Shelter syllabus (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Hey guys, who is doing shelter?
Ive finished the module and am just completely my summary notes ive come across a pretty ambiguous dot point though.
The first one under Legal Issues and Remedies
" private housing: the advantages and disadvantages of separate housing compared with shared space, mortgages, personal loans, credit reporting, insurance, common property, owners' corporation, transfer and lease , type of title, problems, neighbours , dispute resolution, protection for buyers. "
The underlined parts im having trouble with. i really dont know what to say on transfer and lease, there is no defined section on this in either of my text books! "problems" is that only in strata blocks? cause that is all both of my texts books investigate, they dont mention problems in separate housing... do i need to cover this? and similarly with neighbours - is it just within strata blocks or also separate housing?
If anyone could help?
Thanks guys xoxo

clerisy

HSC
Transfer and lease- I just did a few points on the differences between strata, community & company title for shared space when you want to sell/lease/etc your unit. It's incredibly repetitive though considering these also apply to other areas of the syllabus, so I don't know if that's right.

Problems & neighbours irritate me. I'd figure the neighbours part would focus on shared space because later on in the syllabus there's a whole section on neighbour disputes. Problems is too vague-- do they want problems with every single issue (tenancy, separate housing, shared space, ATSI, public housing...) which is stupid, because you do that elsewehere in the syllabus & it would again be repetitive. So I focused on shared space for that, rattling on about issues of pets, common property etc

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Disputes with neighbours!

This is sort of easy, there's a bunch of legislation for it and then just spin off a few media articles. That's really about it.

So in disputes with neighbours the two main groups that will be involved for arbitration or mediation will be the Local Council or Community Justice Centre. And if you're in a Strata or Company title then the respective organisations for those.

Basically just mention that CJCs are "resource efficient" but totally useless as their decisions aren't "enforceable".

Next:
Legislation that relates to this to some extent:
Dividing Fences Act (1991) - stipulates that both neighbours must pay for the up-keep (bad pun!) of the fence and a lot of other boring stuff.

Protection of Environment Operations Act (1997) - relates to noise restrictions

Companion Animal Act (1998) - Allows the local council to declare dogs as dangerous and impose fines on their owners

Strata and Company title ones.
Cases:
Frater v. Finlay (1968) - Easements are enforceable e.g. for the maintenance of the driveway or somesuch

Lord v. Hiscock (Unknown but they were fussing over a carport) - the Local Council approved a silly application that made the carport too close to the boundary so they went to court and the judge said that he's not going to order it moved as it would be "unduly oppressive" to Hiscock :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)