Sex Ed in schools (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Missed this in the paper yesterday Health booklet's message: teen sex can be fun

smh said:
Britain's National Health Service has a message for teens: Sex can be fun.

Health officials are trying to change the tone of sex education by urging teachers to emphasise that sexual relations can be healthy and pleasurable instead of simply explaining the mechanics of sex and warning about diseases.
To be quite honest I think that this is long overdue. In my opinion the obsessive focus on the dangers and risks of sex causes students to at best tune out and at worst be drawn to it through a sort of reverse psychology.

Ultimately I think sex is an enjoyable activity and young people are going to experiment. Trying to stop them with scare tactics and harm minimisation programs doesn't seem to work - and why would it? It's a pretty enjoyable activity.

Would we hold a sports lesson without talking about how fun sports is? What about skydiving? Sure there is serious business to be talked about - but acknowledging that it is a fun activity would seem to give teachers and parents a legitimacy in the eyes of students who know it is a fun activity. You need that legitimacy to engage with students and get the message across.

So as much as I'm sure that this will irk some of the more conservative segments of the community and even this forum (iron) I think that acknowledging that sex is fun and healthy is basically an unreservedly good thing.

Anyone else?

PS: Look no dot-points... was very tempted though... ;)

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
Praise be to Allah.

Western societies have become the worst disgrace in human history, with perverted and deviant behaviour and corruption of human nature. “Sexual madness” has become the preoccupation of all classes of society, and not even their children in their homes or schools are safe from them. Conferences are being held and resolutions are being passed about the “necessity” of spreading “sex education” in the schools of those deviant societies. They are not content only to corrupt themselves, but they are also hastening to spread it to the Arab and Muslim countries so that they will follow in their footsteps of temptation and perversion, so some of those who were deceived by them followed them in that, and Allaah saves whomever He wills by His guidance and help.

The one who wants to save himself and his family should not agree to be a part of those societies, or to live among them, and he should refuse to take part in what they are doing of haraam things, evils and perversions.

Last edited:

B_B_J

Banned
HSC
I think most 14 year olds have very little knowledge of masturbation and fingering techniques.

This may increase teen pregnancies when some "kids"/teens want to know what the real deal is about.

Gosford

HSC
doesnt really matter tbh- its a screwed (ie. flawed) sex ed system anyway
society sucks and theres no going back...tbh I wouldnt even bother trying to manage it in through sex ed!
and i reckon I got most of my 'knowledge' of the tv through shows such as 2 and a half men etc.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
If only drug education could operate in the same way.

By focusing on whipping up hysteria, when a young person first tries a particular drug, and finds it's all glamour and none of the fuss, they'll be inclined to think every word they were told was a joke and ignore all precautions.

A better approach would be to offer the honest truth that you'll probably feel fantastic, but you've got to be careful and informed about what you're doing.

Kids need to be told that heroin will give you the greatest feeling on earth. But there are risks, and if you were to use it, there's a certain way to go about it.

Gosford

HSC
If only drug education could operate in the same way.

By focusing on whipping up hysteria, when a young person first tries a particular drug, and finds it's all glamour and none of the fuss, they'll be inclined to think every word they were told was a joke and ignore all precautions.

A better approach would be to offer the honest truth that you'll probably feel fantastic, but you've got to be careful and informed about what you're doing.

Kids need to be told that heroin will give you the greatest feeling on earth. But there are risks, and if you were to use it, there's a certain way to go about it.
great post
ROFL

loller

Banned
HSC
N/A
kids need to be told that heroin is the greatest feeling on earth but they will need to be careful to not spend every waking moment looking for their next hit and becoming criminals to fund their habit and letting it take over every facet of their lives and also to be responsible cunts and dispose of their needles

wont happen though cos why care about all that shit and other people when you are experiencing the greatest feeling ever

hence

drugs are bad

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
by focusing on whipping up hysteria, when a young person first tries a particular drug, and finds it's all glamour and none of the fuss, they'll be inclined to think every word they were told was a joke and ignore all precautions.

+1

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I find sexual education in schools to be completely useless, and it needs to stop being taught by teachers who are apparently uneasy with the idea of saying penis three times in 60 seconds.

It needs to be realistic, it needs to be graphic and the psychology more than the 'thrusting in and out' needs to be touched on.

Sex needs to stop being seen as such a taboo subject. I have kids come in to work asking for condoms, and it takes every ounce of courage for them to ask me and I just think, why? Why are they so conditioned to be so embarrassed to ask for contraceptives.

I also disagree with the emphasis on abstinence. Kids are going to have sex. Accept it. Of course it should be mentioned that realistically, abstinence is the only 100% contraception out there.

