• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Severely disfigured cancer patient's right to die refused in France (1 Viewer)

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
death is never dignified. Its not something you can ever make good, its always messy and its always sad.

If we were to make legislating this legal, i would want to see some psych evaluations , and also by a logical extension, normal suicide should be legalised if they can pass a psych evaluation aswell.

I dont really agree with suicide or a "right to die" but whatever, it doesnt effect me and i can be pretty liberal so go for it. I imagine that if i was in a similiar situation i would want to live for as long as possible, but i can see how having the option to end it if you want can be valuable, and hey things can change so that if i am in that situation maybe i will want to end it.

The concept of rights has always baffled me. Its like we have a "right" to this and that, like a right to life, a right to liberty, prosperity, and as some people have said here, a right to death. The thing is, its not like that. People regularly get denied their liberty[prison being the state sanctioned one, in some countries you can be inprisoned for your political views], people are murdered all the time, including state sanctioned[caital punishment being one example, war another, police special powers yet another]

Basically to me it seems we only have a right to things that we can take and protect for ourselves. Sometimes the government will defend that right, but usually it is up to the individual to ensure your supposed "rights" arent taken for granted.

HSC
I don't know what exactly people mean and I suggest it's usually a rhetorical device, but philosophically rights they are supposing that there are some things which should be taken as axiomatic truths in a moral system. It's the deontological approach to ethics.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Well, she did it:
Woman found dead after court rejects euthanasia

A severely disfigured French woman was found dead at her home only two days after a court rejected her request for the right to die, in a case that has stirred much emotion in France.

The high court in Dijon, eastern France, decided to side with the prosecution which argued that current legislation does not allow the doctor of 52-year-old former schoolteacher Chantal Sebire to prescribe lethal drugs.

In her appeal to the court, Sebire had said she did not want to endure further pain and subject herself to an irreversible worsening of her condition. She asked the court to allow her doctor to help her end her life.

Sebire's body was found at her home in the eastern town of Plombieres-les-Dijon in the Bourgogne region overnight.

The cause of her death was not immediately known, Dijon prosecutor Jean-Pierre Allachi said.
Full story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)