youtube]Ffs2HTj6GFQ[/youtube]

Cheers for the link.

Arctopus

HSC
Ah yeah, Planet X. Virgil Donati is a machine... a crazy crazy machine. When I first heard Sherinian's stuff with Dream Theater I didn't think he was all that flash, but once he had left I think DT's whole technical thang rubbed off on him.

boganxcore

HSC
i dont really like metal that much but both those bands (shining and planet x) are pretty interesting

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's a really interesting sound, I don't think I've heard the genre fusing quite like this before. And I like the drummer, some cool beats in there.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
It's a really interesting sound, I don't think I've heard the genre fusing quite like this before. And I like the drummer, some cool beats in there.
Really? Atheist is probably one of the most prominent death metal group now days. They are American technical jazz death metal.

I think one of the best things about the drumming are those unusual time signatures. The drumming sounds really off beat, like a polyrhythm.

Ah yeah, Planet X. Virgil Donati is a machine... a crazy crazy machine. When I first heard Sherinian's stuff with Dream Theater I didn't think he was all that flash, but once he had left I think DT's whole technical thang rubbed off on him.
I'm glad he left Dream Theater. I mean, they have some really good songs but their albums are so inconsistent in terms of quality and sound. Not to mention... LaBrie's vocals are just as bad for DT as Bush's are for Anthrax.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Really? Atheist is probably one of the most prominent death metal group now days. They are American technical jazz death metal.
Yeah, I know Atheist. The genre's themselves are similiar (or the same), but I'd say they sound different musically. Though I really have to go back and listen to some more Atheist. I haven't heard them in so long.

Arctopus

HSC
it was good till the lyrics started
No other vocal style or effects would've worked in that sort of musical setting, if you think about it.

I think one of the best things about the drumming are those unusual time signatures. The drumming sounds really off beat, like a polyrhythm.

I'm glad he left Dream Theater. I mean, they have some really good songs but their albums are so inconsistent in terms of quality and sound. Not to mention... LaBrie's vocals are just as bad for DT as Bush's are for Anthrax.
Yeah, the first beat he plays is in 7/4 and then it swaps through that and other signatures. That and the chop and change sort of stuff makes it interesting. Like going from that 7/4 beat into the blasts he does and stuff.

Yeah, I used to be a DT fanatic but then I wised up and saw how turd some of their stuff actually was.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
No other vocal style or effects would've worked in that sort of musical setting, if you think about it.

Yeah, the first beat he plays is in 7/4 and then it swaps through that and other signatures. That and the chop and change sort of stuff makes it interesting. Like going from that 7/4 beat into the blasts he does and stuff.
Yeah, that's his trademark, switching between time signatures with such ease. I think Donati's weirdest on is in 2116 where he's doing 21/16 or something. And in Ground Zero, he's playing 2 of them at the SAME time, 5/8 and 7/8.

[FONT=&quot]When I first heard it, I thought Donati was on 5/8 and the bass/guitar lines were on 7/8 but then I counted it and he really was doing 2 at once.[/FONT] It's the first time I've heard of such a thing.

Yeah, I used to be a DT fanatic but then I wised up and saw how turd some of their stuff actually was.
At least it wasn't Epica or Dark Tranquility. :uhoh:

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Dunno lol, typed it up on Microsoft and the font size wouldn't change when I pasted it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Go with Notepad for copy pasta. It neutalises all text fonts, sizes, and special effects. :)

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Yeah, I just happened to be doing my chem stuff at the time lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)