Separation Problems (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
I am not getting this problem. I know the answer is obvious, but it's just not getting through.

"2. How could the following separations be achieved?
e) potassium dichromate from a potassium dichromate-ammonium chloride mixture; the solubilities of potassium dichromate and ammonium chloride are roughly the ssame in hot water but potassium dichromate is much less soluble than ammonium chloride in cold water"

Is the separation method crystallisation or something after dissolving the ammonium chloride?

I'm posting this in HSC instead of Prelim. as you would have had more experience with this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
chill mixture then pour it through a filter paper

this will let the potassium dichromate be filtered into the filter paper..

then in ure beaker it will be ammonium chloride

to get the potassium dichromate from the filter paper..
u soak it in hot water..

then now u have 2 solutions.. so u just dry them out :)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
A hint for the future:

"2. How could the following separations be achieved?
e) potassium dichromate from a potassium dichromate-ammonium chloride mixture; the solubilities of potassium dichromate and ammonium chloride are roughly the ssame in hot water but potassium dichromate is much less soluble than ammonium chloride in cold water"
When you are given little facts like these, it's almost always because they're required in the answer. Keep an eye out for them as they will steer you onto the right track.

I_F

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou +Po1ntDeXt3r+ and insert_username!:) Pat yourselves on the back for being very nice (and helpful!) people!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)