But really the key areas are
- The emotional effects of sex. Chances are it is not going to be awesome the first time you do it. There are ways in which you can make it more enjoyable. Sex is not mechanical! Engage in foreplay, get excited. The more lubricated and less tense you are down there, less chance of the condom breaking!
- The pathology of STD s and their transmittence.
- The methods of contraception available
- Honesty - with your sexual partner
- Available help should you find that you are pregnant, with an STD or rendered emotionally vulnerable after a traumatic 30 seconds of pubescent sex.

All of this should be done by health professionals, imo. Not teachers.

inhinyero

HSC
The bottom line of sex education should be "Fornication is good and is biblical and should be done within the bounds of marriage by married couples and by married couples and by married couples only."

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The bottom line of sex education should be "Fornication is good and is biblical and should be done within the bounds of marriage by married couples and by married couples and by married couples only."
Honestly. What is wrong with you people? Why must there always be one cunted wanker who has to try and derail the thread.

There is room for one jester, Iron. Everyone else gtfo

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
This really applies to sex, drugs - anything society deems inappropriate in today's youth. Ignoring the hypocrisy that generations have done precisely the same actions, there are a lot of benefits in positivity in supposed taboo subjects.

In marketing, we talk about the need to encourage people to stay with a business, not to penalise them for leaving, which builds resentment. I see no harm in stating that sex is fun - it is more effective than generic scare campaigns, like that dude from Mean Girls - "don’t have sex, because you will get pregnant and die".

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I find sexual education in schools to be completely useless, and it needs to stop being taught by teachers who are apparently uneasy with the idea of saying penis three times in 60 seconds.

It needs to be realistic, it needs to be graphic and the psychology more than the 'thrusting in and out' needs to be touched on.

Sex needs to stop being seen as such a taboo subject. I have kids come in to work asking for condoms, and it takes every ounce of courage for them to ask me and I just think, why? Why are they so conditioned to be so embarrassed to ask for contraceptives.

I also disagree with the emphasis on abstinence. Kids are going to have sex. Accept it. Of course it should be mentioned that realistically, abstinence is the only 100% contraception out there.

But really the key areas are
- The emotional effects of sex. Chances are it is not going to be awesome the first time you do it. There are ways in which you can make it more enjoyable. Sex is not mechanical! Engage in foreplay, get excited. The more lubricated and less tense you are down there, less chance of the condom breaking!
- The pathology of STD s and their transmittence.
- The methods of contraception available
- Honesty - with your sexual partner
- Available help should you find that you are pregnant, with an STD or rendered emotionally vulnerable after a traumatic 30 seconds of pubescent sex.

All of this should be done by health professionals, imo. Not teachers.
I agree with this whole heartedly.

I'd also think there should be some effort made to remove the stigma suffered by teenage mothers and HIV sufferers in these sorts of things. Too many people see HIV as the dark unknowable thing that doesn't happen to them even though they know the facts. It's not just the doom and gloom machine that we need to remove from learning about sex, we need to do the same with other things too.

As a tangent, I think our society at large needs a revolution in how it treats sex but that's a whole topic in of itself.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
I agree with this whole heartedly.

I'd also think there should be some effort made to remove the stigma suffered by teenage mothers and HIV sufferers in these sorts of things. Too many people see HIV as the dark unknowable thing that doesn't happen to them even though they know the facts. It's not just the doom and gloom machine that we need to remove from learning about sex, we need to do the same with other things too.

As a tangent, I think our society at large needs a revolution in how it treats sex but that's a whole topic in of itself.
Also, and not to be LOL! here...

But in the interests of providing the broader picture, I think anal sex needs to be mentioned also. Sex should not only include the heterosexual menu, but anal sex and other methods of sexual stimulation - in the interests of a balanced education.

B_B_J

Banned
HSC

But in the interests of providing the broader picture, I think anal sex needs to be mentioned also. Sex should not only include the heterosexual menu, but anal sex and other methods of sexual stimulation - in the interests of a balanced education.
oh c'mon. I whole heatedly disagree with this.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Discussion of anal sex would break down the stigma of homosexuality. Children are easily impressionable at 13/14, an acceptance of all forms of sexuality could break down barriers. The status quo of fear and loathing of gays needs to change. I know people at my school who were vilified for no other reason than being gay.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

Well, I wanted someone else to say it, haha, but definitely. My thoughts, personally, are that we should stop strictly defining sex and work with 'sex ed' from there; sex doesn't require penetration or a vagina or a penis, our entire body is a sexual organ in its way and if we de-stigmatise our body as a whole then that can only be a good thing and acknowledgement of anal sex is a part of that. The way society puts the lights off starfish hetero fumble onto a pedestal is nothing if not harmful to the sexual development of the next generation and a healthy social acceptance of sex.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)